Ever call your best clients during slow times to do a freebie?

Name
Steve Lawrence
We've done this on occasion. Looks like we may be doing it again. I think it's a good way to solidify relationships and keep employees busy and earning. Could use a few more paying jobs, too.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
I don't mean to be rude, but YOU ARE KIDDING RIGHT? Customers should be on a regular contact scheudle based on when they got their service. NOT just when you are slow!!! AND Never give away a total freebie! PLEASE come to MF!
We've done this on occasion. Looks like we may be doing it again. I think it's a good way to solidify relationships and keep employees busy and earning. Could use a few more paying jobs, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mikey P

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
my custys knew my number when it came up....
and usually sED something like.....

Mr Bob........i was jus getting ready ta call you.......

right around 1200 called me by my first name!

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
No...never for free. Read the Cleanfax article this month on giving freebie service. Now, if you want to give free protector or spotters, at least your bringing in cash flow.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
We would "call with an excuse". For example...

"Hi Mrs. Jones, Sally Smith here with Jon-Don Cleaning, your carpet cleaning company. Am I calling at a good time? (Wait for response.)
Mrs. Jones. we cleaned for you last July and always call six months later to see if you need any more of our free Lifetime Carpet Spotter? (Wait for response.)
Great. And how are your living room and dining room carpets looking? (Wait for response.)
Mrs. Jones, we are running our "touch up special" during January where we'll re-clean all the "open areas" of the rooms we cleaned last July for half the original price. In your case that would be half of 243.20 which means for only 121.60 your carpets will look like new again! I do have a truck in your neighborhood next Tuesday..."

Steve

PS Now you guys can poke holes in this. and it didn't work all the time. But as Richard says it sure beat sitting around watching the snow fall as my bills piled up!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
One year into the recession I went to a convention with the purpose of finding out what others were doing to keep thier number up. Met a guy from the DC area that decided to pull up the customers that spent the most money in the previous three years. In January he had his staff (that had very litle to do) call every one of the top one hundred and thank them for their past business. They would then tell them how much they had spent with them in those three years, explained that the crews were underutilized at that time of year, and as a thank you they would like to clean any single piece of furniture, or any room, or do some spot cleaning for free.

10% thought it was great that they were paying attention but didn't need any work done. The rest thought it was great that they were paying attention and let them come out to do a "freebie." The average amount of work added to the free work was $350. In February they called the next hundred.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
No freebies,No sales,No discounts,No speacials, No seniours discounts ,No students discounts Nadda. Just 100% value for the dollar spent. High value clients are not concerned about price when they want to get the job done right.Thats where i play.:smile:

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
No freebies,No sales,No discounts,No speacials, No seniours discounts ,No students discounts Nadda. Just 100% value for the dollar spent. High value clients are not concerned about price when they want to get the job done right.Thats where i play.:smile:

Speaking from my own experience, it's amazing how much perspective changes when you have employees and more than one truck. I'm not a big fan of truly "free" unless it's connected with a charity outreach of some kind. Having said that, seasonal specials will fill your schedule when nothing else will - and you need to fill your schedule when you have truck payments and payroll to meet on Friday.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
And how can it be necessary ? I think watching the snow fall is much better than paying someone to work for them.:icon_rolleyes:
Jeff said it, you have people on payroll no matter what. You can pay them to do a preventative maintenance on their equipment, wash and wax the truck but after that you might as well have them do something productive. It may not be income producing but at least their is a chance it could be.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Speaking from my own experience, it's amazing how much perspective changes when you have employees and more than one truck...
Exactly.

When you hire full-time employees you are making a moral commitment to feed them and their families. When I was an owner-operator I would just save up during busy times and we'd take off for the winter. One winter Sioux and I spent 2 months cruising the California coast camping out of our van. I miss those days...

Then our children and employees (who basically are the same) came along and life got more "complicated". :)

Steve

PS So whatever way floats your boat. The "staying small" route works and so can the "getting big" option. I'm just grateful to this business that a poorly educated guy like me with virtually no skills was able to feed MY family!

Reactions: Mikey P

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
I mail discount cards 10 percent off ect.
We had a SFS member who had quality plastic Gift Cards done up for 50.00 off (no minimum) but with a 3/31 expiration date. He then visited every commercial account around Thanksgiving and asked how many employees they had and gave them one for each worker to give as a free gift FROM THE EMPLOYER. (Who would now look like a hero!)

I think this was (and is!) an inspired idea.

Steve

PS And of course all the people who used the cards did much more than 50 bucks worth of cleaning. Or you can sit around and stare at the phone while the snow falls...

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Exactly.

When you hire full-time employees you are making a moral commitment to feed them and their families. When I was an owner-operator I would just save up during busy times and we'd take off for the winter. One winter Sioux and I spent 2 months cruising the California coast camping out of our van. I miss those days...

Then our children and employees (who basically are the same) came along and life got more "complicated". :)

Steve

PS So whatever way floats your boat. The "staying small" route works and so can the "getting big" option. I'm just grateful to this business that a poorly educated guy like me with virtually no skills was able to feed MY family!

If you realy think you are morally responsible to the employee and his family when you you hire them, then you are in la la land. Treating an employee good and doing what you can so they prosper is good and goes both ways. They do good you do good everybody does good.The cold reality is that the emloyer/employee realationship is pretty simple.They do the work to your satisfaction and you give them the money .That is the deal nobody owes each other anything after that.
Another reality is that if a better oppertunity came along for this employee that you hold this moral responsability to. Do you think that your morals would stop them from moving on.Hell no.More power to them i say. On the other hand if you got in trouble would you not let them go in a heart beat to put it nicley or would you allow your morals to put you in dispare.

If the moral thing was stated just for your personal way of doing things then so be it. If it was stated as a word of advice then you you are the one that needs coaching.

The single most important thing i learned on this board and i dont know who said it is. "Do not let other peoples problems become your problems".

Connor

Name
Connor
Mardie, Steve's advice is for folks on a higher plane than you can comprehend.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Mardie, Steve's advice is for folks on a higher plane than you can comprehend.

Sorry Connor i forgot that their are certin people on this board that are beyond question and should never be challenged regardless of how silly their post become. Would you please send me the list of names so that i can be a conformest just like you.:bullshit:

Connor

Name
Connor
Sorry Connor i forgot that their are certin people on this board that are beyond question and should never be challenged regardless of how silly their post become. Would you please send me the list of names so that i can be a conformest just like you.:bullshit:

Conformist, moi?

I can't overcome your ignorance for you, Mardie. I don't know Steve T. I don't think I've ever addressed him directly, but I have read what he says and he gives good advice. You should try utilizing some contextual comprehension for a change instead of being some guy who wears his asshole on his shirtsleeve.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Conformist, moi?

I can't overcome your ignorance for you, Mardie. I don't know Steve T. I don't think I've ever addressed him directly, but I have read what he says and he gives good advice. You should try utilizing some contextual comprehension for a change instead of being some guy who wears his asshole on his shirtsleeve.

I have also read his articles and found them to be very helpfull and informative. So what part of my reply to Steve offended you.:icon_question:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom