even at $150 I feel I got raped

Mikey P

Administrator
No way am I paying $270 for two wheel barrow wheels and a steel rod.

When Taf said he'd send me a set of factory Cimex wheels to check out I agreed begrudgingly..

20150130_171424.jpg

Just like I figured..

Two bearingless wheels and some axle caps.

Should run $50 at best.

Rick's set maybe $100.

What am I missing here?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Rick's kit includes a new T-piece (because the original is probably corroded in place) and a custom machined stainless-steel axle, and the wheels have real sealed ball bearings. The price is still a little steep IMO but his kit is much more than two wheels.

Now 150 beans for two wheels and two hubcaps is way out there. Yikes!

J

JS41035

It's pretty simple. Small wheels for 1" axles are very rare. The only other option is to take a 1 inch axle and machine it down to 3/4 or smaller. Then you can buy cheap high quality 10" wheels. The options for 10" wheels with 1" centers are lame. And expensive. Take a 1 inch bar to a machine shop. Ask them to turn the ends down to 5/8. Then cut a groove for a retainer clip.
If your time isn't worth much you can do that cheaper. Maybe save 100 bucks vs buying ricks kit. Or just buy the kit and go clean carpets.
I love to tinker. But if I got 35 psf to encap I'd have a chrome plated Cimex with 20" wheels with spinners.

Name
Lee Stockwell
You could keep the factory 1" shaft (will last a century) and just add bearing hubs like small trailers use. $25 each with HD bearings, 4 hole wheels bolt on to them. Wheels $10 to $30 each depending on size and quality.

J

JS41035

I think a good question is. Why are they still made with those massive axles?

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I installed Ricks kit last week, good quality, Good customer service. First job with it was $850.00, paid for it self. It was much easier to unload, easier to push. How long would it take you to pull all the components together to have this kit made? Go find another job to pay for it and stop complaining. Quality can be expensive, but cheap you usually pay for twice.:icon_cool:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

When Taf said he'd send me a set of factory Cimex wheels to check out I agreed begrudgingly..

View attachment 1325

Just like I figured..

Should run $50 at best.

Rick's set maybe $100.

What am I missing here?

if that wheel had a brass sleeve.....it could do either reduce down the shaft size...or if they made it to fit a 1/2 shaft it would probably hold up better then a wheel with bearings.........and if for some reason you ever had a problem with it...brass sleeves are easy to find and even Marty could tap one in and out...

we used brass sleeves in a ton of motor shaft....conveyor shafts...wheel shafts...and they lasted for ever...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't like paying it but, Rick's big boy kit is really nice from the step by step "how to", to the quality of each component it was a simple easy change over.

It doesn't look like they two kits compare. I suppose it's all in what you're wanting to purchase. If you don't use your Cimex all the time but want the larger wheels go with Taf's. If you use it a lot, you really should consider the better set.

Mikey P

Administrator
I installed Ricks kit last week, good quality, Good customer service. First job with it was $850.00, paid for it self. It was much easier to unload, easier to push. How long would it take you to pull all the components together to have this kit made? Go find another job to pay for it and stop complaining. Quality can be expensive, but cheap you usually pay for twice.:icon_cool:

Yeah yeah..

But when I decide I no longer like mine and want to get Ricky's, I wont sue Cimex, Taf and the UPS guy..

Reactions: ronbeatty

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think you got fooked on those wheels.

Look at Ricks, then look at yours. I'd send it back and buy the better kit.
:stir:

Cheaper doesn't mean better and those wheels look cheap. Sure they are now bigger than the standard wheels but I don't believe they will work any where as well as Rick's. :errf:

2015-01-13_10-04-54_791_zps389a61d0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Drag you cimex up and down a few flights of step and those plastic hub wheels will be shot. I bought my cimex from Rick with the Big Boy wheels installed and couldn't be happier. It's easier to take up steps than my 175.

Reactions: Cleaning Concierge

gtech12v

when will this type of things will stop
Cimex needs big wheels
Rotary tools needs jets , bars and valves
wands needs extenders ,check valves and glides
and more to come ................

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Richard, it is nice to see someone else with a little more experience make the right decision the first time:biggrin::clap::clap:

Reactions: Mikey P

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Lee, I am running Aerotech's, great customer service. Kinda like Rick's. I don't mind paying more money for a quality product, if they service what they sell:biggrin:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
any business owner should call Graingers........they'll give any dofuss business owner a $1000 line of credit PLUS a big fat 3" thick catalog to play wit...from igniters to wheel barrow wheels they got it all......

Mike Draper

View attachment 1325

Just like I figured..

Should run $50 at best.

Rick's set maybe $100.

What am I missing here?

I felt the same way when i purchased the wheels. Its like getting raped, you just try not to think about it, you move on. Each day that goes by life tends to get a little easier and the price I paid becomes a more distant memory, each job I make $ on with the cimex tends to ease my pain a little more. But I will always remember the day I pushed that "buy" button and I throw up a little in my mouth.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom