Exhaust exchanger question

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Is there anyone here who has added an engine exhaust exchanger to their Cds?
I've come across an old hydramaster slide in exchanger that was the primary source of heat. So I'm wondering if its possible or even worth it to try to adapt it to my van engines exhaust system.

G

Yes it can be done. C Ricci did it years ago. He also said there is a point of to much heat.

JohnnyV

Shoot, all you need is a box with some exhaust flanges, coiled tubing....and a Hack-Saw.....

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
JohnnyV said:
Shoot, all you need is a box with some exhaust flanges, coiled tubing....and a Hack-Saw.....

Could you elaborate on all that for this HX noob?

Greenie

Lee, just tell them in the end you abandoned the project of wrapping copper around the exhaust pipe, not worth the headache in the winter either.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've abandoned several good ideas because I didn't have the time energy or resources to pursue them....doesn't mean someone else couldn't run with it.

Glides for instance may have been abandoned by several along the line don't you think?

I could make the engine exhaust exchanger in a day or so, and have several times posted how to do it.

We traded the Butler in on the two EZ's in 2001 because the van was too rough. Wish I'd have kept the machine and transferred it.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
The best thing to do would be to have a dual exchanger(one exhaust exchanger and one liquid to liquid exchanger, that has a nice energy transfering liquid that does not boil or freeze. It would be similar to a keel cooler on a ship. The hot liquid gets heated by the exhaust exchanger and then pumped via a hydraulic pump or other heat suitable liquid pump to another liquid-2-liquid exchanger(inside the van near the TM) where water flowed through heating it up to a nice even tempurature. Now, if you could regulate the temp of the non-freezing/non-boiling liquid to about 300 degrees, you should get some good temps in the 250+ range as long as you have an adequate exchanger to transfer that energy to your cleaning water.

Greenie

If I had a Butler and "upgraded" to an EZ I'd wish I had my Butler back as well.

How did you control the additional heat of the exhaust wrapped copper exchanger?

G

Ahhh the butler , yes that was a heck of deal. Lee, I wish that you had kept the butler to! I gave a 2,000.00 trade in for a van and machine based on the fact that I was told it was in good shape and ran well. The van was a fred flinstone van. You could have used your feet to move it because their was no floor to the Van. Your son Justin said that he was worried about the seat falling through the floor and that it was hard to keep it running. The butler was in such bad shape that there was no repairing it. I ended pulling the machine out of the van and gutting parts from it. The Van was sold to a guy for $100.00 due to the shape it was in. So in retrospect Lee, I wish that you had keep it. My E-Z's take a licking and keep on ticking. Buy the way you have been touting my machines for the last three to five years, what has changed???????

G

What kind of deal did Lee get on those EZ's Nick ? Seems like you gave a "buddy " discount on those 2 units if I recall .
Concerning the free - flow , whats wrong with testing new things to try to raise the bar ?? Try it or don't , but its kind of shitty to try to knock someone without at least giving it a go first .

James

Name
Lee Stockwell
The Butler ran fine, Nick saw it and ran it when he was here. Justin drove it to Texas for him. It only had a 45 blower and the EZ's had 4007s, thus more power for the amount of gas used. Nick pulled the 45 off of it and sold it to one of you guys.

The reason I said I wished I'd have kept it is because Nick immediately cannibalized it. The "$2000" figure was a moot point, as it was actually thrown in to help Nick out. I was hoping he would reverse engineer a simple cds unit that he could sell down the line.

Nick is ruffled because I got on his case for a couple of customers who were falling thru the cracks. Someday he will realize I do him a favor by building a fire under him. :!:

G

Nick is not mad or ruffled. It was a fred flintstone van. Yea a couple guys did fall thru and we fixed and ray ralston says the free flow kicks the but of the kunkle we got from greenie. Just ask him lee.

c2csteam

I added a blower heat exchanger to my CDS 4.8 and I got very good heat out of my unit 230-245deg, that not bad

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom