Duct cleaning training needed.

Hey guy's,

I was using the Ram Air for about a year and my local heating companies are willing to refer me work but they encouraged me to get a negative air unit so I did. I found a used trailer mounted unit that I think is 11,000 cfm. It came with 300' of suction hose and a electric hose reel. The only problem is that I know very little about using this system especially in a commercial environment. I am considering going to a NADCA training in September but that is a few months down the road. Is there any other hands on training available or does someone in Oregon have a crew that I could go out with for a day or two and I could donate my labor for what it's worth?

Thanks,

Kevin

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Sorry, but there is a world of difference between using a ram air system and a trailer mounted negative air machine for duct cleaning. The ram air uses the truck mount for vac and you should be using the vac at every vent. Pretty much anyone can vac out a vent. Poor way to clean ducts, along the line of a rotobrush.

A negative air machine would be connected at the unit and would put the entire duct system under negative pressure. You need to know where and how to make your tie-ins, how to block off the unit from the ducts, how to make your patches, and how to clean the air handler (coil and blower should be at least blown out)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yep, blower should be removed and cleaned to ensure fan blades are clean as per NADCA standards.

I wouldn't include Ram Air as following NADCA guidelines for "Source Removal".

Chris,

Thanks for the advice on Air care. I will check it out. It is a very different system than the Ram Air. I think in the long run I will be able to go after larger commercial jobs.

John Buxton

Keeping the system under negative pressure is very important. On large commercial units you just have to zone it off into smaller manageable areas. I used thick foam pieces that could be squeezed into the ductwork. On residential I had 3/4 plywood cut to the most popular filter sizes, just slide out the filter and slide in the plywood. Find a company that makes ductwork they can make patches for you.

I had both a rotojunk and a truckmount. I would have my helper use the rotovac to brush and vac the supply runs while I cleaned the return side with the negative air / compressed air system, then all I had to clean were the trunks on the supply side. It made quick work.

John Buxton

I never used the bags. The foam worked well in different sized ducts. Seems like the bags would get torn easily.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not too bad as long as you deflate them before you try to move them. I'll mention the foam to them, just as another option.

zone%20bags-B&W.jpg

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
We used bags for a while, changed to foam because they kept getting punctured by screws. Foam is easier to purchase, you can get it at most fabric stores and cut to different sizes. Why would you buy patches? They are simple and cheap to make.

You will definitely need to be careful, 13000 cfm could possibly collapse ductwork designed to run under 2000 cfm.

randy

Name
Randy
I went through Air Care's training, SAVE YOUR MONEY it's a joke. Find someone that cleans with negative air that is located 4-5 hours away and check them out (google reviews Yelp etc.) Pay them $200 to let you spend the day with them on a job or two.

That will be the quickest way to get up to speed. Also avoid AirCARE equipment like the plague, total complete crap designed for cheap manufacturing cost and high margins by selling to newbies that don't know any better. I started off with worthless aircare equipment. Literally gave it away for scrap metal. It had very low CFM and was worthless for cleaning. I strongly recommend Abatement, Nikro, Meyer, Safety King or www.Hypervacusa.com

Right now there is a ton of quality used airduct equipment available for pennies on the dollar so DON'T BUY NEW. I just picked up a $10,000 negative air unit with 54 hours on it for $690 at a bankruptcy auction. I was the only bidder and bid the minimum bid which they accepted.

I have been using a 4,000 CFM unit made my Atlantic Engineering, fantastic unit but they went under along with White Magic their parent company. Stick to the above listed and you will do fine. Anything involving a spinning brush that sucks out the vent, forget it. Anything used with your truck mount, forget it. RamAIR is a joke, no way can you clean the trunk lines with that Bullshit.

Reactions: A.J.

randy

Name
Randy
George Costanza said:
I bought a used Abatement Technologies 2500C unit for $2,900.00, it had 35-hours on it and looks like new. Package list was around $6,000.00

Randy I wish I had your Ultralite unit, Atlantic Engineering made great equipment.

Total lucky break, I was there to buy diamonds (was outbid within 10 minutes) and maybe a used Ford Ranger (outbid in 1/2 hour). Almost missed seeing the Ultralite it had a huge box of 4" hoses that didn't even fit the unit. I love the duel blower and the ability to only run one when you don't have enough available electrical power.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Total lucky break, I was there to buy diamonds (was outbid within 10 minutes) and maybe a used Ford Ranger (outbid in 1/2 hour). Almost missed seeing the Ultralite it had a huge box of 4" hoses that didn't even fit the unit. I love the duel blower and the ability to only run one when you don't have enough available electrical power.
Man that was luck! 8)

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I have a nikro and an aircare, nikro is second any day. The aircare looks better and is easier to maneuver in tight spots. Really can't speak about the usefulness of their training, just know that they have it every month. Luckily I had plenty of HVAC knowledge and haven't needed a class. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from aircare.

jwt1801

Name
Joseph Turnbull
Hey guys, I have an Atlantic Engineering: Ultralite I/II, do you have any info on this machine...manuels..specs..etc never used it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey guys, I have an Atlantic Engineering: Ultralite I/II, do you have any info on this machine...manuels..specs..etc never used it.
That's a nice machine. Always wanted one. Atlantic Engineering was the airduct cleaning side of White Magic. Very well designed and made machine.

Shouldn't be that much to it. HEPA and prefilter, collector bags, motor and hose. Attach to the plenum and the machine, flip it on and you have the HVAC under negative pressure. Clean each opening with cable brushes. Use air compressor skipper balls and viper whips on the return.

Reactions: Mikey P

jwt1801

Name
Joseph Turnbull
That's a nice machine. Always wanted one. Atlantic Engineering was the airduct cleaning side of White Magic. Very well designed and made machine.

Shouldn't be that much to it. HEPA and prefilter, collector bags, motor and hose. Attach to the plenum and the machine, flip it on and you have the HVAC under negative pressure. Clean each opening with cable brushes. Use air compressor skipper balls and viper whips on the return.

Thank you, I actually have a white magic truck mount as well. Any idea where Id be able to find more collector bags for it? Its only got 10 hours on it. its been sitting hidden away in the shop.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Lots of people use to sell it. I'd start with Abatement Technologies and see if they have them or can source it for you. If not them, Nikro is one that might be able to help also.

jwt1801

Name
Joseph Turnbull
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Just starting to get into duct cleaning more and more. Company I used to be with brought me up on the wrong info..only using rotobrush air..not even cleaning the full system. Any idea on who conducts hands on training? I know about NADCA but I wasnt aware if they actually provide hands on

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think most that offer hands on training is biased towards their equipment. Ask Abatement and Nikro if either offer Source Removal hands on training.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom