First and Second bonded insert jobs

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
These are pics of my first and second bonded inserts ever. The first one I was very happy with. The second, I was not. I think I should have run the tape in a 90 degree angle from the way that I did. I found out not to run the koolglide perpendicular to the tape. Nice little burn hole that I had to repair in the insert because I was using the donor from a closet and didn't want to look like the hack I was acting like. Had to stretch that side to the laminate as the homeowner could not get the nails in the cement from the tackless.

Let me hear the critique. I am really starting to push the repairs now. I need the jobs for OJT.

IMG_1725.jpg

donor piece from a different color carpet in the bedrooms

IMG_1724.jpg

second job in order

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

M

Mark Imbesi

I'm not gonna bash anyone for trying, but...

The 1st one, with the different color donor, looks awesome.

The 2nd, white one, the donor is profiling because of 1 or more of the following reasons:

a) donor piece was cut too short....cut better next time

b) you shaved the tufts around the edges when cutting the donor or the field....cut from the back and hold knife perpendicular to the carpet...also don't press down too hard to cut the piece

c) donor piece is sitting higher or lower than the field....try to carry a small piece of luan to place under the patch when seaming (especially when repair is around a perimeter and easily removed afterwards). haveing a firm surface will help with repairs tremendously.

Take the advice for what its worth and keep at it! You will get better!

M

Mark Imbesi

C'mon! Anyone else wanna offer this fella some critique? I'm not the end all, save all!

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Ok, AWESOME job on the first one.

Second one? who knows? Like Marc said could be a couple of those factors? Or could be a mis alignment of the direction/nap?

Sometimes I'll go to another part of the same room where I can find the true direction rather than trust an area od high use that may have realigned with use.

Other than that, give it a good clean and see if it settles/blends in with the surrounding area being cleaned.

Sometimes, you just get that and no matter what you do, it'll never be 100%.

Thanks for sharing and keep trying and master it.

John

(oh yeah, ditch the pattern and learn to freehand :lol: on bits of carpet first of course)

harryhides

Name
Tony
Good job Bryan, Kool Glide is an awesome tool ain't it?

Marc and John have covered it. Untrafficked areas are the best places to check for pile direction.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I struggled with the direction a bit on the donor piece for the white carpet. The closet seemed to be pieced together. I could not get a 100% direction.

Just keep "plugging" away.

Stevea

Bryan,

Great comments from everyone and obviously everything said was educational. I just thought it was good that you shared this with everyone, even the one that you may not have thought was so good. I always tell everyone my goal is to make a 60-80% improvement, this way they are not at all disappointed if it is not almost 100% but if it gets close then they think you have done a great job. Often, sharing the before and after photos with the customer is something I have found to be good since they often forget how bad it looked.

Keep making the repairs and keep sharing with all here.

SA

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
KevinL said:
Did you also protect the edge of that carpet to prevent more damage?

??????? Not sure what that means. The damage was caused by the homeowner trying to stretch his own carpet back w/o the pins of the kicker in the carpet.

Back
Top Bottom