EZ Boss 40 HP Truckmount

Name
Marcus
I am reading that most of the problems are probably coming from the larger engines30-40 hp....
I would like to hear more feedback on life of the larger engines.....
I have a 30 hp kholer. And a 33 hp generac but don't have over 1000 hrs yet so can't say yet how long they will last.....
Has anyone had a large engine30-40 hp that has gone 3000........ Hours plus.....
Thanks
Cap

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I never got long life from mine either. Didn't matter which brand or size usually 2-3 k hrs and they are toast. The air here is almost always hot and I average long run times really heating the engines up. You can't leave a window down because of the rain. I ran radiator fans to pull heat out but they still get cooked. The fan is pulling in and the exhaust is blowing out and depending on the wind now your sucking back in the hot exhaust. Lawn mower engines were not designed to be run in a closed box. Air cooled should be a big hint. You need a constant source of fresh clean air. Impossible in a van. Lots of companies here run roof vents which is the best idea and helps some.

Did pictures ever get posted?

Gene

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I am reading that most of the problems are probably coming from the larger engines30-40 hp....
I would like to hear more feedback on life of the larger engines.....
I have a 30 hp kholer. And a 33 hp generac but don't have over 1000 hrs yet so can't say yet how long they will last.....
Has anyone had a large engine30-40 hp that has gone 3000........ Hours plus.....
Thanks
Cap

The new design Kohler 999cc engines ranged from 34HP to 40HP initially . . .

Now they are 32.5 to 35 net HP for output with full alternator charging & muffler installed . . .

We were the first TM builder to go to them about 6 years ago and the original TM's we sold are still running strong . . .

I don't have exact hours, but many of them are over 3500 hrs . . .

One important revision the factory has made is thicker 20-50 W oil . . .

Zinc additive is important for most small engines, and the auto mfgs. have convinced the oil mfgs. to remove some of the additive so catalytic converters will last 50,000 miles . . .

Since these engines have an oil cooler, they can go longer than 100 hrs between oil changes . . .

We recommend either Kohler 20-50w or Valvoline Racing 30w in our TM's.

Larry

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
The new design Kohler 999cc engines ranged from 34HP to 40HP initially . . .

Now they are 32.5 to 35 net HP for output with full alternator charging & muffler installed . . .

We were the first TM builder to go to them about 6 years ago and the original TM's we sold are still running strong . . .

I don't have exact hours, but many of them are over 3500 hrs . . .

One important revision the factory has made is thicker 20-50 W oil . . .

Zinc additive is important for most small engines, and the auto mfgs. have convinced the oil mfgs. to remove some of the additive so catalytic converters will last 50,000 miles . . .

Since these engines have an oil cooler, they can go longer than 100 hrs between oil changes . . .

We recommend either Kohler 20-50w or Valvoline Racing 30w in our TM's.

Larry

I switched my 38hp Kohler over to the new 20W50 oil 100 hours ago.
It has done wonders for oil consumption and leakage (the 10W30 synthetic I was using seamed to piss out every gasket on the machine).

But here in the Northeast I may have to switch to something a bit lighter for the winter as the oil light has been coming on for the first 5 minutes till the oil gets warm.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Is that math right or just a number thrown out?

6 years?
3500 hours/6-years=583 hours a year

583/52 weeks =11.21 a week

Divided by 5-days =2.24 hours a day :eekk:

Who's running those machines, Marty between his naps? :winky:

Reactions: hogjowl

hogjowl

Idiot™
Is that math right or just a number thrown out?

6 years?
3500 hours/6-years=583 hours a year

583/52 weeks =11.21 a week

Divided by 5-days =2.24 hours a day :eekk:

Who's running those machines, Marty between his naps? :winky:

I bet that if you averaged out the hours of all carpet cleaners, that figure would be right.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We put that many hours on our units and carpet cleaning is only 10 percent of our sales mix.

I'd think it would be closer to 800-1000 hours. Back in the day when we were running 8-carpet trucks we averaged 800 on most and a couple right around a thousand and we have a winter season.

I think there is far too much nap time in there! ;)

Reactions: SamIam
Name
Lee Stockwell
My machine hours were under 600 this year. Up until 3 years ago that was 750-900.

I've personally slowed down some, but the bigger factor is diversifying a bit, and doing more encap.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Im not sure that you can attribute no cover with short engine life. I think this is more theory than fact. I have seen several tcs units with over 4k hours on the original engine as well as Judsons that have tons upon tons of hours on the original engine. As far as the shield being on the machine I noticed that I replaced belts and other internal parts such as selanoids and wiring much more on my white magic which was enclosed. I think the big block series kohler is more to blame.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Most of the TM's have not been out 6 years . . .

Reduced Zinc in engine oil is not good for our air-cooled engines . . .

Racing oil or Diesel oil has the full Zinc package of additives.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom