Dry time frustration

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Again, not scientific at all, but my dry times with my new 12” Devastator seem noticeably longer than with my Bentley.

I just did a test on some cheap, poly cut-pile this morning.

The Devastator still locked down on that thick carpet where the Bentley didn’t.

I did a couple rooms with each wand.

The Bentley rooms felt noticeably drier and barely damp. I was running the Bentley at 7.5 flow at 400 psi.

The Devastator rooms felt much more damp and even looked less dry. 6 flow at 400 psi.

The customer is a buddy and he just told me the rooms I used the Devastator on are still damp. The Bentley rooms are dry.

Could the locking down with the Devastator be causing less airflow and thus wetter carpet?

Or

Could it be my 36 blower needs a 2 inch tube?

I had 2” hose all the way to the wand.

Thanks

• Haha
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I thought about that. But, if I liked the Bentley I wouldn’t have spent $1,500 on a Devastator. The Bentley is junk.

I’m just thinking maybe the 14” is the better choice for my set-up.

I’m not really comparing the Bentley and Devastator - I’m comparing sizes.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Different wands require different techniques.
You have to adjust to the new wands characteristics.

But for that kind of money there should be a trial period in case you don't like it. A restock fee but for $1800 it should be perfect.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
if its locking down more its possibly pulling from deeper in the pile vs a wand not locking down and drying the surface better?

also a new glide to take into consideration

Im not familiar with either wand but generally hate the 1st week with new anything

*what type of glide are you running on it, holes, slot, hybrid?

Last edited:

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
if its locking down more its possibly pulling from deeper in the pile vs a wand not locking down and drying the surface better?

also a new glide to take into consideration

Im not familiar with either wand but generally hate the 1st week with new anything

*what type of glide are you running on it, holes, slot, hybrid?

I thought about that also. Maybe the Bentley is leaving the bottom of the carpet wet and I never check that.

The Devastator uses a long-slotted glide. It really bites the carpet.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Different wands require different techniques.
You have to adjust to the new wands characteristics.

But for that kind of money there should be a trial period in case you don't like it. A restock fee but for $1800 it should be perfect.
I don't think there anything wrong with the wand... it's actually built really well and screams.

Hack Attack might onto something with his theory. I'm definitely keeping a Devastator, I'm only thinking maybe I need the 14" for better recovery with a smaller TM.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I can’t determine if your actually an idiot without being there, but I’m leaning that way.
You clearly don’t know the difference between “your” and “you’re”, so you may need to rethink your arbitrary definition of “idiot”.

“Your” is possessive. You meant to say to me “you are”, which would be “you’re”.

If I’m an idiot, then “you’re” ******* stupid.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If it's locking down too much, you're not moving as much air. Some carpets have a denser backing, requiring less suction and more airflow. Like pet proof carpets. My mach 12 has a good bite and I sometimes run into carpets that it is very difficult to move on so I bring out a glided aw29. Much easier as there is less suction.

Reactions: Meter Maid

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
And I’m enjoying the entertainment...Again

18319689-15B9-4BBD-8069-A10D336FB5CC.jpeg

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
If it's locking down too much, you're not moving as much air. Some carpets have a denser backing, requiring less suction and more airflow. Like pet proof carpets. My mach 12 has a good bite and I sometimes run into carpets that it is very difficult to move on so I bring out a glided aw29. Much easier as there is less suction.
That makes lots of sense, thanks. The wand is locking down on most cut-pile carpets. I am OK with that it it were pulling water at the same time, but it’s not.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
That makes lots of sense, thanks. The wand is locking down on most cut-pile carpets. I am OK with that it it were pulling water at the same time, but it’s not.
Shows that the wand is doing what it's supposed to do. I would check your vacuum relief setting at the truck and make sure it's not pulling more than 14 inches.

Reactions: Meter Maid

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Is the glide sealed with any silicone on the wand? I've heard positive and negative comments on doing that. If it has silicone around it...that might be causing the lockdown, because there's no vac relief at the most important area of suction

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Is the glide sealed with any silicone on the wand? I've heard positive and negative comments on doing that. If it has silicone around it...that might be causing the lockdown, because there's no vac relief at the most important area of suction
That's the difference between the mach 12 and the pmf. You hear the air whistling as it escapes from the pmf. The mach 12 is dead quiet on the carpet.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Nope, not sealed with anything.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
That's the difference between the mach 12 and the pmf. You hear the air whistling as it escapes from the pmf. The mach 12 is dead quiet on the carpet.

Should I lower the vacuum to 12”? I get mostly cut-pile around here, so I’m going to deal with this airflow thing lots.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Should I lower the vacuum to 12”? I get mostly cut-pile around here, so I’m going to deal with this airflow thing lots.
I think you should keep it at 14. The vacuum relief at the machine is pointless when the hose is full of water. Since you invested in that wand, you should probably see if you can get a different glide for it. Maybe the small slotted glide would do better, not the long slots

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Try it on different jobs first. It should be good on most cut pile over pad. That's the main reason I want one, as well as the swivel. Make sure you are lifting one end of the wand (burping) on the dry stroke. It moves the water through the hose faster than keeping it locked down on the carpet. Play with it for a while.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I think you should keep it at 14. The vacuum relief at the machine is pointless when the hose is full of water. Since you invested in that wand, you should probably see if you can get a different glide for it. Maybe the small slotted glide would do better, not the long slots
I noticed a difference in glides. My Bentley has a Green Glide that has slots that extend from the side of the glide to the first slot, if that makes sense. I’m sure that slot helps with airflow, specifically keeping the wand from locking down. It’s almost like a vent.

The Devastator doesn’t have that slot.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Try it on different jobs first. It should be good on most cut pile over pad. That's the main reason I want one, as well as the swivel. Make sure you are lifting one end of the wand (burping) on the dry stroke. It moves the water through the hose faster than keeping it locked down on the carpet. Play with it for a while.

I do that on every dry stroke. It still locks and all I see in the window is water bouncing around inside. Even right after I belch the thing.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Now that I think about it, it’s the only glide I’ve ever owned that didn’t have that channel from the end of the glide to the first slot.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Did you use the devastator second. Was “your” waste filling up. Waste tank filters clean. Did you kink “your”vacuum hose. Is the inline filter on the Bentley clogged being it is “your” older wand and you are not getting the flow you think.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I used each wand in different rooms (same carpet/soiling). Not sure on the tank. No kink in the hose. Clean filters.

This wasn’t the first time I noticed this, it’s just the first time I compared.

What do you think about the glide slots I mentioned above? It really seems like the wand locks so there is no airflow.

The rooms cleaned with the Devastator are still damp. Over 9 hours ago. The Bentley rooms have been dry, according to my buddy, for a few hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom