First repairs

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
These are photos of some repairs from a trashed apartment about a mile from my home. I bid them cheap as I thought it would be some good practice as I could work unsupervised at my leisure. I had to pull donor pieces out of the closet that were not very worn and the repairs are in the main walkway and very worn. The repairs were laid with the pile direction of the areas with not much wear and I wonder if I should have laid them with the pile direction of the repair area as it seemed to have changed with the heavy wear.
DSCN1892.jpg

DSCN1893.jpg

DSCN1894.jpg

DSCN1895.jpg

DSCN1896.jpg

DSCN1897.jpg

DSCN1898.jpg

DSCN1899.jpg

DSCN1900.jpg

DSCN1901.jpg

DSCN1902.jpg

DSCN1903.jpg

DSCN1905.jpg

DSCN1907.jpg

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Looks good to me, given what you had to work with. Did you do the paper test for pile direction in the imediate area you were working in?

Did you make your own weights? If so out of what material?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Looks good....Take the clean piece and turn it upside down on the concrete drive way and scuff it up a bit and it will match the traffic area a little better...

harryhides

Name
Tony
Looks Good, you can also adjust the "look" of the new piece with some pumice stone. Also a light brushing with a light yellow crayon will also do wonders.

Stevea

Mikey makes a good point. If you can get to the back of the carpet, which this one or most apartments are easy to get to, you can easily cut an irregular shape and make it look very good. The eye tends to be drawn to straight lines more so than irregular line. Plus you can match the edges very well and manipulate the donor piece easier to make it fit almost perfect.

Keep practicing Doug, looks like great workmanship, great example to share with all of us.

SA

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
Shane, sorry for the delay on my weights. I just kind of copied what SA used in his class. I just bought some mild steel 4 1/2 X 7" or so and drilled and tapped some threads for the bolts to hold the handles. I polished mine up on my belt sander and sprayed some Boeshield T9 protector/lubricant on them to keep them from rusting. I also added some 1" thick plastic on them to keep the lubricant/protector off the carpet and cut some grooves on the bottom with my table saw to release heat. I don't think the plastic is necessary though. I think if you had them powder coated they would work just fine to pull the heat from the repair.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Nice Job!

You are smart to get some experience with low end rentals before trying a repair for a high end home with the customer watching.

G

Jim Martin said:
Looks good....Take the clean piece and turn it upside down on the concrete drive way and scuff it up a bit and it will match the traffic area a little better...
And throw a little dirt on it.Im not kidding

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom