Finding the row

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
I've been using different sized instruments and have found it relatively easy on some carpet to find the rows, although keeping it open while I cut is sometimes tricky, so I've started parting with my left hand and cutting with my right with some success. Some cut pile carpets are almost impossible to find a clean line to cut in the other direction, and some I just can't seem to find a line either way.

Am I still on the right track? Some of my patches are coming up great, some not. I find the sisal style patches the easiest.

Heathrow

harryhides

Name
Tony
Do you have a row finder and a couple of large knitting needles.
I also find it tough on some carpets.

I have a few different sized spatulas - like for spreading drywall mud and also about a foot long wallpaper spreader that comes in handy for longer cuts.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I will use a flat screwdriver . All different guages of nitting needles. Also will attempt an awl. I like to go to the hobbire stores an get different item. On tight weave like a masland or tuftex or simular a very small tip usually works good. Sometimes I use a combon wiltons and velvets as well as any looped materials. Sometimes a take a carpet pole to seperate as it bend than use a loop pile cutter. Well the story can go on an on. Im sure you get the idea.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Just keep trying different things Heath.

I like Tony's suggestion of the straightedge.

When doing cross cuts on tufted carpets, remember there will always (I'm yet to find a carpet that doesn't) have a gap, it might not be perpedicular to the rows, it might be on 30/60 or 45 degrees but it'll be there.

I first of all run my blunt ended awl through to open it up, then if the cuts are small, free hand cut with the stanley knife, if longer cuts are required, OR I only want to remove the primary backing only, then I use my cushion cutter. I'll often do a few dry runs first without the blade just to make sure it's running freely and won't grab or jump rows on the cutting run.

Don't underestimate the use of a shark pair of duckbill napping shears. I carry two at any time and also use them all the time for the cross cuts

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I do the same John on cross seams. The duckbills tend to get right in there and you can see where and what you are cutting.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Good suggestions thanks. I have a knitting needle, an awl and a few different sized plastic chopsticks that I find pretty good. I find on the longer pile I can tape back the edges to see the gap but Tonys suggestion of using the spatula type tool is one I'll try as well.
Thanks

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I was having a problem finding rows, but the knitting needle has made it easier. I also got some new drywall kinves for the toolbox. my old ones were pretty beat up, and looked like crap. I don't think Mrs. Jones wanted the old knives in her carpet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom