Ever try and take a color seal OFF?

Mikey P

Administrator
This guy didn't even know his grout was color sealed. The installer did it with out him knowing.

No idea why. The grout was fine.

The owner did buy one of the As Seen ON TV Grout Pens that dispense what looks like Type writer white out on some areas You can see in the first pic what a mess it was.

We used some non toxic gel based paint and varnish stripper, lots of bruches, a grout saw and a Cobra to get 99% of it off.

What a PITRFA!

At least he paid cash.

colorseal004-1.jpg

Gel at work..

colorseal005.jpg

As good as I could do with the amount he wanted to spend.

colorseal006.jpg

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
What product did you use as "non toxic"?

Maybe I can use it on that acrylic sealer I have been trying to expedite on the tile and grout bathrooms.

I have to submit that bid on Monday. 140 rooms!!

Mikey P

Administrator
I forget the name, I got it at Home depot.

Pretty slow acting.

As will be any non toxic stripper.

Why not use a regular floor stripper?

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I did. I used bare bones on two different testings.

Second time let it dwell for over 45 mins having to keep applying product to keep it wet and aggitate by hand brush because of the small areas (40 sq ft). The tile edges were a real PIA.

We finally got it to respond with the dwell time. Small amount was left in the grout lines but after it dried we brushed the flakes off with a wire brush.

I am figuring about $100 a room based on time and so much "hand" work. I was going to try and use max strip from TOG as it is supposed to respond to acrylics better.

I am still trying to find something that will pull it off faster. I have some chimps to do the scrubbing but would like to make it go faster. Still looks to be about 80 hours to do if we do multiple rooms at a time with the dwelling.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
ok here it a question. if you clean tile with an sx-12 in normal conditions, will it remove color seal? if it does how would you test for it? what psi do you run on normal dirty tile?

Gary T

To test for color seal, put a few drops of acid cleaner on the grout. If no "fizz" there is something on the grout. Take a pocket knife or other sharp object and scratch the grout in a few places. If there are floor vents, pull one and check there. All this should be included in your inspections.

If there is color seal and it looks in good shape, you can use your spinner at around 600 PSI and turn the heat down.

Fon Johnson

Bryan,

Different finishes will react differently to different strippers. You might want to try Spartan's Eundura Strip, Johnson's Pro Strip or Fast Strip, and Pioneer Eclipse's Formula X. The Endura Strip was DESIGNED to remove their poly enhanced finishes, and at the right dilution with lots of dwell time can make life much easier..

SJA

To test for CS you can also look closely along the edges, next to appliances, uplines, and transition areas - sometimes you can see some flaws.

dallasdj

Rotozip with diamond Xcel tip. PIG and wire brush for areas this doesnot reach or smaller tip for RZ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom