Fascinating photo of a tile floor gone bad after cleaning..

Mikey P

Administrator
1668525499213.png

Tiles popped loose an hour ofter getting "spinner'd"

Florida.
Concrete subfloor..
Look at the clues

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
“As a consequences”
I question their cleaning conclusion since they’re too ignorant to properly use the English language.

Not to pique your ire Marty...

But it seems Mssrs. Mahadev Desai, Shekhar Parikh, and Ravin Desai do better with English and grammar than many of us here, including, at times, our fearless leader Mikey.

They're a pretty good resource.

I caught the "as consequences" too

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Always an installation failure. Nothing to do with the cleaner
Yeah I mentioned probably not enough thin set, but I hear hallow points in tile all the time and it's doesn't pop up, I just see breaks before I touch it.

But I'm proper install of thin set ant tile is a real deal.

Name
Nate W.
One of my many fears with tile cleaning.. Golf ball test or even the seam tractor going over it to hear if it's hallow.. A lot of WDR guys have had problems with "tenting/popped" tiles after drying out..

I'm sure your BHGG are the answer to this problem.. Lower pressure and heat used to clean it..

Mikey P

Administrator
One of my many fears with tile cleaning.. Golf ball test or even the seam tractor going over it to hear if it's hallow.. A lot of WDR guys have had problems with "tenting/popped" tiles after drying out..

I'm sure your BHGG are the answer to this problem.. Lower pressure and heat used to clean it..
Tenting is due to incorrect installation but as in the case of this particular photo it was aggravated and definitely the straw that broke the camel's back but had the concrete subfloor not been wet. Most likely there would have been no tenting

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson

Golf ball test? Drop it a few inches and listen?
seam tracker? please explain.

you can never become cocky with uph cleaning nor tile cleaning. Prequalify / inspect and have them sign off for pre-existing potential problems. Oh and take pics of everything with your phone as back up. Especially upholstery. One time ago it cost me $$$ for a chair with down in it. Got a call two days later that it became brown. Got it back to 95% better but the hag was still not happy. I Should have followed my gut and foam cleaned them instead of wet clean. Learned a $958 lesson (total amount of the job).
Fortunately for me all I lost was time spent on the job. Worked for free that day.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam
Name
Nate W.
Golf ball testing is if it sounds hallow by bouncing the ball.. Seam tractor with spikes attached to a broom handle and you roll it over the tiles, it'll sound hallow as well.. A well installed floor won't have the hallow sound..

My pops has been a certified inspector, so I've seen some sh!t jobs.. Imho you couldn't pay me enough to deal with people's BS when it comes to finger pointing..

As for Down feathers, it had the orangish/red stains? We call those humidity stains and you can only treat it but it will come back.. Real PITA to deal with.. Some customers we've done with sewing a bag of canvas around the cushion on the inside.. Most don't want to pay for it.. We advise with our humidity/tropical weather we have, it's inevitable..

But yes, dry foam would lessen the chances of more issues.. I hate working for free as well, unless it's for a good cause..:biggrin:

Last edited:
Reactions: SamIam

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Golf ball testing is if it sounds hallow by bouncing the ball.. Seam tractor with spikes attached to a broom handle and you roll it over the tiles, it'll sound hallow as well.. A well installed floor won't have the hallow sound..

My pops has been a certified inspector, so I've seen some sh!t jobs.. Imho you couldn't pay me enough to deal with people's BS when it comes to finger point
As for Down feathers, it had the orangish/red stains? We call those humidity stains and you can only treat it but it will come back.. Real PITA to deal with.. Some customers we've done with sewing a bag of canvas around the cushion on the inside.. Most don't want to pay for it.. We advise with our humidity/tropical weather we have, it's inevitable..

But yes, dry foam would lessen the chances of more issues.. I hate working for free as well, unless it's for a good cause..:biggrin:
correct..orangish red stains. More orangish almost like a dull brick color.
I know one thing, never again.
inspec inspec and inspec some more.

the tile test for hollowness is great info.

SamIam

Name
sam miller

My pops has been a certified inspector, so I've seen some sh!t jobs.. Imho you couldn't pay me enough to deal with people's BS when it comes to finger pointing..

I mentioned that in the Facebook thread, not a enough thin set used, but someone mentioned it was improper application and installation of thin set and tile.
Also I've cleaned 100s of tile floors with echo or hollow spots and haven't had this happen.

It only happened once when I clean a carpet bordering tile that popped

Not a lot of moisture at all.

Reactions: Nate The Great

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom