Exhaust Brake Control in the Cab

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
(2004 6008 Vortex)
Stupid Question,
I was reading in the Blueline printed manual off the net where the exhaust brake is turned off by pulling up on the washer control arm. However, in my truck there is a diagram that directs that pulling up on the handle is turning the exh brake on. Since my doesn't seem to activate either way I can't tell. Will this cause any type of problem? On my newer truck is was very obvious when the exhaust brake kicked in, and on this one I can't tell any difference which every position it is in.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
pushing the wiper control towards the dash will shut the exhaust break off...pulling it toward you will turn it on...there should be a indicator light on the dash that tells you if it is on or off....

you can test it by having the truck in park and the emg brake off....while running push the washer control forward and backwards and the light should go on and off.....

if it does not come on then it could be one of 3 problems...

the engine idle control knob is turned up to high..

the machine idle control knob is not backed all the way down or needs adjusting

the exhaust brake switch is out or needs adjusting..

these 3 areas are the first place to start looking...

what is your idle rpm's..mine idles about 900...according to the book this is pretty close ...anything above (about ) 1100 then the exhaust break does not want to work correct..... at high speeds it should kick in and start helping you slow down to about 25 to 30 mph and then release....

If left on your machine does not like to get up to full speed....

Some guys just leave theirs off....I like to make sure mine is running correct at all times...it helps with breaking the heavy loads we carry and is easier on the breaks and the life of the pads....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom