encapping

cleaningfool

I will be doing my first encap job on friday in a nursing home. Any advice would be appreciated. Do any of you vac after encapping, or do you let the custy do it? Thanks Mike

-JB-

Name
JB
Do any of you vac after encapping,

pends what yore charging, and if you feel like making a second trip.

PS

boost w/a lil oxidizer.

steampro

Name
Ryan
I always do a thorough vac before, in my opinion there is nothing to vac after. I think most of the dirt is collected in the pad. If there was still "encapsulated" dirt in the carpet, wouldnt it still look dirty? Ive tested it before, gone back the next day with a brand new vac and didnt pick up anything.

lance

Seems to me that the encap juice depends a lot on foot traffic to be broken up and then vac'd up. It's a slow process but it makes sense if it happens the way people say it does.

I would think dry vac before the encap would do the best. I would like to see the results from a two step procedure:

First encap with Cimex and then follow up after that with an OP machine and Glad pads. If you HWE an area after the 2 step you could really tell from the waste water how much dirt you got out.

I have an OP machine and cotton pads if anyone wants to try it.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
If you're using an encap detergent that has a good polymer base - the post vacuuming process at the next normal vacuuming interval should be just fine. Realistically, all of the encapsulated soil won't be vacuumed with just one vacuuming. But that's not a problem if you're using an encap product that has a good polymer base. The encapsulated soil will continue to come out during the course of normal routine vacuuming, and the soil won't reattach to the fiber. You'll find that there are a few encap brands that use decent polymer, yet the majority of so called encap brands don't. It's critically important though. The polymer is the vehicle for soil capture, release, and recovery. Bottom line: if the product you're using is a true polymeric detergent, then normal routine post vacuuming (provided by the client) should be just fine. But as always, make sure you pre-vac. You do pre-vac don't you? ;-)

A

amazingcleansc

I have a nursing home that LOVES when I encap. I almost feel bad taking the $600 for a 2 hour job. Almost.

cleaningfool

Thanks for the reply's. Is prochems a good choice for encapping. It is one of two encapsulation products on the shelf at my distributor. Thanks again Mike

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
cleaningfool said:
Thanks for the reply's. Is prochems a good choice for encapping. It is one of two encapsulation products on the shelf at my distributor. Thanks again Mike

What is the other one?

RickL

Snake Oil and Releasit are the only two I'll use, tried a bunch. Snake Oil puts out a nicer smell
if you want to use Releasit try odorcide mixed in with it. Talk to Jeremy Sweetland he carries them all on his encap website and does nursing homes, convention centers, restaurants, etc and will steer you to the best product.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
cleaningfool said:

When developing Encapuclean Green DS we set out to beat the industry leader. We think we reached that goal.

For those about to try out encap, I suggest you try out two or more products - Encapuclean Green Double Strength and some of the other fine products as well. Then decide which one you prefer.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Testing

scottw said:
Rick G's Release It really brought encap to the attention of most cleaners. It is a fine product and continues to be an industry leader. That is the standard we set out to beat when developing Encapuclean Green DS. We think we reached that goal. Obviously Rick and many of his loyal customers might not agree.

Well thank you for the kind words Scott. I'll consider it a compliment that Releasit has BP's attention. As a small chemical company, it's nice to know that Releasit is on the radar of a company the size of Bridgepoint. Guess we must be doing something right :)

As Scott mentioned - it's good to compare "encap" products. Excellent advice! Don't blindly believe the marketing hype or be coaxed into assuming that a so called encap product encapsulates soil - just because it says "encap" on the label. Here are a few simple tests you can perform to get a better idea of how the product will perform...

First - dry a tablespoon of the detergent in a saucer and compare what you find after it dries. Does it dry to a brittle crystalline structure that flakes away from the dish? Or does it stick to the dish like Smuckers jelly? The polymer is the vehicle that captures soil, holds the soil in suspension, and releases the soil during post-vacuuming.

Next - clean some dirty carpet with the product. How does it perform? Is it effective on a wide range of soil conditions?

Lastly - test the products that your comparing side by side on a carpet sample. Place the sample in a high traffic area for a few days and walk on it. Then carefully evaluate the carpet sample to see which section stayed the cleanest.

This simple testing can help you gain a clearer idea of how the product will perform in the real world.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I agree with Rick's suggestions for real world testing. Clean some carpet with the encap products you are considering. Do several side by side comparisons. Different products have different strengths and weakness. Several jobs should give you a well rounded idea of what you lie or don't like about each product.

I don't agree with the simplistic dish testing. This has neither the realism of testing on a dirty job or the science of laboratory testing. The way a product dries in its concentrated form will not be the same as how it performs when diluted. The way a product performs in the presence of soil on carpet fiber will be different than what happens on a clean dish. There are a lot of differnt polymers. A good encap product should contain polymers designed to encapsulate soil on your capret not clean your dishes. The dish test is essentially a good marketing gimmick.

A more telling third test would be to compare resoil rates in some of the places you do a side by side comparison. Check after one week, two weeks, a month or longer.

SteveSmith

Re: Testing

encapman said:
As Scott mentioned - it's good to compare "encap" products. Excellent advice! Don't blindly believe the marketing hype or be coaxed into assuming that a so called encap product encapsulates soil - just because it says "encap" on the label. Here are a few simple tests you can perform to get a better idea of how the product will perform...

First - dry a tablespoon of the detergent in a saucer and compare what you find after it dries. Does it dry to a brittle crystalline structure that flakes away from the dish? Or does it stick to the dish like Smuckers jelly? The polymer is the vehicle that captures soil, holds the soil in suspension, and releases the soil during post-vacuuming.

Next - clean some dirty carpet with the product. How does it perform? Is it effective on a wide range of soil conditions?

Lastly - test the products that your comparing side by side on a carpet sample. Place the sample in a high traffic area for a few days and walk on it. Then carefully evaluate the carpet sample to see which section stayed the cleanest.

This simple testing can help you gain a clearer idea of how the product will perform in the real world.

I'm 100% in agreement with Rick here... IMO, those that don't live up to those standards are only making an excuse when they try to explain otherwise!

Steve

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
scottw said:
I agree with Rick's suggestions for real world testing. Clean some carpet with the encap products you are considering. Do several side by side comparisons. Different products have different strengths and weakness. Several jobs should give you a well rounded idea of what you lie or don't like about each product.

I don't agree with the simplistic dish testing. This has neither the realism of testing on a dirty job or the science of laboratory testing.
The way a product dries in its concentrated form will not be the same as how it performs when diluted. The way a product performs in the presence of soil on carpet fiber will be different than what happens on a clean dish.

The dish test is essentially a good marketing gimmick.

A more telling third test would be to compare resoil rates in some of the places you do a side by side comparison. Check after one week, two weeks, a month or longer.

AMEN

speaking of "marketing gimmicks"
the "dish test" is similar to some of carpet protector gimmicks used

..L.T.A.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Larry,

The reason for doing a dish test is to see what the product is made of. If it exhibits good polymeric properties in its full concentrated state, you know it's not going to get worse/stickier in dilution. Conversely, if the product is sticky in full concentrate, it's not going to improve in dilution.

The polymer is the principle part of a good encap product. It is the component that captures soil. It holds it in suspension. And it is what carries the soil away during post vacuuming.

If the polymer is lacking - so will the products performance. It's imperative that a good encap product consist of a good quality polymer - and plenty of it. There are a lot of excuses made by some manufacturers trying to explain away the fact their product exhibits poor polymeric properties. On the other hand...

bulk_polymer.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom