dust mites

Name
R.J. Povio
I did an estimate the other day....the lady said that she was wondering if after cleaning we could spray anything on the carpet to kill dust mites? I said I haven't heard of anything to spray for dust mites. I told her that with the normal cleaing (our method steam/hot water extraction) that any dust mites do not stand a chance of living after being hit with 200+ degree water. She was not even certain of having any dust mites (she said she was not getting bitten at all). She was just wondering.

My question.... is there a product to spray on a carpet either before and or after cleaning to "kill dust mites". If so what is the name of the product and who makes it. Thank you.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
As dustmites are nocturnal creatures, they go to the darkest areas and do not stay on the surface where there may be ample sunlight and UV rays.

They also feast on the skin that we shed each day & night.

They like warm, moist dark areas with a handy food source.

A mattress & pillows are an ideal place for them.

Do you think that carpet offers the same accommodation and meals that a mattress does :?:

If dustmites are in the carpet, they would favour the bottom section, away from the light.

How hot do you think your water would be when it gets to the carpet backing :?:

So many answers to so few questions, it'd Friday night and I'm off to a gay 'n hearty (party) to knock back afew Bundy's amongst others fine wines and ales & plenty of Asian tucker.

Ooroo,

:roll:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Contemporary Carpet Clean said:
My question.... is there a product to spray on a carpet either before and or after cleaning to "kill dust mites". If so what is the name of the product and who makes it. Thank you.

yes and no.
Any pesticide will kill them, but most states require a license to kill bugs.
So be careful about claims of "killing" bugs

If a person is allergic to dust mites, (actually, they're allergic to dust mite poop, not the mite it's self)
Masterblend makes a product that acts on the protein in DM poop that causes allergic reactions.

My guess is the lady was scared by HUGE blown up pics of DMs.
maybe another CCer's ad or a vac salesman's spiel.

at any rate, as Shorty eluded to, the mite population will be in bedding/mattresses and the uphl.
if that isn't addressed, there's little use in ridding the few in the carpets.
Maintaining humidity levels to 45rh and below will also help control DM populations

Masterblend has a host of specialty products for folks with allergies (including DM products)
Arron (the owner of Masterblend) is a good dude IMO.
His development of anti-allergen chems was born of necessity, as i believe it was/is his daughter that suffers from many allergies.

ask her if she has allergies to DMs or if some sleazy dirt bag FEAR tactic marketer scared her into thinking DMs are a big deal.
suggest she wash the bedding and buy new pillows too if she has genuine reasons to be concerned

..L.T.A.

lesterj2

i got a call yesterday about dust mites... the lady said that they actually bit her whole body up...
so i went and cleaned the matress for her... will call today and see if any returned..

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Exactly Tim.

These dustmites are microscopic critters.

Just how wide do you think they can open their mouths to inflict a bite upon someone :?:

Even a sea snake is only able to open its mouth so wide as to be able to bite you on the smallest part of your body, example, the end of your finger. (Or in the case of some here, some other appendage).

In simple words, a dustmite cannot bite you.

What happens is that if you are sensitive enough to the allergen that is produced from the household dustmite, in this case it happens to be a byproduct of their faeces called DP1, this can cause a rash on various parts of the body, as well as other symptoms to do with the nasal passages, eyes, etc;

Bites to the body are caused by bedbugs, resulting in welt like marks, red spots from mosquitoes and fleas, also from spiders, and bigger marks which turn blue from young lovers.

Other irritating marks from sandflies and mosquitoes can cause a person to scratch the irritating spot relentlessly which will cause a break in the skin that can become infected and produce more alarming bleeding to the skin which will probably need anti whatevers to cure.

A lot of crap is put out by Richard Craniums that do not know what they are talking about.

This includes M'wah.

Ooroo,

:roll:

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i guess that bed bugs can be killed if exposed to heat over 130 degrees, news had a article on it, local college has infestation i guess.

they are putting portable heaters in the rooms and heating them up to 130 degrees for 5 hrs. they have the carpet swept and its ready to go.

Rob Rocha

I bought a gallon of A.R.T from Masterblend , which is suppose to keep the Allergen levels in a home down for up to 6 months. It works on Dust mites feces and pet allergens, by making them unrecognizable to the body. It seems like most homes have at least one person with allergies. It can be sprayed on carpet or mattresses I believe.
Supposedly they have a test kit for dust mites so you can check the levels before and after use.
Just like protector all customer should have the option, and knowledge about the product. They have brochures on this product.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I did an estimate the other day....the lady said that she was wondering if after cleaning we could spray anything on the carpet to kill dust mites? I said I haven't heard of anything to spray for dust mites. I told her that with the normal cleaing (our method steam/hot water extraction) that any dust mites do not stand a chance of living after being hit with 200+ degree water. She was not even certain of having any dust mites (she said she was not getting bitten at all). She was just wondering.

The allergic reaction to dust mites is to their feces (yes Virginia, unfortunately they do shit in your carpet.) From what I know, they do not bite. Only the dust mites that work for Joe Polish do.

However, when you pre or post spray anything that kills, you might want to know how bad is it for the unfortunate occupants of the house (Virginia and or Fluffy.)

I think that most of these products present a solution that may be worse then the problem. Does adding another chemical (Master Blend) that changes the nature of the protein (feces) left in the carpet really a beneficial solution?

Most good alkaline rinses combined with high heat and good suction will kill most of the dust mites.
If you want to do even more, you can pre-spray with a sanitizer, let dwell for 15-30 minutes and rinse well.

Also Boron (A natural mineral) works. You can even find one that is water soluble. It leaves the carpet powdery white and stiff, though.

Best of luck
Ofer

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I found it!!!!

The definitive cure for dust mites in carpet;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPLhWHJbh68

Little over the top?

Gets funnier everytime you see it.

As a note:
I used the master blend product on several carpets this week. They want me to go back and do their mattresses.

Customers are happy I made money what else matters?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
She was not even certain of having any dust mites (she said she was not getting bitten at all). She was just wondering.

That has to be the funniest thing i've heard yet.... :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom