Effervescence??? (Efflorescence)

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Re: Effervescence???

are you sure that is what it is. i thought it was caused by a salt wicking up from the cement or morter mix. i've never had it happen to me.

gene

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

Ben;

I assume you are talking about Efflorescence.

"Efflorescence" is a white deposit from minerals left on the surface of a porous material after the water evaporates.

It is removed with a specific acid which is able to dissolve the mineral compound.

We have acidic cleaners which are effective.

Larry

Gary T

Efflorescence is the result of salts and minerals wicking to the surface of a porous material, usually grout. This usually occurs for a couple of reasons. Improper mixing of the grout usually too wet and not controlling the curing process. Most Efflorescence occurs in on, or below grade slab installations where no vapor transmission control was used. Acid cleaners will work, and dry it quickly. Sealing or color sealing can inhibit Efflorescence depending......

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy

Plop. Plop. Fizz! Fizz!

Or white-ish haze on grout/stone tiles?

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian

Sounds like the cleaning caused the Efflorescence, it can happen on a porous surface or if the floor was left too wet after the cleaning, if the surface is porous then its best not to seal it the same day...wait 48 hours.

You didn't provide a lot of details so its hard to recommend a fix, but I use Aqua Mix Eff-Ex

Aqua Mix Eff-Ex is a non-acidic, heavy-duty cleaner that removes and prevents the formation of efflorescence. Eff-Ex utilizes Aqua Mix EX-2 technology to create a powerful product that cleans and prevents efflorescence without harsh acids.

* Removes efflorescence build-up
* Prevents efflorescence from forming
* Safe, non-acidic, neutral pH solution

Aqua Mix Eff-Ex can is recommended for all natural stone, such as marble, granite, slate, travertine, and limestone; porcelain; quarry; saltillo; terra cotta; cement pavers; masonry surfaces; and other porous tile and grout where a natural look is desired.

Aqua Mix Eff-Ex can be used for interior and exterior applications. It will lightly dull the surface of polished marble, limestone, and travertine, and re-polishing may be needed.

Hey, guys....thanks. I appreciate all of the replys. I apologize for not giving more info on my particular situation. One of my techs cleaned direct glue down carpet (using bio-break and rinsing with fresh water) using HWE over a concrete subfloor for an apartment complex. The next day I recieved a callback from the manager saying that there was a white powder like substance on the carpet. So the next day I went over and took a look. My first instinct was that my tech didn't pre-vacuum. That was not the case. So then I thought that it was some kind of residue from one of the over the counter carpet deodorizers. So I had it re-cleaned and used an airpath to dry. Low and behold, the re-clean helped quite a bit, but some of it still wicked backed. After doing some research I figured it was effervescence (salt from the subfloor) that wicked back up. Not 100% percent sure on that, but that is what I came up with. Anyway...it sounds like some kind of acid rinse may help. Thanks for the replies...any other thoughts????

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney

I'd say that is probably not the case at all.. If it was glued correctly with enough adhesive.. the adhesive is going to form a barrior between the concrete and carpet. More than likely you are seeing either tracked in icemelt or a product like Capture. You need to find out the history of the carpet and how it was maintained in previous years.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller

i would say an ordinary vacuum will remove it. sounds like the cleaner used left the white residue when it dried.

gene

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

bennyandthejets said:
Hey, guys....thanks. I appreciate all of the replys. I apologize for not giving more info on my particular situation. One of my techs cleaned direct glue down carpet (using bio-break and rinsing with fresh water) using HWE over a concrete subfloor for an apartment complex. ... After doing some research I figured it was effervescence (salt from the subfloor) that wicked back up. Not 100% percent sure on that, but that is what I came up with. Anyway...it sounds like some kind of acid rinse may help. Thanks for the replies...any other thoughts????

It will generally require a stronger acid than those used in "All Fiber Rinses".

Try a small area with a concentrated rinse to check.

Larry

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
You were likely on the right track with the powder carpet deodorizer theory.

Stiff brush and vacuum should help. If it needs more than that, go over it quickly with a bonnet and some Encapuclean Green to get what remains off the surface.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom