Encapsulation cleaning of residential carpet?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I am not talking about HWE using encapsulation presprays or detergents, or padding using encap. chemicals. I am talking about true scrub-n-run encapsulation cleaning.

Do any of you use it for residential cleaning? Does it work? Is it proper, or are you riping off your customers?

Greg Loe

Good for berber and homes that put cgd in parts of their home. Most of the time I'll scrub and do a very light hwe.
If it's extremely dirty just scrub and full hwe

Scott

I have a problem with kids and pets crawling around on scrub 'n run carpets.

Maybe I'm alone.

Scott

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Did it on a Berber once. Turned out fine. It was a friend and I did it for free. wouldn't really feel right otherwise. Didn't really feel right that time though either.

harryhides

Name
Tony
This question raises a couple of questions:-
Are you actually considering this practice for you own business or do you need some good reasons to convince yourself not to lower your standards or to stop doing this kind of dirt re-arranging?

:p

Fon Johnson

I'm 100% with Scooter on this one. The only exception would be some apartments we do. There are no kids or pets crawling on these. The results we get are outstanding. That is the closest to encapping a true residential we will get.

The Preacher

I have and do.

if proper cleaning steps are used and the customer is educated as to what the method is about its fine. if it works on nylon and olefin in a commercial why not a residential setting. i will say i pay more attention to the vacuuming steps both pre and post and i find the GLS with the gray brushes work best.

i have used Vac Away WHAMM in a home with pets (it wasn't a piss house, but i knew the dogs have gone like they all do) when i had no TM and the customer has been a repeat 2x now.

Proper cleaning principles will yield good results with encap in a residential setting!!!

PS i used encap in empty apts like Fon and thats where i decided if it'll work in these pig sties it'll work anywhere!

Jose Smith

I have done it many times. Let me give you an example.

I have a client that has a 15,000 square foot house that I clean. She also has a three bedroom guest house behind that which is used maybe a week out of the year (around Christmas). When I am asked to clean it, I roll out the GLS (now LOMAC) and some Brush N Bonnet. I pre-vacuum, encapsulate and groom.

Another example...

My house. When my wife does her normal vacuuming around the house, I realized that she was doing this to remove soil and give the carpet a nice appearance. So I taught her how to run the GLS and some encapsulate over the carpet once a month. I feel this does a better job at both goals (soil removal and appearance). Does it need it that often? Probably not. But does it hurt anything? Of course not. The carpet fibers feel softer than ever before.

Is this the absolute best method to offer your clients? This all depends on a couple of things; you and your client.

Remember the two main reasons people call a professional carpet cleaner;

1) A recent spill.

2) An upcoming event.

Both are appearance related. They want their carpet to look cleaner. But they really want it to be cleaner, as well. As long as you can attain these goals and be upfront about what you are doing with this service (leaving a cleaning solution in their carpet) and they are okay with this, you should be able to sleep at night.

I do not advise this for every cleaner to do and I do not advise this to be done on every carpet (especially the heavily soiled ones). But it certainly does have a place in the residential carpet cleaning arsenal.

Jose Smith

hogjowl

Idiot™
LOL! No Harry, I am not considering using it myself. I was simply asking because I am involved in a thread (soon to be deleted, I am sure) over on Ricks encap board where we are discussing the use of scrub-in-run on residential. I realize most of the cleaners over there are of the Star Trek variety (good people, but strange), and it doesn't surprise me to hear danny uses it too.

I just want some discussion from normal cleaners regarding how they feel about it.

My personal belief is that a cleaner who uses scrub-n-run on residential is performing poor quality work, and like danny, is using whatever reasoning he can to justify it.

PS Remember, I am not asking about the use of encap. cleaning solutions and rinses in conjunction with HWE. I am asking about the use of pure scrub-n-run encapsulation cleaning in residential environments.

Scott Rogers

I dont think it is the best tool for most jobs either, but Host and capture is essentially scrub and run and people have been using it for years.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
close one that, i was thinking piggy wiggy was gone to the other side,
but what was even more disheartening where the comments that apartments where not real residential with no kids on the carpets

it is easy for us to judge those who have moved out by the state of the rug, and the management company ....but do you know the people moving in , they might be a friend of yours with kids. they are the ones you are cleaning for, the last people are charged for your work through their deposit less the price of your basic cleaning

-JB-

Name
JB
HOLY SH!T!
cu you have a conscience? I thought for sure it was all shriveled up and dead in there, but here it is alive and well,
PRAISE THE LORD!
Wait a second maybe I better re-read your post before I post this, hang on....

Yup it's true, there is some good inside everyone!

:p

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I suspect that scrub N' run EnCApSULaTORs aka SHAMPOO users were
originally KIRBY vacuum salesmen who went out on their own.

Why we even have one guy here who advertises that the protector is added into his SHAMPOO.

And OOPS! he runs cimexes.

But of course he lives in a fringe small town where the local yo kals know nothing about carpet cleaning.

GRHeacock

I tried it first in my own house, after doing a bunch on commercial.

I waited a couple of weeks after doing my own house to see if there were problems.

No problems.

So, I began doing it in certain customer's homes, and let them know this was a new process, and to let me know if there were any problems.

No problems.

If you have questions about whether it works or not, do your own house.

Then decide.

Draw your own conclusions.

Don't dismiss an idea just because someone says- "Hey- this is no good."

Gary
Proud inventor of the Furniture Kickstand.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have never used it on residential.

I can see where it works for Jose, but we only have Cimex's nothing small for in home use.

I think it is a method best used for commercial glue downs.

Heck and I really wanted a trekie uniform, guess I blew that chance! :oops:

:wink:

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
my whole life i have been misunderstood..................
..........................ah...........................nuf said

-JB-

Name
JB
rpinecone.jpg

Attachments

• rpinecone.jpg
    rpinecone.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 299

Fon Johnson

Well, no, the apartments we do are not regular residential. They are student apartments where 19 year old kids live. You are lucky if you can even see any floor when you walk in. It is usually covered with pizza boxes and dirty clothes. There are no children (at least less than college age) there. We do vacuum the crap out of them which helps. It actually works out quite well for this case. Ask Dave Gargan. I pulled him in on the job to clean half of the units. They wanted 2 companies since they have upwards of 200 to be done in a week.

Beyond this unique circumstance, I don't believe in encapping carpet in residential settings. I don't even like using a rotary in residential settings unless it is to pre scrub with it.

G

I'd never scrub and run on a residential (as asked in this thread). Now if they have CGD in their place of residence...I might think about it. The few times that I've run into CGD in a residence though have been on enclosed porches. And I'm already HWE the rest of the place so I just HWE that too. Usually it's a small area.

Jose Smith

If you do not agree with encapsulating a residential carpet, do you approve of using any method besides HWE on residential?

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i have yes. yes. of course it was proper.

thanx --- Derek.

Greenie

Depending on your moral base, you could call bonnet or pad cleaning "scrub and run" and many have been spinnig a rag in residential for quite some time.

Even with straight shampoo brush and run, you are removing some soil with the pre and/or post vacuuming, so to each their own.

I considered doing like Jose does, and teach the kids instead of jsut vacuuming twice a week, why not spray and scrub a couple of times a month, it would be a light application and done frequently.

But I would have to rinse these carpets at least annually or it would drive me nuts.

-JB-

Name
JB
JS,
For the record I would agree with you, under certain conditions e-cap might be all that's needed, your example of the 15k sq ft home, and the guest house are excellent example's. Your the expert it's up to you to decide what suites the clients needs and budgets, and more importantly, YOUR business.

What's worse-

1-No vac., spray and suck an apartment carpet at 600 psi., only blow the soil to the back of the carpet, to have it re-appear when it dries, (days later)

2-Do a good pre-vac, e-cap it, leave it looking great, smelling great and dry in a very short time, and no post drying issues?

As the expert, if you feel it's suitable, it is. Period.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
:D :) :( :eek: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: My boy wanted to see the face. People who do this method in homes should be locked up.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Greenie said:
I considered doing like Jose does, and teach the kids instead of jsut vacuuming twice a week, why not spray and scrub a couple of times a month, it would be a light application and done frequently.

Twice a week? Did you move?...geez getting those kids to do anything is like pulling teeth...maybe he's referring to his other family. Do they make more money?

Take care,
Lisa

Greenie

well the mistress' kids are better behaved. back to reality.

so that means I can buy Paul's mini-GLS? Thanks babe.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Greenie said:
well the mistress' kids are better behaved.

What are you, stupid? You got a mistress with kids?! My lover has NO kids, no strings, always available, no drama.....

Take care,
Lisa

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Most of us already knew Lisa wuz da brainz of the family.

scrub'n run encRap is an inferior cleaning method for res.
(IF the goal is to remove as much soil and cleaning agents as possible)

Didn't the industry evolve better methods than the rotary shampoo of the last generation?
(new pixie dust chems NOT withstanding)

Having said that, If ya'll want to scrub'n run res for prices low and high and call it good, have at it.

Being in biz isn't about getting respect from your peers,
it's about making money

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom