Finger print dust-tough stuff

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I cleaned a house that had been broke into and the coppers got finger print dust all over the carpet, especially around the dressers corners. It is black and very hard to get out. Off course the homeowner tried every thing before I got there. What is in this stuff?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I don't know whats in it, but it would seem like you would treat it like copier toner.

If the customer got it wet before you got there, I doubt there is much if anything you can do.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
we did one once..it was a church that was broken into.

I knew it was a super fine powdery dust, I simply used a hand tool to dry vac first.
It was pretty easy to remove ater that as i recall .

I believe I've read it's volcanic ash.
Maybe it's some of synthetic dust now, I donno???

put water on it before it's dry vacced and it will be like trying to remove potting soil that's been wetted out
the homeowner may have made it 10 times more difficult depending what they did

I've also heard you shouldn't use your upright vac either.
As the dust will cling to the roll brush and spread it all over

..L.T.A.

Name
Nate W.
Like Jim Martin will tell you, to vacuum the crap out of it. Then vacuum some more. Clean as you normally would. Treat it after if anything remains.

Since the homeowner used something before you, they may have set it in. I also heard it was made of graphite.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Vacuum vacuum vacuum then vacuum some more then when your done vacuum some more and just in case you think your done vacuum again.THEN treat it like filtration soil. Lots of FSR treatments but I really like CTI's FSR. You can also use Ultrapac Renovate in heavy concentration

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
John is right, plenty of vacuuming. The powder is very fine. Use a HEPA or ULPA vacuum system or there will be dust everywhere. You can use the truckmount with a Dust Downer if you are careful that all connections are tight. You don't want to spread the powder. Don't use brush agitation.

John is also right on using a filtration soil remover, but I prefer Bridgepoint's Filter Free.

A product to remove artificial dye can help on the powder that did get work. Treat it like tiny spots of Kool Aid or Gatorade. Use Red Releif or Red ZONE. If you use Red ZONE you should not need a steamer if the carpet was protected. But for carpet without sufficinet protector, you will need a steamer or an iron and white towel.

RIP IT

Name
Chris
In some instances I have used a syringe laying almost flat across the carpet and slowly injected my ( insert favourite fingerprint dust spotting chemical of choice ) into the base of the face fibres whilst dry vacuuming the liquid away. gotta keep the stain on top of the carpet if you want it out. BEFORE doing this, like advised above VACUUM for 10 minutes then vacuum some more before adding moisture of any kind.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
our house got broken into 2 years ago and finger print dust was everywhere..
vacuum vacuum vacuum then use some power gel..piece of cake.
no issues at all.

A

amazingcleansc

Lyman said:
I cleaned a house that had been broke into and the coppers got finger print dust all over the carpet, especially around the dressers corners. It is black and very hard to get out. Off course the homeowner tried every thing before I got there. What is in this stuff?

its probably graphite.

graphite doesn't really dissolve in anything, which is why you are having a problem. (Chemists, back me up here.)

if it were me, I would dry vac it first and take care not to agitate it, since more agitation will cause it to mark the carpet more. then I would follow it up with lots of rinsing.

I wonder if there is any acid that dissolves graphite.

Joe Bristor

Solvents will do the trick as noted by others.
I especially like the Aussie's technique.

It was made tough by the person who's attempts failed, probably used water based products.
Did your attempts fail Lyman?
How did you handle the person?
What words did you use to resolve it?

And in general, what can you say when you know they've set the stains before you?

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
Every thing came out fine but was hell getting it out. I got a few more ideas now on how to speed the process up next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom