Female Tech, can't say no..

Becker

Name
Becker
I was approached by a very direct and confident woman seeking employment.

She produced one of the best resumes I'd ever seen, Most just ask for a applications, or fill one out online.

No, why can I not say no?

Well as I said, she was well prepared, and her offer to me was. Give me one day at min wage to prove myself, she followed up with. And I promise you will hire me.

We will see after the 20th.

Reactions: tmdry

GaryM

Name
Gary MacKay
Can't say no? LOL. Progressivness, sodomy, transgenderism, & genderly confused, hey why not right?

Becker

Name
Becker
However, if she pans out and finds out about Mikeys board and reads, I'll loose her to a local biz, as with me she will make 40-50k a year.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
My daughters worked for me until they brought home boys that are now my workers.

The people still ask for Jena (our middle daughter) She is an entire 100 pounds (if that) and could and can do everything a guy could. It was all about her determination.

Moves couches and blocks them, runs the vans, water damage tear out, fire clean up.....she was a little bulldog and again, all the people especially the little old ladies loved her!

The guys on my crew would fear her....LOL! She ran the show!

I hope it works for you too.

This is the 3 girls, at Jena's wedding (was our lead tech) (my wife on the right side....as young as her daughters)

ShariampGirlsatwedding_zps7777dd0c.jpg

Her husband with her at the wedding rehearsal (he is now my lead tech and great guy!)

PC170006_zpscbf53a76.jpg

And this is our little grandson (their little boy)....just a character and he already loves to hang out and help clean in the shop at 17 months old

2014-02-27080314_zpsc4a1c376.jpg

2014-02-24173207_zpsd11aa37a.jpg

2013-12-25115425_zps4054a1cb.jpg

2013-08-12101509_zps89f635c4.png

Mark

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I have several customers who employ women as carpet cleaners, or who are owner operators.

Its an issue of whether or not they are physically fit for the job, not a gender issue at all. Most restoration companies that I know employ many women who work in the field doing tasks more physically challenging than carpet cleaning.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree.

We've always had great female employee's that perform many services for us. While we don't currently have any cleaning carpet regularly for us, they will help us out on commercial work running low moisture equipment.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I have a friend who ran a successful carpet cleaning business with a couple of truck mounts for about 20 years.

She was endlessly amused at the amount of (her words, I quote)

"soft handed, pudgy momma's boys, beer bellied hairy barbarians, bony thin skinned sissies (she didn't say sissies) etc that couldn't last a week working next to me"

If you saw her, she wasn't a tough looking woman at all. She'd fit in with an number of 30 or 40 something women you'd see working in any walk of life.

She was (is) just a person who knows how to work and keep in shape.

Just my 2 cents from my experience.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
AS long as she is an Employee, What ever you do!

Do not play grab ass with her, Ever!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
She could turn out to be a terrific employee but It is possible that the potential for drama will be higher.

Anything you say or do is a potential lawsuit, so you'd better be able to say no if it comes to anything other than being completely professional.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No off color jokes. The girls will often say things that I might comment on had they been a guy but bite a hole in my tongue since they are a female. Just not worth the hassle if I say the wrong thing.

I would also NEVER hire any of Mark's girls either. They are way too good looking and it would be nothing but trouble here with my tech's! :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've posted before about my one female tech, years ago. She was great! I'd hire her again.

The things I have added/changed about my business as a result of getting older have caused it to be able to be ran by a woman, no matter how small.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The things I have added/changed about my business as a result of getting older have caused it to be able to be ran by a woman, no matter how small.
Its not already? :p

Easy... take it easy.... it was just a joke. Don't get your pigs knuckles all clenched! :biggrin:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
View attachment 4210

My daughter cleaning at the commercial account we do monthly .. she wands 4hrs straight with dump and fill breaks without a complaint .. Ive had her on residential jobs during school breaks .. customers are drawn to talking to her .. asking her stuff like shes the experienced professional

She can lift sofas to block or card them .. she would try to carry in 2 blowers at a time forgetting she needs the other hand to open the door .. Id hire her full time

I had an above average looking female estimator/sales rep May-June last year. She was waaay too educated to do this as well, she had an MBA. She was between jobs. Once she found something, she left with 1 day's notice, as in "Today is my last day dude." Hurt my business tremendously. All the horny dog commercial accounts she got for me (about 6) all balked when I showed up to sell the next service and they found out she moved on. I didn't keep a single one.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Oh they all lovey when they happy, but tick one off and see how far ya get!

Them critters don play fair!

The last one she sold, about a week before she left was an empty restaurant at a Day's Inn, their lobby and about 1/4 of their rooms including mattresses. She really hurt me. She agreed to do 2,500 sf of nasty restaurant for $325!!!??? The lobby for $125 and the rooms for $30 each, including the mattresses and curtains! The reasoning behind this was it was a "good will job" and that he'd be giving us more work as soon as the empty restaurant had a tenant. Still no tenant in it 10 months later. When he called in August to get 10 more rooms done, I told him we made a mistake on the pricing, we needed to get $45 per room. Still way too cheap. Of course 3 months later, that guy still had not paid a "net 30" bill with us. He paid, but not the interest, on December 29 last year. Some of the other jobs she got were priced right, like a strip and wax of VCT at a American Legion Hall. I waited 6 months, wanted to at least sell a scrub and recoat. They asked for her. I said she was gone. They told me the only reason they gave her the job was because she told them she had trouble paying bills and had a one year old at home. She did have the baby, but her husband was a Physician's Assistant at a local practice, it is my understanding he was making about $1,800 per week. We had that practice too, until she left.

Becker

Name
Becker
Ok. So lots if interesting replies. What's different from having a female tech vs a female office employee?

Becker

Name
Becker
Girlfriend wants to spend a week this summer working with me. I'm excited for her to see what my typical week is like.

Mikey P

Administrator
I trained some gals with Millers and Coit.

They never lasted.
Some could do the sales, some could do the grind, none could ever conquer the stereotype that it's a man job and most homeowners will be very leery and re-dos are overwhelming...

"A man could have gotten that traffic lane out with more elbow grease"

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Didn't Jim Bethel set up a truck with a hot pink Sapphire and a hot pink Orbot and other tools like that for a female tech only company?

Perhaps Jim coould invite those ladies on here to tell about their experience dealing with female techs and dealing with customers that are faced with them.

Obviously Owner ops as women will do ok...Like Lisa did. But as a tech doing the work for someone else can become tolling on a woman I don't care how fit she is. Some days are hard on us sixfootseven235pond guys, that are not out of shape...

Back
Top Bottom