dye transfer

Fred H

did a move out today . In the master bedroom there was a pink tinge on the carpet around where the bed was located.The carpet is at least 15 years old and an off white wool berber. I asked the vacating tenant if the discoloration was present when they moved in, negative was the reply, it is from our bedding, must have been a dust ruffle in contact with the floor I think. I told her that it would not come out and it did not. although it improved a bit. Anyone successfully remove something like this?

S

sam miller

what type of fiber? what color was the carpet?

What did You use to try and get it out?

Fred H

sam miller said:
what type of fiber? what color was the carpet?

What did You use to try and get it out?
The carpet is an off white wool berber at least 15 years old, I remember when these condos were built. I pre-sprayed with Bridgepoints Clean Free, let dwell 15 minutes and rinsed very well.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I bet it's from benzoyl peroxide in foot cream. (It is also in acne med)

It becomes pink/purple when it comes in contact with water (your cleaning)

I see this situation at retirement/nursing homes quite often around beds.

It can be very difficult to remove.

Stain Magic can help sometimes.

Beware that Benzoyl Peroxide can cause color change and bleaching that will not be cured by cleaning.

The scary thing is that often the cleaning will activate the bleach and the client will blame the cleaner.

Knowing about this and explaining it (Ask if they have ever used foot cream) can save your ass.

Reactions: Shorty

Fred H

Royal Man said:
I bet it's from benzoyl peroxide in foot cream. (It is also in acne med)

It becomes pink/purple when it comes in contact with water (your cleaning)

I see this situation at retirement/nursing homes quite often around beds.

It can be very difficult to remove.

Stain Magic can help sometimes.

Beware that Benzoyl Peroxide can cause color change and bleaching that will not be cured by cleaning.

The scary thing is that often the cleaning will activate the bleach and the client will blame the cleaner.

Knowing about this and explaining it (Ask if they have ever used foot cream) can save your ass.

I noticed the pink tinge and talked to the tenant before I cleaned anything. Also documented that on the receipt for the property mgmt.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
This is a result of off-gassing which many thought was dye transfer, or color migration.

But first, a word from a grateful customer.............. shiteatinggrin

Hi Shorty,

I have attached the before & after pictures, hopefully you can use these on your website.

I have written a paragraph below recommending your services, please free to use this too....

Our new wool carpet was left with a large orange stain from a rug that had been left down for just a few months. We contacted several local carpet cleaners and they either came over to assess the carpet or looked at photos I sent them, every one of them told us the staining had been caused by a dye transfer from rug to carpet due to the rug or carpet becoming wet, I indicated that neither had ever been wet, they all insisted it had been wet or moist due to our tropical climate and said there was nothing that could be done.

We were recommended to contact Shorty. He came out, had a very good look at both rug & carpet and told us it was due to 'off gassing' from the latex rubber used on the backing of the rug and agreed & accepted that the rug or carpet had never been wet, he treated the rug and made several return visits to re-treat and ensure the carpet looked as good as new - which it now does !

Thanks Shorty, you have saved us thousands on a new carpet and when everyone else said it couldn't be done you proved them all wrong !! Well done & thank you !

Hope this is OK, feel free to modify as necessary and use on your web site !

Thanks again !

Martin & Alison.

Before treatment:

carpet_before002.jpg

And after treatment:

carpet_after002.jpg

This was back in August.

'nuff; said, that'll do.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
H2O2 x 4 visits.

Spray and leave.

Last visit, extract residue.

Even though H2O2 reverts back to water, on a wool carpet it is always advisable to do a final rinse.

One must also be aware of the % of the product and realise that it can build up in the fibre when applied several times.

I limited this application to 3% each time.

Hope this helps.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Off gassing, color transfer or even yellowing from a latex rug backing is totally different than a pink stain (that to me sounds) like benzoyl peroxide staining.

Cashy

Name
Darren
I apologise for raising an old thread, but I have just experienced an identical problem to that shown in the photo in Shorty's post above. I hope that you guys can provide some advice to prevent it from happening again. Here's the story:

2 months ago we had a new wool carpet installed in a renovated room (existing concrete slab with Ardit laid over the top then with foam underlay under the carpet). Not cheap at about $60/sq m

After the carpet was laid, the carpet layer noticed a defect in the carpet (stop marks at various points across the weave). The supplier then inspected and agreed to replace the carpet, but it has taken 2 months for this to actually happen.

For 2 months the room has been left empty, except for a red shag pile rug (acrylic I think) that was placed on the carpet. We removed the rug in preparation for the carpet to be replaced and found a discoloration on the carpet identical to that shown in Shorty's photo. I didn't take a photo because fortunately the carpet was being replaced anyway.

The carpet has now been replaced (the new carpet is also defective but that's another story!) and we really want to use the shag pile rug. What can we do to ensure the same problem doesn't re-occur? Plastic backing on the rug? Waiting several days/weeks before placing the rug on the carpet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Darren, rugs are meant to go on hard floors, not on carpet.

I believe that originally they were put down on dirt floors.

Now they go on tiles as well as timber and other hard flooring.

To prevent that from happening again is easy.

When I'm asked how to stop the cat or dog peeing on the carpet, I tell them to keep the animal out of any carpeted rooms.

Same with the rug, to prevent the same from happening, don't put it on the carpet.

Plastic under the rug could sweat, producing moisture which may form mould (mold for the Yanks ;-) ), then you will have a health issue as well.

It may also cause either or both, the carpet or rug to rot.

Waiting several days/weeks before placing the rug on the carpet?

Refer to line six.

If anyone wants to put a rug onto carpet, they do so at their own risk.

Some others here may have a better suggestion for you.

Apologies to Dave, I never read that post of yours before, :icon_redface:

& yes, it does sound like what he has described, being the pink tinge and all.

Wish we could see pics of all these different problems so we may better relate to the problem.

:yoda:

Reactions: SamIam

Cashy

Name
Darren
Thanks for the quick reply Shorty. I suppose I was thinking that the discoloration might be due to off gassing of the new carpet underlay rather than from the rug. The rug is 2 years old and doesn't appear to have any latex backing. The carpet underlay is the multicoloured foam type, which is supposedly the top of the Dunlop range, but I notice that Dunlop does not claim any of its underlay to be BHT free.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Darren, please take some photo's of the carpet, the rug face and back and also if possible, the label, (construction/fibre).

This will help the guys better identify the problem for you and a possible cause/cure, apart from what I've said.

I don't know if you can post pics here, if not, email them to me & I will post them.

getshortycairns@iig.com.au

Hopefully, I'll be down your neck of the woods next month (May), possibly over Cronulla way & also Manly, northern beaches.

Take care,

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Id say shorty is right. Off gassing. I would use a mixture of fab set and citric acid and bonnet clean it. I'm not At my desk. I'm sure Scott Warrington can provide the ratio. This happens alot on Kara-loks and velvet meaning construction. The adhesive is the cause for low ozonation and something low covering it. From the picture on my phone it appears to mea velvet construction.

Last edited:

Cashy

Name
Darren
Thanks Shorty, I'll try and post some photos tomorrow. There's no label on the rug unfortunately. The carpet is a Victoria Carpets Bay of Islands - colour Rainbow Falls. It's a wool carpet.

I'm only 10 minutes from Cronulla by the way :-)

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks Shorty, I'll try and post some photos tomorrow. There's no label on the rug unfortunately. The carpet is a Victoria Carpets Bay of Islands - colour Rainbow Falls. It's a wool carpet.

I'm only 10 minutes from Cronulla by the way :-)

Actually, I'll be staying at Cronulla. :winky:

Probably be up in Kirrawee for a course, also got a mate to look up in Bonnet Bay whilst I'm there as well.

Last couple of days over on the north shore sampling a few brews.

PS::::: Is it something like this ------------ 2536_33_zpsdf0d94de.jpg

Cashy

Name
Darren
Here are some photos as requested Shorty - photos of the room (lots of natural light), the carpet, and the offending rug. I don't have a photo of the stain as that carpet has since been replaced by the supplier due to a manufacturing defect. As it turns out the new carpet has more defects than the one they replaced, but you can't really see them in the photo. Any thoughts on how we could use this type of rug on this type of carpet would be appreciated.

2mv0l.jpg

2exoks1.jpg

2rc3h4p.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P
mould (mold for the Yanks ;-) ),

Thank you Sir. Mikey gave me shite once for mentionimng cheques, as spelled in the Queen's English, the original version.

I've had good luck with an acid side on some forms of off gassing, spray ,dwell, extract. I've used household vinegar to great success on yellow off gassing. Smells like a pickle for a bit though.I could see the h2o2 as a good idea as well.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Here are some photos as requested Shorty - photos of the room (lots of natural light), the carpet, and the offending rug. I don't have a photo of the stain as that carpet has since been replaced by the supplier due to a manufacturing defect. As it turns out the new carpet has more defects than the one they replaced, but you can't really see them in the photo. Any thoughts on how we could use this type of rug on this type of carpet would be appreciated.

2mv0l.jpg

2exoks1.jpg

2rc3h4p.jpg

Hi Darren,
first up, let me say that I am in no way an expert on carpet or rug fibres and I welcome the opportunity to hear from those much more experienced than I, as I also like to learn more.

I believe that the problem is not with the carpet, it is with the construction of the rug.

To me, this appears to be a Chinese Polyester with a LATEX backing, & I believe, herein lies the problem.

The Latex off-gassing from the rug, causes a chemical re-action with the carpet fibre, whatever that may be.

In short, I do not believe than this rug can safely be left on any carpet without there being an adverse re-action between the rug and the carpet.

Again, I reiterate that I am not so knowledgeable in this department, and would ask others to please help with this problem so that we may all benefit a bit more.

Thank you.

PS::: When you next visit this property, get down on your hands and knees, breathe out, lift the rug and get a real good lungfull of the back of the rug through your nose.

If you smell rubber, it most likely has latex holding all the crap together, until it starts to break down and little wisps float across the carpet.

On a hot day, with all the windows closed you, will smell the rubber/latex, as soon as you walk into the room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thank you Sir. Mikey gave me shite once for mentionimng cheques, as spelled in the Queen's English, the original version.

I've had good luck with an acid side on some forms of off gassing, spray ,dwell, extract. I've used household vinegar to great success on yellow off gassing. Smells like a pickle for a bit though.I could see the h2o2 as a good idea as well.

Ta Willy, I always try ( if I remember ), to try and put U.S. spelling in place when on the U.S. 4 rums.

I would check on any check that Mikey may send you, especially if it came from the Chech; Republic, personal cheques from Oz would not be honored in the U.S. either, whereas they would be honoured down under. :icon_rolleyes: :confused:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Id say shorty is right. Off gassing. I would use a mixture of fab set and citric acid and bonnet clean it. I'm not At my desk. I'm sure Scott Warrington can provide the ratio. This happens alot on Kara-loks and velvet meaning construction. The adhesive is the cause for low ozonation and something low covering it. From the picture on my phone it appears to mea velvet construction.

The ratio depends on how severe the discoloration is. Use between 4 and 12 ounces of Fab-Set plus 4 ounces of Citric Acid powder to a gallon of warm / hot water.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Seeing the photo of the rug, another possible cause could be transfer of excess dyes crocking from the rug. I would wash to rug once or twice to remove excess dye. Then treat with Dye-Loc or similar to assist in stabilizing dyes.

Cashy

Name
Darren
Seeing the photo of the rug, another possible cause could be transfer of excess dyes crocking from the rug. I would wash to rug once or twice to remove excess dye. Then treat with Dye-Loc or similar to assist in stabilizing dyes.

Thanks Scott. What doesn't make sense to me though is the rug is red, the base of the rug is blue, but the discoloration was yellow (almost identical to the photo posted above by Shorty) In my unqualified opinion it seems to support the off-gassing theory rather than dye transfer.

I doubt that I will use the rug again on carpet, but now I am very dubious about using any rug on a carpet. Is there any sort of inert material that can be used to provide an effective barrier between rug and carpet?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom