Finally an easy Saltillo

Mikey P

Administrator
Nice even install with only one coat of some jive acrylic.

700 sq ft.

We were able to remove 85% of the sealer with just the dry Nylagrit brush I got recently from Jon Don.

Notice the peel seal near the base board
saltillo001.jpg

Gone!
saltillo003.jpg

Shiny...
saltillo002.jpg

Not shiny
saltillo004.jpg

Taking it off the walls

saltillo005.jpg

Stripped and drying

saltillo010.jpg

saltillo012.jpg

I'm going back tomorrow to seal her up.
I'll post more pics.

G

I thought it was because you like Ron's masculine image; you mean you listen to Ron because of his equipment?? hickup@! Another Margarita gone; :mrgreen: :D :) :roll: :twisted:

Fon Johnson

Mikey P said:
maybe if you had a real truckmount...

Man, that was just cold.

Hey, anyone can do good with a big machine. I get 2 hour dry times with a 33 blower, and I routinely put my competition to shame. Now, isn't that what it is all about.

I'm a little hurt..

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Have you guys used those on any other hard surface for scrubbing?

These cimex brushes I just got, suck. Looking to go with a little nylo grit action for these dirty commercial joints.

Mikey P

Administrator
Concrete, brick and maybe the Lucky Dragon that's gone for 12 years w/o cleaning are the only things I would think that thing is safe on.

For Saltillo you need to determine what it is currently sealed with, if it actually need stripping ,9/10ths of them do and 8/10ths always have more than one type of sealer on them ranging from Mop N Glow, Glaze N Seal Ole', A acrylic finish of some sort, Lacquers, Epoxies, Peruvian Ear Wax, Turtle was and if you're real luck just some penetrative sealer. Be prepared to dry sand some of the sealer off where it's been over applied.

Do you best to get the finish or finishes off with out destroying the surface of the tile and base boards, let it dry real well and apply a high solids floor finish (or wax for you old farts) with at least 3 coats.

It's a learn as you go process because every situation will be different. Do not confuse Mexican Pavers with Saltillo, If you scrub a Paver too hard you' expos the hidden aggregate.

Make darn sure the customers expectations are not set to anything above "the floor will be clean and look better"

5 bucks a foot minimum to do all the steps. After you do your first one and most likely mess it it up you ask for ten on the next one.

Mikey P

Administrator
Went back today to find it nice and dry and ready to be sealed up.

saltillo2001.jpg

saltillo2002.jpg

After one coat of a Pre Sealer..

saltillo2003.jpg

and after 3 coats of wax

saltillo2011.jpg

Look ma, no drips!

saltillo2006.jpg

saltillo2005.jpg

saltillo2010.jpg

Looking good!

saltillo2007.jpg

saltillo2008.jpg

saltillo2012.jpg

saltillo2013.jpg

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I looked at one today, tile looked great, finish still shiny, no flaking, no scuffs BUT the grout looked darker in traffic areas and kitchen. Question is can you do anything to the grout without messing up the finish? I would assume the grout was waxed too before the grout got dirty. Do you have to strip EVERYthing to get the grout clean? :?

P.S. $5.00 per foot is the average? Even for a bdcc? Great looking tile Mikey!!

Jay D

Name
Jay D
The tile had no dirt in the finish, just the grout looked challenged. I told the client that the tile was fine just dirty grout. I did'nt touch it yet. And i am very reluctant cuz the size and area is approx. 1000+sq ft and a lot of stuff to move.

Mikey P

Administrator
If you'd had sprayed the grout with some tile cleaner , scrubbed and toweled it off you would not be asking these questions right now.

Mikey P

Administrator
If you decide to clean it only, use a neutral pH cleaner, a soft brush, warm water only and keep your pressure under 700 or you'll damage the top coat in one way of the other.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
so how did the micro fiber mop work for you

if you get the band that goes around the brush it will stop it from slinging the goop

Rickie said:
I thought it was because you like Ron's masculine image; you mean you listen to Ron because of his equipment?? hickup@! Another Margarita gone; :mrgreen: :D :) :roll: :twisted:

the janitor in you makes it so you will never understand. If you give up the secret sauce you might gain some creditability :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom