Dwyer flow meter is sucking air, what's the first thing to check?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yea, my chemical flow meter(Dwyer) is sucking air. Bubbles in the meter(not lots), but consistent, no matter how many times I turn it to prime.

No leaks(that I could see). Checked for lose fittings on back of meter and places they connect to. All seem fine.

I did have a small drip/leak from the back of the dwyer a few weeks ago. A fitting connected to a hose that wasn't tight That fitting is tight now! Should I just keep tightening it? It's brass.

Pump works fine, I can clean all day just no chems. Where do I start, assuming it's not the thing that leaked last time???

Figures, I just got a bunch of new rinses to try out and now it doesn't work. Uggggg!:icon_rolleyes:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The fittings that screw into the clear plastic housing are sealed with o-rings. That seal is prone to being a trouble-spot, as well as the o-ring on the adjustment knob or its seal to the clear plastic block. If the fittings are brass (usually if you bought the flowmeter 3rd party aftermarket), then the brass itself can be compromised by the chemical and be a source of air leakage. Always opt for the Stainless steel version of the flowmeters, as they will resist the chemical attack.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
when tightening the brass fittings.....
the glass is prone to cracking
if not tightened with a thinwall socket

and you will not see the crack...but it WILL suck air!

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
New flow meter in and still pulling air... I turn it(valve) to prime and can see the jug(headpack) get lower. However, the bubbles don't stop .:hopeless:

Any ideas?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yep..replace the (cheap) tubing as well

You have a specific type of tubing you recommend? Something I can get at HD or Ace, someplace local?

Thanks again, fellas.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
The heat and chemicals dry out the hose. You should make it a habit to always replace it when ever you have to change a fitting. Be careful not to over tighten the hose clamps or you'll cut the hose. Swagelok sales stainless fitting that fit with the Dwyer meter and chemical flow meter plus a plastic Line that is made for industrial machines which is more than I can say for the air line hose.

Gene

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Yea, my chemical flow meter(Dwyer) is sucking air. Bubbles in the meter(not lots), but consistent, no matter how many times I turn it to prime.

No leaks(that I could see). Checked for lose fittings on back of meter and places they connect to. All seem fine.

I did have a small drip/leak from the back of the dwyer a few weeks ago. A fitting connected to a hose that wasn't tight That fitting is tight now! Should I just keep tightening it? It's brass.

Pump works fine, I can clean all day just no chems. Where do I start, assuming it's not the thing that leaked last time???

Figures, I just got a bunch of new rinses to try out and now it doesn't work. Uggggg!:icon_rolleyes:

Look what you started mine started leaking from everywhere. Things been trouble free now it's flowing.

Gene

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Things been trouble free now it's flowing. Gene

Lucky you, Gene!

Mine's still jacked up....:hopeless:

Replaced the dwyers meter few days ago, no help. Replaced ALL the plastic/low pressure hoses yesterday, STILL no good. Bubbles, bubbles and bubbles... It's sucking sol. when turned to prime. I can see the jug go down, the bubbles just don't stop.

One thing left is the prime/on/off valve, right? wtf??? Very frustrating for a machine w/1k hours.

Anything else I can check/recheck?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Lucky you, Gene!

Mine's still jacked up....:hopeless:

Replaced the dwyers meter few days ago, no help. Replaced ALL the plastic/low pressure hoses yesterday, STILL no good. Bubbles, bubbles and bubbles... It's sucking sol. when turned to prime. I can see the jug go down, the bubbles just don't stop.

One thing left is the prime/on/off valve, right? wtf??? Very frustrating for a machine w/1k hours.

Anything else I can check/recheck?

two nuts were a little lose and I tightened them. Seems to have done the trick. I moved them a will back to a bracket on the side of the machine and the access is super easy. Also they won't leak on to wires. I never understood the location before above wires, please. I hope the new line of machines doesn't do that.

Gene

J

JS41035

You've rebuilt the chem pump already? Sounds like a rubber diaphragm to me.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
You've rebuilt the chem pump already? Sounds like a rubber diaphragm to me.

I haven't yet, but that seems like the next thing to check. It draws from head pack with no bubbles, after the dwyer I THINK I see bubbles.:hopeless:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If the rubber diaphragm gets a hole it will flow backwards not add air. At least that been my experience.

Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom