Encapsulation on Moiré

Has anyone used an Encapsulation method on Moiré or Crushed Velvet? If so, did it affect the finish?

JamesBaileySmith said:
Has anyone used an Encapsulation method on Moiré or Crushed Velvet? If so, did it affect the finish?

Im new to mikeysboard & new to encapsulation. I'm a big truckmount guy but have been impressed by the encapsulation process using a cimex machine. I have used it only for commercial work. Can or have you used encapsulation for residential ?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hi Jim!
We usually don't wet the old natural fibers styles that were set with dry steam & pressure.

It seems like the pattern comes out with moisture, even with as little moisture as in OMS will take some of the finish out.

The more modern synthetic stuff that's made to look like the old, hasn't been a problem with cleaning.

I would only do so if OMS wouldn't get the material clean and the customer assumed the risk.

timnelson

Haven't worked with crushed velvet, but any moire that is made with natural fibers is considered suspect. Water will usually remove the finish. Moire with acetate or other thermoplastic fibers is more durable (but still must be tested).

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It affects texture and surface designs the same as dry foam shampoo.

I have had some great success with this technique, though:

On heavily soiled, durable natural fibers that didn't clean up acceptably with HWE, I'll apply an encap product, lightly brush it in with a horsehair brush, and allow it to dry.

The next day, give it a good dry brushing and vacuuming, and you'll see significant results.

Obviously, this is an in plant procedure, but its restored stuff that I couldn't use high pH presprays or oxygen boosters on.

harryhides

Name
Tony
If I'm really worried, I'll start with brushing in some "Capture powder" then cover in black plastic and set it in the sun to cook for a while and then gently vac and blow with an Air compressor. I've never damaged anything with this protocol and often get surprisingly good results.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Correct - no moisture ( well hardly any) therefore no bleeding of shrinkage issues.

The heat inside the black tent ( learned about this one from Ron Toney) makes the powder work even better and faster.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Richard, with a heavily soiled light colored, cotton fabric, pay attention now, what would your cleaning process be?
Would you first apply a pre-conditioner,
then brush in,
allow some dwell time
and then extract and towel off ?

If your answer is yes - I'm here to tell you that is a recipe for a creating a problem for yourself.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Are you talking about Moiré or Crushed Velvet finish?

Or just heavily soiled Cotton in general?

If just heavily soiled cotton in general, Yes pretty much as you stated, unless it was old upholstery.

I prefer old methods on old upholstery, vacuum well, shampoo with neutral detergent and towel & dry rapidly.

If I had to HWE, which I don't like to on older pieces, vacuum well, neutral detergent precondition, rinse with acid rinse, towel & dry rapidly.

Older pieces don't respond as well to HWE. Too many potential moisture related problems to risk the benefit. They used too much crap in the piping & trim. Pen & marker bleed through can sometimes an issue. Color loss from aggressive precondition a rinsing detergents. Browning from absorbent materials & batting.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Richard Chavez said:
Just heavily soiled Cotton in general?

If just heavily soiled cotton in general, Yes pretty much as you stated, unless it was old upholstery.
I prefer old methods on old upholstery, vacuum well, shampoo with neutral detergent and towel & dry rapidly.

Yes, just heavily soiled Cotton in general.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
KrylonTins.gif

harryhides

Name
Tony
As can be seen in these images, the internal structure of the cotton fiber is hollow and highly absorbent.

figure7.gif

fmg1.jpg

So when a Pre-Spray is brushed into the soil on the cotton fabrics surface it dissolves some of that soil and then guess what happens to this dirty liquid?

:?: :idea:

harryhides

Name
Tony
Some of the soil which was on the surface of the fiber is sucked into the inner hollow structure of the fiber where it remains leaving a white cotton looking dull and gray.
We have all seen this and in most cases it will not come clean no matter what we throw at it.

The solution is to first wet the cotton fabric with clean ( preferably distilled)
water which will be absorbed into the inside of the cotton fiber. This now creates a barrier to any dirty water being absorbed into the hollow core.
Then apply your Pre-spray, agitate and rinse/towel off.
As the water evaporates from the cotton the inner core will be left cleaner and look better.

Try it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Shhhh Kevin, don't tell anyone!

Oh and send me that CFR!

What did I offer you yesterday $25.00, ok now this is just for you....umm... since we go way back.....$26.50 today only! :wink:

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
what a great thread

great exchange of tips and knowledge from Jim, Richard and Tony. there's this months $5 worth plus some.

hogjowl

Idiot™
That was a great tip, Tony. All our upholstery is polyester, but if I ever move up north where the weird people live, I'll now be able to clean all that cotton we grow down here.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Maybe I'm hard headed but wouldn't some of the distilled water take some of the dirt with it into the fiber?.

Albert

harryhides

Name
Tony
Albert, it might but it will take far less than any pre-spray would especially if it has been pre-vacuumed. The principle to remember is "first thing in, last thing out".

Marty, that line is getting kinda old - time for new material.....

The Preacher

i know about the distilled water thing for a while and even told a local cleaner here about it and he's sent me alot upholstery cleaning since then as he doesn't really like to take chances!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom