Effloresence on brick

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I started today cleaning some slate and brick.

On the entrance there is one potted plant on either side that has a build up of effloresence. I used an acid twice and still it's not all comming out. We're going back tomorrow to do more stuff and wonder if there's anything else I should try.

I got this acid from HD for $1 a gallon some months ago but I assure you it's as good as other types for tile cleaning. Should I go full strenght?. I can also pick up some muratic acid and see if that works. There are just 2 small areas probably 15 sft combined so I can be careful if someone can give me some tips on using the muratic. This is for brick.

thanks,
Albert

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
make sure its not an ahesive or latex migration first. Secondly. Keep with the acid product and go full strength... try stonetech's restore.. or I belive MB has a product that is said to work dynamite on effloresence and even prevent etching.

RickL

If in fact it is efflorescence on the brick. I used Muratic Acid on the outdoor steps to a house I owned 10 years ago and it worked great simply sprayed on waited a while brushed a little and rinsed off. Gone for good (or at least as long as I owned the house). However it's nasty stuff and I wouldn't try it inside or close to other materials and I personally would only use it one the brick definitely not on the slate! Glove up and stay away from the fumes if you got a respirator ,wear it.

tim

Sweeney, as usual, is right on. Restore is the best acid cleaner I have ever used, by far! I had a quarry tile with a terrible efflourence problem. I used everything but the kitchen sink, finally used Restore. Took care of it, sealed it with a special sealer to prevent future problems, cant remember that products name

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom