Employees & Social Media

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I've noticed with social media booming and popular, now when you fill out job apps, many employers are requesting information of your social media accounts / site addresses.

Anyone with employees doing this ?

I for one am all for it, and don't consider it being nosey. Many update their career/work info with your company name. What they say, and do on these networks can have a direct impact and create opinion of your company to the public.

note to mod: please don't move this thread yet to the marketing room, I'd like to see if we can't get some good opinions and discussion going first here in the clean room, and hopefully lurkers will chime in.

Mikey P

Administrator
I always thought it would be a good idea when hiring a person to be a Professional Cleaner to visit their home and auto so see if they are actually "clean" people themselves.

Lurking on their Facebook or Twitter pages would certainly let you know about their "social/communications" skills.

But both acts would be a invasion of privacy IMO

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I can't imagine that it is needed thing for a carpet cleaning job~ a simple drug test(everyone should be doing those) and driving record check should be good enough along with an interview.

Hiring at other levels in a company may warrant a more in depth look at a person, but otherwise I am with Mike.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
When I was DRUG...back into this business....in March..... :x

The 1st week I was back...!!!!

I FIRED a little BASTURD for lying to me.... :shock:
He called in sick on a HUGE DAY....!

I checked his facebook .....He was up @ 4:30 doing shot's of PETRON....F/HIM... :!:

Not for drinking...I have NO TOLORANCE for LIARS.... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That's a good idea. I interviewed a guy yesterday to rent my house. He shows me a pay stub for 1400 dollars and said he makes a thousand per week as a tow driver. He is almost 60 years old, the place he is living now he pays 625, but he says he would need till the end of the month to come up with the 1500 move in. His story doesn't add up. If you make a thousand per week, why would you live in a hood home for 625? That was not the deal breaker. The fact that he has three large dogs that would be going all over the small back yard was.

Yea I like the idea of accessing someones social media account.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
My web tools guy recommended a little free add-on to Outlook called Xobni (inbox backward) that automatically searches out social media links for all incoming mail. For example, a friend in New England sends a message. His picture appears, along with links to his LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter accounts.

We require applicants to apply via e-mail. This makes handling paperwork and culling applicants easier. Now that I have Xobni, I can also click on whatever comes up and see if the applicant is a sweet guy or a wannabee gansta. It has been a great help.

Anyone that thinks this is an invasion of privacy, remember this is information posted to the internet by that person. If they are too stupid to realize their public profile might deter an employer, they're too stupid to have a job here.

PS: The downside to Xobni is that it slows initial loading time for Outlook and sometimes prevents Outlook from loading if you hard boot your computer. Rare and easy to work around though.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
There is a wealth of info to be learned about someone by looking into their social media, and it may be a wise idea as an employer to seek it out, i'm just not sure it is socially acceptable as of yet to actually ASK for the addresses. I'm sure most are not too hard to find on your own.

Could be considdered "creepy", especially to a female.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I've heard and seen a couple different things, that employers have spots on the application to put in the information, and that they have a legal notice saying the employer may check social media outlets as a form of reference.

F

Flashcat

I think it would be a handy tool, but I dont think anybody wants to think there social media contributions would be used to find there errors, short comings etc..

I know some people that are outright rude in their time, but awesome at work... also know some great people - who I would die if I had to work along next to again.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
If those people are friends Hoody you better tell them to get those questions off the application it is a violation of federal law

They can ask these questions during the interview process but would lead to the fastest discrimination suit ever if it were on the application for employment but they can not require you to give that information and in the interview it still may put them at risk of suit

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Just so long as the guy is fairly drug-free and not a criminal, I don't really care or even want to know that he and his friends dress up in ball gowns for the weekends.

Mike Draper

Ken Snow said:
I can't imagine that it is needed thing for a carpet cleaning job~ a simple drug test(everyone should be doing those) and driving record check should be good enough along with an interview.

Hiring at other levels in a company may warrant a more in depth look at a person, but otherwise I am with Mike.

I hired a kid once, everything checked out great on his app, interview and back round check. After 1 week and no increase in his slow, lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy work habits, I fired him. He also admitted to me he was a communist. If I could have seen his face book that said he was a commie I could have avoided hiring this pathetic kid in the first place. He even tried to file for unemployment on me. Good thing I live Utah where the business owner has rights. My last 2 employees have been farm boys. Hard working, never late, honest young men, and their not commies either. !gotcha!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
don't hire these people remember their faces

t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsaj-iUlajAt]

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
There is a case right now where the DOC(department of corrections) in Maryland is asking for their user name and password so they can snoop through their profile and private messages. That is very wrong, and actually sharing your password is a TOS violation for facebook. Asking for the web address I think may be stepping over the line, but asking if they participate in social media networks or to check which ones... I'm not so sure. They ask about hobbies and volunteering information, I think checking which ones would fall into that category.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I will let the DOJ and the supreme court know about your opinion

The rulings were very specific based on percentages of minorities who particpate in groups like linken and other were far more disparitive than the national data making it more likely to discriminate against blacks and spanish who hold a much lower percent of the linked in accounts as opposed to the national average. On a job application they can not ask you about your social life. They may ask about certain things pertaining to skills but they would not have a boxed checked for facebook. Companies who follow fair hiring practices hire companies who break out these violations because if you have their facebook account you can eliminate them base on being pregnant, being religious, being black.

3with that said you can search them and evaluate them but you MUST document what you learn

Hoody do me a favor post just one of these application you have seen. Black out the name of the company

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I don't request access to it, but I do search what is publically available when looking to employ someone.

I had a guy apply last year for a job, did a quick search and found he had a public blog absolutely slamming almost all his previous employers... including those he placed in his CV as references :shock: It showed a complete lack of respect in all aspects of his employment and an unsavoury attitude. He also had a racial/sexist underlying tone in a lot of his rants too, so working alone with white ladies in their home was going to be possibly asking for trouble.

He never did get to work for me.

I don't monitor their stuff once they work for me, but if they gave me just concern, I'd do a public search again.

John

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I don't have them Greg, but I do know it exists here where I live. My cousin applied for a sales position and they asked, and they monitor what is on their social media pages. Maybe they're unaware that its illegal, or simply don't care.

The whole reason I started this is so if anyone was thinking about or attempting to do so that facts would come out on the rights and wrongs of it. You've shown that it is not lawful to ask for the information, thanks for the heads up.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but can you please post your sources for everyone for future reference that shows you have to document what you learn, and that it is unlawful/discrimination ?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I just gave you the source Hoody the supreme court and the DOJ It was turned down by the supreme court pointing out a lower court ruling being valid

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
yes and what you posted shows it is legal how.

**** you you loser. You are wrong POINT BLANK. If you would like to continue the challenge I can have you email the guy who prosecuted the case, is that sourcing enough

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
For one, where did I say these people requesting that information were my friends ?

I never said it was legal Greg for the employer themselves to perform the search. I didn't know in the first place that is why I asked. I only voiced my option, I never stated it as FACT. You said it was completely illegal because of the court ruling I said thanks for the heads up.

No need to insult me Greg, but if you'd like to play that game we can, I will lower myself just this once down to where you are.

Are you so ignorant you can't remember what you'd typed ? You never mentioned having a third party do the search you only said the following.

XTREME1 said:
3with that said you can search them and evaluate them but you MUST document what you learn

But now you say
Secondly I never said you can not look at someone account I said it is illegal to admit it.

So which is it Greg, is it totally illegal, or only illegal to admit, or don't you really know because you're talking out of your ass?? :shock: blowme

And if you try to edit anything you've written to prove me wrong or call me a liar I have a screen shot of what you've written with a time stamp when you said it.

WHAT IS RIGHT

So we can conclude that it is illegal to ask for the information directly but it IS legal to have to ask for permission to have a third party(Social Intelligence) check and report back a pass or fail rating.

Lastly -

I was never looking for a fight, you obviously are. I like how you put words in my mouth, and also can't get it right with what you said, or have to completely lie it. And then you the balls to insult me? Get a life Greg, you can brag about your house and cars and put down people saying you're better than them, but really no body cares, and truth is you're the one that looks like a douche bag.

Happy drinking!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
we were discussing what was legal on an application hoody

There is a thousand ways to p[hrase a question IE
not allowed to ask about military service but I can ask how would you military service benefit my company. See then they can answer in the negative

I just actually read your thesis but if you need to lower yourself to me again go **** yourself I am not here to educate you. I told you the law disbeliev it if you want. This is why you will never be successful, you think you know it all

really I didn't mention third parties

hiring practices hire companies who break out these violations because if you have their facebook account you can eliminate them base on being pregnant, being religious, being black.

you are a ******* moron

you can look at as many accounts as you want but you have to have a reason other than to exclude them and if they ask for a forensic onj your computer in a lawsuit you better sure as hell have it docyumented you idiot

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
seriously are you that ******* stupid that you think I do not know what I am talking about?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Happy drinking!

I just saw this. Always the last stand of anyone who loses. There has to be a reason for them being wrong.
Wouldn
t it make more sense that they were drinking that is why they are wrong. I never understood the last salvo

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Hoody emailed me that he made me look dumb. I pointed out it is illegal to ask for a facebook address and I wait in anticipation for him to prove me wrong after the circuit court stated that any request woul;d be a violation of the equal employment act based on linkeden and the race, religion and creed but hoody will enlighten us

Go hoody

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Only because I made you look dumb in public and you have no rebuttal. Are you going to go cry now ?

waiting for your rebuttal hoody. i told you I can show you the prosecution notes on top of the proof I gave you

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Now Greg, I admitted I was wrong about what to put on an application, and stated I didn't know. Its becoming a popular subject in the media and within businesses, and so I wanted to know peoples opinions of it, and to find out if it were legal or not from what I've seen here.

Hoody said:
I never said it was legal Greg for the employer themselves to perform the search. I didn't know in the first place that is why I asked. I only voiced my option, I never stated it as FACT. You said it was completely illegal because of the court ruling I said thanks for the heads up.

So then I posted the information that showed how it is legal. I asked for your opinion of the information(to confirm that was correct), you took it as I was trying to prove it was legal to directly ask by those two websites, when we already moved past that.

And now I see where you confirmed that having a third party run the report is the legal way to do it, that is all I wanted to know.

XTREME1 said:
Companies who follow fair hiring practices hire companies who break out these violations

I see now that was a misinterpretation of you saying hiring third party companies like Social Intelligence, I didn't understand how you worded it. It looks like we both misinterpreted each other at different times during the thread.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
So when you kept saying I was wrong, I thought you were still saying its completely illegal to have anyone even a third party perform the search. All the while you thought we were still talking about what can and cannot be on a job application. Make sense ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom