EaCo One Restore wreaks havock on this porcelain floor.

Mikey P

Administrator
He says he usually uses toilet bowl cleaner on tile floors but this one needed something stronger...

Ph of 1 looks like it ate the glaze clean off... :eekk:

IMG_5014.jpg.jpegIMG_5013.jpg.jpeg

IMG_5011.jpg (1).jpegIMG_5010.jpg.jpegIMG_5009.jpg.jpeg

So strange, some pics looks like he stripped a Mop N Glow mess off and others look like how a marble would react.....?

https://windowcleaner.com/products/...m=Paid-Search&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign={campaign_name}&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiAs6-sBhBmEiwA1Nl8s1gLItjkZYuxmBDk0J3xAwWnSXxtRMDMDLiq5jZ1DfAJoSKiCASMWxoCWNAQAvD_BwE

Mikey P

Administrator
Bryan and I have been on the phone with him trying to figure this out

Change of story agian, it's a "Through Body Porcelain"

1703703492443.png

Mikey P

Administrator
boy howdy, this was a wild ride

I suggested he do a demo of what the floor would look like with a VCT wax applied.

Which would hide (most of) the etching and help hold down whats left of the grout, that he's been dmagaming for seven years by using phosphoric acid on....

• Wow
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
For the most part, with notable exceptions, hard surface cleaning has been taught in an oversimplified, and somewhat out of date fashion.

It often still goes something like this:

"Use anything you want on ceramic and porcelain, and just watch using acids on natural, calcium based stone. Inspect for damaged grout, because your 1500 psi spinner will knock out bad grout jobs, then just fix the spots you blow out"

Prior to having Bryan Thompson come to our place to present his hard surface cleaning class (before his partnership with Mike), I admit that my hard surface class sounded a bit like the above sentences. When I attended Bryan's class, I filled up a legal pad of notes, written on both sides, with what I learned from him, and it changed how I trained after that.

Since then, I've learned from Mikey as well, and the two of them have put together a program that doesn't have a close second when it comes to hard surface care.

Mikey P

Administrator
For the most part, with notable exceptions, hard surface cleaning has been taught in an oversimplified, and somewhat out of date fashion.

"Use anything you want on ceramic and porcelain, and just watch using acids on natural, calcium based stone. Inspect for damaged grout, because your 1500 psi spinner will knock out bad grout jobs, then just fix the spots you blow out"

Prior to having Bryan Thompson come to our place to present his hard surface cleaning class (before his partnership with Mike), I admit that my hard surface class sounded a bit like the above sentences. When I attended Bryan's class, I filled up a legal pad of notes, written on both sides, with what I learned from him, and it changed how I trained after that.

Since then, I've learned from Mikey as well, and the two of them have put together a program that doesn't have a close second when it comes to hard surface care.

and we're just getting started!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Why are people so intent on using acid on these tile floors? The only time I break out the acid nowadays is if it's a trashed commercial bathroom or trashed ceramic floor. As for this new tile, it's ridiculous to assume it is what it seems to be

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Why are people so intent on using acid on these tile floors? The only time I break out the acid nowadays is if it's a trashed commercial bathroom or trashed ceramic floor. As for this new tile, it's ridiculous to assume it is what it seems to be

I ask this question of cleaners who buy "grout acids" by the case here, and alkaline cleaners by the gallon.

They see it as a quick way to make the grout look good, and don't care about the consequences. They neither test, nor neutralize afterward.

Mikey P

Administrator
I ask this question of cleaners who buy "grout acids" by the case here, and alkaline cleaners by the gallon.

They see it as a quick way to make the grout look good, and don't care about the consequences. They neither test, nor neutralize afterward.
Show them the photos of that grout..

Looks like beach sand, sand crab tunnels and all....

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I keep Prochem's grout acid on board for those occasional times, usually in showers, and usually on natural stone. .
There must be twice as much tile compared to carpet in Nevada compared to our area over here in the southeast. Because I rarely need to use acid.

Mikey P

Administrator
There must be twice as much tile compared to carpet in Nevada compared to our area over here in the southeast. Because I rarely need to use acid.

Do you clean showers?

I find that a lot of "us" resort to acids to remove soap scum and mold, when heavy hitter products like Tsunami work as well, and are usually, safer...

High Functioning Stoner

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson

Jim,
Thank you very much for your vote of confidence about my training, I really appreciate that.
Coming from a teacher of your stature means a lot to me.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Mikey P

Administrator
How do you keep them on vertical surfaces long enough to work?

Think of it as the civil war front lines Marty..

When an acidid army (cleaning agent) goes to war with an alkaline army (soap scum or mineral deposits) the battle to eradicate begins on contact, hense the fizzing/fighting action action..

The Alkaline troops usually wins so the battle due to their (fizz stops) greater volume and financial backing to hold thier ground, so you need to send in another or many round of acidic troops.
The Acids will eventually win the war due to their stubbornness and desire to see naked northerners in a clean shower...

High Functioning Stoner

Supportive Member
Name
Bryan Thomson
Unfortunately this situation can and will happen when the technician isn’t properly trained on the pH scale, and the effects that pH and chemical properties have on specific materials.

Acids are a “specialty cleaner” that are very effective when used in a “controlled application “ and only after fully understanding the type of acid and the exact ID of the material it will be used on.

In this unfortunate situation the acid used was hydrochloric (HCI) and not phosphoric.
Hydrochloric acid is extremely aggressive and will attack / dissolve silica.
Phosphoric acids don’t dissolve silica but are very effective when used on lime / calcium based materials.
Prochem “Tile & Grout Restoration Cleaner” is a phosphoric acid and is designed to chemically dissolve calcium deposits and chemically react to lime based material like grout.
It can also be very effective on rust removal.

The phosphoric based grout cleaner / brighteners work through a chemical reaction with the lime in the grout which microscopically etches the grout exposing new grout and thus making it look cleaner and brighter.
If a phosphoric acid was used in this situation, the damage to the glaze (etching) wouldn’t have occurred.
In this situation a cheap toilet bowl cleaner was used, which almost all toilet bowl cleaners are hydrochloric based .
Using Hydrochloric acid in this case attacked / dissolved the glaze (silica) on the “through body porcelain” tiles around the edges .
It will also degrade / attack the grout in a much more aggressive manner than phosphoric acid cleanser, and can turn the grout into powder.

Unfortunately, this damage can’t be fixed in this case and the tiles should be replaced.

Lesson learned …..NEVER use a cleaning product without knowing the chemical properties (MSDS) and how it will affect the material it’s to be used on.

My rule of thumb is this……”start conservative” and move more aggressive in your approach, whether in pH ( acids vs alkaline) , dilution and or physical agitation / abrasiveness.
Also remember when using acids it is always best practice to “neutralize “ the area after using acids with an alkaline solution.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Do you clean showers?

I find that a lot of "us" resort to acids to remove soap scum and mold, when heavy hitter products like Tsunami work as well, and are usually, safer...
Showers are a different challenge compared to floors.

I like to hit showers first with an alkaline to dissolve any body oils. Then treat with acid if it still looks bad, then do a third treatment with alkaline to finish it up.

But if the grout lines are black stained, I don't waste any time on the shower. I just treat with alkaline, rinse, and collect.

Reactions: Mikey P

hogjowl

Idiot™
Think of it as the civil war front lines Marty..

When an acidid army (cleaning agent) goes to war with an alkaline army (soap scum or mineral deposits) the battle to eradicate begins on contact, hense the fizzing/fighting action action..

The Alkaline troops usually wins so the battle due to their (fizz stops) greater volume and financial backing to hold thier ground, so you need to send in another or many round of acidic troops.
The Acids will eventually win the war due to their stubbornness and desire to see naked northerners in a clean shower...
How do you keep the acidic army high long enough to win?

Mikey P

Administrator
How do you keep the acidic army high long enough to win?
As soon as the fizzing is done the battle is over ,and it's time to fight again, it's not like carpet pre spray that needs 5 10 20 minutes of dwell time, it's a near instantaneous action.

Fill a bucket with acid put on a vet rectal exam glove that goes up to your elbow and sponge or upholstery mitt the juice onto the wall and as soon as you see the fizz done, hit it again

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom