Ever Clean A Pool Table Felt???

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Anyone here ever clean a pool table top (felt)? I have one tomorrow that was exposed to heavy soot and smoke. It's been vacuumed and "dry sponge cleaned", but the WD contractor want's me to try to clean it further.

Any ideas??

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Just us a lightly dampened, lint free towel.

Heat, strong vac and water will damage it.

Felt can stretch/weaken and the crack between the slabs of slate is leveled with wax.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
All will depending whats underneath the felt. You can clean using a low moisture tool like a hydrokinetic that won't allow the water to penetrate, or even the SS uph tool as well. Low pressure, and take your time to support the fabric so that it does not stretch.

Dealing with soot you're going to want to use something with solvents in it to break it up. However, I would mix up a low strength filtration soil removal to change the charge to allow the soot particles to remove more easily, and not hurt any adhesives underneath. Make it a foam and apply the foam, and not the liquid direct with a spray bottle.

The safest bet would be using host or capture, with a brush and vacuum.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Hoody said:
All will depending whats underneath the felt. You can clean using a low moisture tool like a hydrokinetic that won't allow the water to penetrate, or even the SS uph tool as well. Low pressure, and take your time to support the fabric so that it does not stretch.

Dealing with soot you're going to want to use something with solvents in it to break it up. However, I would mix up a low strength filtration soil removal to change the charge to allow the soot particles to remove more easily, and not hurt any adhesives underneath. Make it a foam and apply the foam, and not the liquid direct with a spray bottle.

The safest bet would be using host or capture, with a brush and vacuum.

+1 and get a waiver signed ;)

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Steven nailed most of the key points. John, Larry and Lee added useful comments as well. One more point - The better pool tables will have a slate bed with wax. Cheaper tables made have a wooden bed that can warp if it gets too wet. Heat and excess moisture are your enemies.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Well, I cleaned the felt today, and it came out nice. Custy was happy. What I used was 4-5 clean, lint free microfibre towels. I folded the towels in 1/4's, sprayed the towel with ProChem Fine Fabric PS, and wiped down the felt and rails, and the leather pockets. This was a high end 3-piece slate table. I repeated with clean towels until they didn't pick up any soil. I did a final wipe with acid rinse sprayed on a clean towel, and wiped down.

It was an oil-furnace blow back.

And I cleaned their balls for them......

Did I really say that?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Micro fiber towels are great. I cleaned a bunch of taxidermy with them after they were covered with dry wall dust after a remodel. (A standing black bear, and an elk & moose head mounts.)

The bear had clean balls too!

Good money. Had to use a 20ft ladder and a step ladder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom