Egyptian cotton question, anyone know anything about this?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Apparently "egyptian" just means it's VERY good cotton, not from Egypt.

Soooo, if it's just "fancy" cotton wouldn't I just use a haitian cotton shampoo? Looking at a Egyptian cotton sectional tomorrow.

In general, as long as you have a browning treatment, what else could happen?

haitian cotton shampoo okay for Egyptian cotton?

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Uh Yeah, I guess it would be fine. For everything but maybe silk or rayon. I've never come across furniture with egyptian cotton. A lot of people have no clue what they actually have.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If it is a refined cotton (no remnants of the cotton seeds) you do not need a Haitian cotton cleaner, just as you don't need one when doing your tee shirt in the washer.

Being a reducer, it will brighten it though and will work fine. Make sure no one is asthmatic!

You can test in a zippered area to see if it browns. And Doug is right, many people have no idea what they actually have.

Haitian cotton shampoo is fine for Egyptian cotton. Though Egyptian cotton cleaner may be even better :winky:

Reactions: J Scott W

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You'll need to see it for yourself and do a careful inspection. People often don't know or understand what they own.

"Haitian" cotton shampoo or detergent products usually are safe, but as Ofer wisely stated, you should be aware that their residue can be a respiratory irritant.

Some people use oxidizing boosters with acid additives in a three part potion (Bridgepoint and Prochem have such products, and Bridgepoint now has an "all in one product" called OxyBuff Cotton Shampoo I like). Just know that either the multi
product mixes or the formulated single product can overwhiten off white cotton.

If you're careful not to overwet it, use detergents that are mildly acidic, and dry it quickly, you should be ok.

Sapphire Scientific's Natural Fiber Cleaner is an effective acidic detergent that doesnt use oxidizing or reducing agents.

If its heavily soiled, don't promise great results.

Last edited:
Reactions: J Scott W
Name
Steve Lawrence
I'd avoid using Haitian cotton cleaner on it because of the possible bleaching factor on off whites as Jim P. stated above.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom