First day with the Scratch B Gone DYS kit

Mikey P

Administrator
Our SS sink has gotten pretty caked/scratched/oxidized so I whipped out the 3 included abrasive pads, oxidizing/cutting fluid and pad holder and went to town.

Right side sink before
ssb4.jpg

After
ss2after.jpg

Left side b4
ss1b4.jpg

After
ss1after.jpg

Edge b4
ssedgeb4.jpg

After
ssedgeafter.jpg

I'd like to learn some tricks for dealing with all the curves and change in direction of the grain on a sink.
Hopefully they cover it at MF.

I also worked o a small scratch on my SS fridge.

The original grain was finer then the finest pad in the kit would duplicate. Looks better but not quite perfect. Trying to mimic the grain on a large panel like a fridge would be easier with a jig of some sort to hold the pad straight.
Got to distracted to take pics, sorry.

Mikey P

Administrator
As a rookie to this process I can already see that pre qualifying the results will be mandatory.

While huge improvements can be made I'm not sure an exact match to a factory grain will ever be possible when doing a spot on a large surface

I would guess whole panels would have to be done for consistency and by using hand tools the grain will not be as perfectly straight as what can be done by a machine, obviously.

Truly anal customers will be a bitch to deal with.

My wife was pleased with what I accomplished though

G

So your sink use to be polished,now it is a brushed,ya where can I get this good stuff?Maybe right next to the goop at home depot.

G

they look maybe a little better there is a paste that will do the same thing waht are you gonna do pay the guy 1200 to tell you rub the sink its a lot simpler than that i think its junk.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Try steel wool for corners and odd edges. What does the paste smell like?. I got good results with brasso and assortment of floor pads. I think Fon mentioned the steel wool for deeper scratches.

Albert

I think it looks good. I know a lot of customers that would be really happy with those results. I just would get the customers to not expect it to be perfect and think many of them would be happy with that.
What is the going rate for this? I'm just curious to what you can charge? Could be a simple add on.

Mikey P said:
The sinks started out brushed and they look way better then "maybe a little" now..

No kidding WAAAY better I bet you could charge 200 for a repair like that, and what about stainless appliances or barbques.

R

Ramon Allones

1200 freeking dollars for the the class

bet you can buy what you need at Lowes

EL Guapo

Ramon

G

Mikey P said:
The sinks started out brushed and they look way better then "maybe a little" now..
Your right,the scratches are now more uniform :lol:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Scratch-B-gone said:
[quote="Mikey P":185k5gvj]The sinks started out brushed and they look way better then "maybe a little" now..

No kidding WAAAY better I bet you could charge 200 for a repair like that, and what about stainless appliances or barbques.[/quote:185k5gvj]

are you the guy that sells the stuff and class, Glenn?

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mikey P said:
Yes he is.

ahh

howdy Glenn, welcome

if it won't be giving away proprietary secrets, is the "cutting fluid" some kind of rubbing/lapping compound?

Yo vEEgs, you know i could make that sink BLING like one of my finely polished 1911s, right?

This one is so bright, you can not only shoot game on a deserted island , but signal boats and planes too!

Picture648.jpg

want to make your sink that way?
That sumbee will look like a mirror when I'm done.

You'll be able pluck your eye brows, tweeze your lashes, and put on your mascara in it :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Magic Al

Hi guys, Al Spaet here. As you probably know, I don't do carpets, just stone. 23 years. But I looked at this and thought it made a lot of sense.

So, I bought off on the $1,500 package. Still un-opened. Until tomorrow. First job is a cook top, refrigerator and a recessed oven.
$405. Plus extras.

BUT, I went through the training DVD's and the manual. Here's my take.

The absolute BEST training I have ever come across. I have been in the training business for 36 years, with Fortune 100 companies and my own. Nothing begins to touch this.

The DVD covers everything like you never did this before (and of course we have not), from how to stand, position of hands and feet, lighting angles, every detail to a fault. And, since different appliances require similar but slightly different approaches, each one is detailed on the DVD and in the manual. And since many of us (including myself), seldom read thru everything, if you jump to the particular appliance that you are going to restore, the training approaches that as if you hadn't properly read thru the training. So you are continually reminded of the importance of correct posture, etc.

Included in the manual is marketing tips as well. I think it was well worth every penny I spent.

And here's a last thought for now. The cc market is so overcrowded that it is pathetic. The stone market is getting jammed up with newbies who don't understand a lot of the nuances of the business and unfortunately are trying to do to pricing what the Stanley Steemers have done to carpet cleaning prices.

There is, as of now, virtually no one doing this in the entire country. And even though Scratch-B-Gone is going to be selling DIY kits, at least for my client base, that is not an option. Think about it. The person who has stainless either hates it now because they didn't know what a nightmare it was to maintain, or their maid screwed it up with Soft Scrub or a green pad or they burned the bar-be-cue to bits, etc., etc., etc..

These people are not going to do it themselves and the smart entrepreneur (you?) is going to jump on this and get in on the ground floor (pun intended) and make a name for himself.

See you at Mikefest.

Al

meAt said:
Mikey P said:
Yes he is.

ahh

howdy Glenn, welcome

if it won't be giving away proprietary secrets, is the "cutting fluid" some kind of rubbing/lapping compound?

Yo vEEgs, you know i could make that sink BLING like one of my finely polished 1911s, right?

This one is so bright, you can not only shoot game on a deserted island , but signal boats and planes too!

Picture648.jpg

want to make your sink that way?
That sumbee will look like a mirror when I'm done.

You'll be able pluck your eye brows, tweeze your lashes, and put on your mascara in it :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

This process is not a polish, instead it is the number one recommended solution for fixing scratches, scorch marks, stains, and even deep gauges, from stainless steel. The pads that come with the kit are made for us, using the same material as the big drum rollers used to grain the steel originally. The Ultra Shine, (which is the key to the process) is a lubricant for the pads, and most importantly an OXIDIZER, which blends the repair with the surrounding steel. Otherwise you would have to redo the entire surface, and it would still be too bright.
The SBG process is recommended by Bosch, Thermadore, Viking, Sub-Zero, Wolf, Gaggenau, Seimens, Whirlpool, Dacor, GE, Eurochef, Bull, Lynx, Grand-Turbo, Nexgrill, and more. The course was developed to allow someone with no knowledge of stainless, to become capable of charging hundreds of dollars for repairs. The manufacturers listed above wouldn't even consider sending us referrals for repairs like this, until we proved that the course was comprehensive. The Pro kit included with the course, has enough material for $5,000 to $7,000 dollars worth of repairs. Heres a quote from someone who took the course last month........

"Dear Barry and Ron, I wanted to thank you so much for the Scratch B Gone course. I have only had the course for a week and have already made enough to cover the cost of the course and put $300 in my pocket all from one job. A home remodelers crew had scratched every appliance in the kitchen. Sink from the tile installers, cook top from the granite installers and the refrigerator and ovens from the day to day activities. 6 appliances from one job. I absolutely love this course. In an economy like ours everyone is looking to save a buck and restoration is the answer. I cannot recommend this course enough. Stop thinking and purchase it. You will make your money back in no time. I look forward to your other restoration courses in the future.

Thanks, Derek (January, 2009) "

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I'm pretty open minded, but I ran a detail shop - You're telling me you can repair stainless without a welder or an angle orinder? :?:

No offense but I could have done that with Wenol and steel wool.

Not only can these repairs be done easily, but after you finish, if you apply the Ultra Shine it will stop a .22 caliber bullet from penetrating the skin of a refrigerator from 20 yards away!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
What kind of pricing structure is there with the jobs?

Sq inch pricing?

Time?

Or what ever the market will bare?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Walrus said:
What kind of pricing structure is there with the jobs?

Sq inch pricing?

Time?

Or what ever the market will bare?

Show me your doodies and I'll do it for free? :twisted:

You can do it yourself easily and unless you grind you can't get scratches out of metal - it's a friggin' metal polish.

Another way is to use a variable speed polisher with a wool polishing bonnet and Wenol. Steve Mathie has risen.

Magic Al

Sorry Bill,

You are all wrong. First of all, you can never, I repeat never, use any circular machine on stainless steel, no matter what.

Second of all, this system is not a polishing system. I left my camera at the shop today, but we did our first practice work today. A double sink and a paper towel holder. I will bring both to Mikefest next week. And try to post the pix here. Mikey, please help me with that, as I am not a propeller-head when it comes to posting pix.

We didn't spend as much time on the sink as we could have, as you will see how thrashed it was to begin with. If we finished it off, you would have called us liars and said we substituted a different sink.

And yes, you are scratching the metal. You are putting a new or restoring the old scratch pattern. Just like you do in wood and completely the opposite of what we do on stone.

And remember, when you are up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the objective was to drain the swamp! So remember that this is an incredible service to be offering to your clients. They can go to the market and rent one of those so-called carpet steam cleaners. But do they???? Not your customers.

And yes, they can buy a home owner DIY kit to do what we are going to do. But do you think they are going to ruin their manicure to do it? In Beverly Hills? Hillsborough? Manhattan? Louisiana? Oh puleeze. One of the hidden benefits of this system is that the secret ingredient is "elbow grease", which will preclude 100% of my customers from doing it!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Scratch-B-gone said:
, but after you finish, if you apply the Ultra Shine it will stop a .22 caliber bullet from penetrating the skin of a refrigerator from 20 yards away!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Glen
Mike's sink surely looks much better

let's see if i have a handle on it, you're sanding the contrary direction scratches out and getting them going in a uniform direction with the fine scratches (for lack of better term) of the finish ?

..L.T.A.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Magic Al said:
Sorry Bill,

You are all wrong. First of all, you can never, I repeat never, use any circular machine on stainless steel, no matter what.

Second of all, this system is not a polishing system. I left my camera at the shop today, but we did our first practice work today. A double sink and a paper towel holder. I will bring both to Mikefest next week. And try to post the pix here. Mikey, please help me with that, as I am not a propeller-head when it comes to posting pix.

We didn't spend as much time on the sink as we could have, as you will see how thrashed it was to begin with. If we finished it off, you would have called us liars and said we substituted a different sink.

And yes, you are scratching the metal. You are putting a new or restoring the old scratch pattern. Just like you do in wood and completely the opposite of what we do on stone.

And remember, when you are up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the objective was to drain the swamp! So remember that this is an incredible service to be offering to your clients. They can go to the market and rent one of those so-called carpet steam cleaners. But do they???? Not your customers.

And yes, they can buy a home owner DIY kit to do what we are going to do. But do you think they are going to ruin their manicure to do it? In Beverly Hills? Hillsborough? Manhattan? Louisiana? Oh puleeze. One of the hidden benefits of this system is that the secret ingredient is "elbow grease", which will preclude 100% of my customers from doing it!

Fair enough, but I'm going to post pics of elbow grease and Wenol.
DEEP scratches? I'm doubtful.

Rex Tyus

So if someone gets wild with the Viper Renew and etches the SS fridge Could you fix it with that?

Back
Top Bottom