Exhausting My Performer

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
In an attempt to not reinvent the wheel...

Picked up this Performer exhaust kit for my 405 and for $150. Quite underwhelmed I am.

pc-66945462-ea.jpg

The HX 1.5" steel flex tube is not terrible. Guess I am not expected to use clamps on it.

I like the castings that they mount to, yet I dislike not having gaskets to seal out the 02.

The 3.5" exhaust tube is a very thin fabric that just does not seem durable. If the hose has an undetected breach, that could be fatal. How many hours of heat soaked run time will I get from it before it becomes brittle?

From the pic i imagined a material thickness similar to the marine exhaust hose I used for my primary vacuum lines. The hose I purchased is thinner than my t shirt, but it bends nicely.

Performer Exhaust Instructions.jpg

The instructions show to install the outlets in the sidewall of the step well. The 180* bends would be moisture traps, no? I think they should be installed at 90* pointing straight down. Am I wrong?

I seem to recall (but can not find) a picture of a really sweet setup where you (whoever you are, you OCD mechanical genius) built a step well from diamond-plate, and had the exhaust hard-piped out the bottom. Yes, I think that is what I need to do. I have lots of aluminum diamond-plate in stock.

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I wouldn't worry about a small amount of Carbon Monoxide that may or may not leak, it's not like you'll be sitting inside the closed van while running your unit. I would still use muffler clamps on the engine exhaust.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
So, you are going to pipe your exhaust down to the step so it will easily flow under the truck???
I see the fumes permeating the whole truck from underneath and raising carbon monoxide levels
off the charts inside the truck.
I would mount a CO detector inside the truck to monitor after doing it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom