Electric Ford Transit coming to the US

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
nothing about range
the Achilles heel of lectro rides
always be a niche market until battery tech advances substantially

having thousands of hours on industrial lectro jitneys, (forklifts and train mules mostly) there's no doubt in my mind they can blow internal combustion engines (ICE)away in power and torque.
BUTT...we had hundreds of battery packs (the size of a TM) on charge at changing station.
we pull in, and the battery dude hook'd it out and dropped in a fresh ...in and out less than five minutes

if infrastructure was in place for quick change battery stops, and the cargo vehicle engineered for quick change access, something big would happen
.. IF the cargo wagon is "fully" competitive cost wise compared ICE wagons, that is

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A company called plug power is using drop in hydrogen fuel cells to replace forklift battery packs. They set up a hydrogen fueling station somewhere outside the warehouse. A forklift runs out of fuel, it gets refueled and back to work. Eliminates the multiple battery chargers.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
hydrogen eh?

1583362156581.png

1583362192321.png

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I've seen worse diesel fires. That's just fear mongering at its worst.

donno about fear mongering .
what I do know, when alternative fuels become competitive with gasoline and diesel, we'll see lots more .
and if they become MORE cost effective over their service life compared to gasoline and diesel, there will be a transformation of epic proportion

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
PEEE-AZZZZ

I can't help but think there must be some kind of big stumbling blocks to hydrogen fuel vehicles
Or we'd see some of them in production next to the lectro vehicles on the road

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
PEEE-AZZZZ

I can't help but think there must be some kind of big stumbling blocks to hydrogen fuel vehicles
Or we'd see some of them in production next to the lectro vehicles on the road

..L.T.A.
They have many hydrogen vehicles in Asia and Europe. The infrastructure is what's expensive. Prices are coming down as they grow in popularity.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
They have many hydrogen vehicles in Asia and Europe

As of 2019, there are three models of hydrogen cars publicly available in select markets: the Toyota Mirai, the Hyundai Nexo, and the Honda Clarity.

As of 2019, 98% of hydrogen is produced by steam methane reforming, which emits carbon dioxide.[3] It can be produced by thermochemical or pyrolytic means using renewable feedstocks, but that is an expensive process.[4] Various technologies are being developed that aim to deliver costs low enough, and quantities great enough, to compete with hydrogen production using natural gas.[5] The drawbacks of hydrogen use are high carbon emissions intensity when produced from natural gas, capital cost burden, low energy content per unit volume at ambient conditions, production and compression of hydrogen, the investment required in filling stations to dispense hydrogen, transportation of hydrogen to filling stations and lack of ability to produce or dispense hydrogen at home

Plenty more to read.
appears to be a LONG way from being competitive

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Papa John

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
As of 2019, there are three models of hydrogen cars publicly available in select markets: the Toyota Mirai, the Hyundai Nexo, and the Honda Clarity.

As of 2019, 98% of hydrogen is produced by steam methane reforming, which emits carbon dioxide.[3] It can be produced by thermochemical or pyrolytic means using renewable feedstocks, but that is an expensive process.[4] Various technologies are being developed that aim to deliver costs low enough, and quantities great enough, to compete with hydrogen production using natural gas.[5] The drawbacks of hydrogen use are high carbon emissions intensity when produced from natural gas, capital cost burden, low energy content per unit volume at ambient conditions, production and compression of hydrogen, the investment required in filling stations to dispense hydrogen, transportation of hydrogen to filling stations and lack of ability to produce or dispense hydrogen at home

Plenty more to read.
appears to be a LONG way from being competitive

..L.T.A.
There are many new ways to produce hydrogen. I get a regular news feed that updates new technologies. Of of the things they are trying out is solar power/battery generators that can be installed at fueling stations. They make hydrogen by passing an electric current through water. Because the unit works 24 hours a day, it produces and stores hydrogen in tanks that are tapped for dueling vehicles. Not mainstream yet but there are many different systems being tested. There are quite a few transit buses running on hydrogen.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
THIS IS Awesome news for Me.

I've been wanting an E-transit connect for years!!!
I'll put an ETM/porty in it and it will help solve the parking challenges I have.
I'm been dreaming of how I'll market this to the Tree-hugger portion of my clientele.
And I'll sell it at a premium over my TM services. :lol:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I love Plug Power....really don't know jack about them other than the high return though :D
They are allied with Ballard Power here in Burnaby. I am intrigued by their battery replacement fuel cells for fork lifts. You would think, if you can power a fork lift, you could power a truck mount. Be a great power source for the X-Drive. Probably need a second one to power enough heat. Right now, we have only one hydrogen filling station. More are supposed to be on the way.

Reactions: Willy P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom