drying cinder block wall

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Calling @Desk Jockey (its nice to be needed.. I've heard lol)
Got a below ground bedroom with cinder block walls.
Had water toby above leak which took couples days before it started coming through one of the walls.

That wall was at 6% and rest of walls were 1.5-2% (tramex cmex meter) been drying few days and that wall is sitting at 3%

I know you can take wood to within 4% of dry standard and then let it find equilibrium

But I got no idea on concrete cinder blocks?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

cheers

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think each case will be different even in the same neighborhood. What I would do is look for a dry standard. Other unaffected areas of block in the same home.

If you still aren't dry, I suggest minimizing down your dry chamber. Don't dry that level or room but drop some sheeting and dry only the block.

Heat can really help in cases like that

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
It has been awhile since I have looked at block, but I believe that is classified as bound water and requires a desiccant dehumidifier, not lgr, to remove.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Energy (heat) will pull it out faster than a desiccant. Desiccants are slow at the size that we buy used for this size job. They use vapor pressure differential to draw the moisture out. It takes time to process the air space to get it super dry for the moisture to jump.

I prefer an LGR and heat to do it fast. We had 65 large Drieaz LGR's and 3 325 cfm desiccants. We only used them a couple of times a year. We would combine the heat from the Phoenix Firebirds and the LGR's to get faster results.

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
This job was part of reason of my other thread of LGR vs dessicants.
Without firsthand experience using the gear you're looking at a spec sheet and speculating.. might have to add a phnx compact to the mix

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
This has been ongoing, the loss adjuster told me to pull my gear out last week without looking at it because the home owner said it was dry...

met him onsite and showed him its still sitting at 4.8% along bottom half of that wall today vs 1.5% rest of the room :icon_rolleyes:
20190425_213825.jpg

and we're drying again..

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Just checked it, got the room at 89°F and 22% RH the wall is sitting at 112°

I was thinking of drilling as they are wanting to line it out at some stage, being a painted surface isn't doing any favours

Last edited:

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Still pulling water out, 15 liters so far... 💩

room is at 93°F and Rh 16% and moisture meter is sitting at 3% on that wall *(113°F surface temp)

spoke to a builder who reckons the bigger problem is the waterproofing has failed on that wall

cos Im a total noob using heat, do you try and balance the heat with the dehu or just crank the heat??

Im running 1 drieaz revolution and a phoenix r200 with the heat bypass removed which is recommended above 90°

Last edited:

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Still pulling water out, 15 liters so far... 💩

room is at 93°F and Rh 16% and moisture meter is sitting at 3% on that wall *(113°F surface temp)

spoke to a builder who reckons the bigger problem is the waterproofing has failed on that wall

cos Im a total noob using heat, do you try and balance the heat with the dehu or just crank the heat??

Im running 1 drieaz revolution and a phoenix r200 with the heat bypass removed which is recommended above 90°
Delhi???? You are just drawing moisture in from the ground.... 😂😂😂
Drill it, drain it, heat it...

Reactions: Hack Attack

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom