Dye Transfer

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Quick question about area rugs.

Had a customer call saying that an area rug that had been in place over a year discolored the carpet beneath, Nylon I believe, They said they bought the area rug overseas, not sure what type of material, my guess would be wool. But anyone have any experience with these rugs transferring the dye. My guess is its permanent.

Ron K

Tony hard to give a quick answer. They can transfer dye, hard to tell without picture of rug and carpet. Is the transfer all over or just localized. What does the back of the area rug look like? Was the carpet ever cleaned rug put back before totally dry? Is it wool? Was the rug cleaned and put down wet or was it steam cleaned in place??? No Pad? To many variables. I'm not that far away if you really need help but submit pictures here first.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
What color is the rug??

What color is the carpet?

What color is the stain?

Don't jump to the conclusion that it is dye transfer/migration.

It MAY be due to "off-gassing" from the rugs backing.

Only an inspection will allow you to make the decision.

Check out my residential web site for more information on this.

http://www.get.shorty.com.au/

:yoda:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Dye transfer often happens around the perimeter of the rug as dye is tracked off on people's shoes and transferred to the carpet. A color change under the rug may be different reason as Shorty discusses above.

Actually dye transfer may be more difficult to remove than it is worth but can sometimes be correct in a cost effective manner. Depends upon the type of dye and the fiber of the carpet under the rug.

Reactions: Shorty

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Dry crocking of carpet color (by friction) is usually pretty easy to remove. Start with a prespray of household ammonia followed by HWE using a hand tool. Hotter is better. Go back to the ammonia a couple of times if needed.

If this doesn't remove the color, or if it was caused by a wet spill and is actually color bleeding, you may have to use a color remover.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom