First response to recently spilled BLACK nail polish?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
3yre4e8a.jpg

Customer spilled entire bottle of black nail polish just before I got here this morning. I have mostly Bridgepoint products and have a couple ideas of my own BUT.....what do you say? Thanks!

The Clean Machine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We use Proschoice products for that kind of spot and have had pretty good success. Pro solve gel works pretty good.

PROCEDURE:
Step 1. Apply Pro Solve Gel to deposit.
Step 2. Agitate gently to work gel into deposit.
Step 3. Apply more Pro Solve Gel to cover deposit.
Step 4. Allow 5-minute dwell time.
Step 5. Agitate gently to fully dissolve and suspend deposit.
Step 6. Hot water extraction rinse.
Step 7. Thoroughly blot dry.
Step 8. If a visible stain still exists apply a solution of Stain Magic to stained fibers only.
Step 9. Cover with lightweight terry cloth towel.
Step 10. Apply steam heat from steam iron set at low steam setting (approximately mid range) in 15-second intervals.
Step 11. Check progress periodically by peeking under towel.
Step 12. Remove heat when stain is gone or if carpet color loss is observed.

BUT as Ofer mentioned you might consider sectioning out the stain and replacing with carpet from the closet. It should be an easy fix with that type of construction. The black polish on white may not come out completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Since you said Bridgepoint,

I would use All-Solv aerosol to remove the bulk of it.

Then for the remaining discoloration,

I would try a reducing "Dye Stain Remover" like our Dynachem brand.

If that is not successful, then I would try a strong oxidizer with a UV light.

Larry

Reactions: Russ T.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
We use Proschoice products for that kind of spot and have had pretty good success. Pro solve gel works pretty good.

PROCEDURE:
Step 1. Apply Pro Solve Gel to deposit.
Step 2. Agitate gently to work gel into deposit.
Step 3. Apply more Pro Solve Gel to cover deposit.
Step 4. Allow 5-minute dwell time.
Step 5. Agitate gently to fully dissolve and suspend deposit.
Step 6. Hot water extraction rinse.
Step 7. Thoroughly blot dry.
Step 8. If a visible stain still exists apply a solution of Stain Magic to stained fibers only.
Step 9. Cover with lightweight terry cloth towel.
Step 10. Apply steam heat from steam iron set at low steam setting (approximately mid range) in 15-second intervals.
Step 11. Check progress periodically by peeking under towel.
Step 12. Remove heat when stain is gone or if carpet color loss is observed.

BUT as Ofer mentioned you might consider sectioning out the stain and replacing with carpet from the closet. It should be an easy fix with that type of construction. The black polish on white may not come out completely.

Stain Magic and heat is a guaranteed way to lighten the carpet. It always go with Red Relief to remove any left over pigment.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
It was still pretty bad when I was done. Luckily it was in the master closet. I cleaned several apartments after her so was able to leave some fans behind to promote drying. She dropped them off with a check @ an hour ago and said she was very happy despite the limited success with the nail polish. It's all about managing those expectations. Thanks for the help guys.

The Clean Machine

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
You might do well to go by a chemical or laboratory supplier and buy some amyl acetate. It is sometimes called "banana oil" but it is not sourced from bananas.

It works well for neon nail lacquers.

Grant

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I very much doubt that this level of spill would come out regardless of patience.

It is in the glue layer and backing of carpet. It penetrated fiber deep inside and possible hardened.

Using those solvents will dissolve it (you'd be able to remove some) and further send pigments throughout fiber, backing and enable it to further penetrate into dye sites.
The abundance of solvent needed for that quantity of spill will eventually delaminate the glue layer, fray the fabric, lighten it and still at best leave a black shade.

Which in turn will still require heat transfer to an already damaged fabric that will create its own issues.

Invest your time where you clients money will be best served.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I guess I'm too persistant. Truely believe I'd have got it all out without delaminating anything.

I'd have killed a couple of white towels and a qt of acetone.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
It was still pretty bad when I was done. Luckily it was in the master closet. I cleaned several apartments after her so was able to leave some fans behind to promote drying. She dropped them off with a check @ an hour ago and said she was very happy despite the limited success with the nail polish. It's all about managing those expectations. Thanks for the help guys.

The Clean Machine

Nice Job though Russ. Definitely a difficult one. Managing the expectations is an important part to a lot of our success at times.

Mark Saiger

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Ive been cleaning since 1999 I still cant get paint out. It shows you how shady all the distributors and chemical sales people are. They all sell paint removers and none of them work. Trust me Ive tried them all.

Golden Boy

Reactions: GeeeAus

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
This case was really hard because there was SO MUCH of it. I would treat it, it would dissolve some, and a lot of it would be driven deeper into the carpet. I knew what she expected for the $ she wanted to pay before I began so both of us were happy. They celebrated Thanksgiving at her house yesterday and the place looked and smelled great...except the master closet. Hopefully I gained another loyal customer who will spread the word. It has become my practice to do a thorough walk through, including all measurements, before beginning a resi job. It gives me the chance to discuss problem areas and give the customer the price before I start. They seem to like our up front approach.

The Clean Machine

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Ive been cleaning since 1999 I still cant get paint out. It shows you how shady all the distributors and chemical sales people are. They all sell paint removers and none of them work. Trust me Ive tried them all.

Golden Boy

Guess you'll have to head to Lowes then : )

Think outside the box !

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

Golden Boy

Seriously the best paint remover we have found! I have passed this on to other local cleaners in the area as well. It is a bit spendy, but it works and will go a long way. We will never be without it at this point.
Quest Graffiti Gone in a spray can

http://www.logisticssupply.com/Facility_Maintenance/Quest_Chemical/Cleaning_Aids/221001QC

Mark Saiger

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Last edited:

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree

Golden Boy

Ya I got a whole bunch of magic potions that I would not give 2 cents for LOL It does seem weird that so many people are always looking for something that works or is the best at what it is designed for. :icon_rolleyes:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb

Mark;

We sell a grafitti remover in an aerosol also (~$8).

It is similar to the All-Solv I recommended above.

It works well on Chinese furniture stains, and some inks.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=2901

We do include it in our professional spotting kit.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Saiger

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I was embarrassed and ashamed at the results ;-).

The Clean Machine

I am Impressed and see this as HUGE Character, can't wait to meet ya at MF : )

Get ya a chunck of carpet, some nail polish and go to town on it. After that post, I know your gonna win the next one.

There is simple stuff you can ususally pick up locally. Like Wink

Chris

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock

Golden Boy

G'day there Waldo.

I find I do better with paint using odourless mineral spirits or shellite. if it is just a few drops at the perimeter of the room where renovations have been handled carelessly I like to chip and scratch the pain from the fibres with my Leatherman pocket knife, then the removed bits just come up with the Kirby during vacuuming.

A little citrus and isopropyl alcohol in the pre-spray softens the remainder up pretty good.

Grant

Lonny

Supportive Member
My wife dumped a bottle of black nail polish on our carpet, granted it is nylon, off white color, but it came out pretty well with Dynachem's POG. Can't tell it was ever there really.

hogjowl

Idiot™
My problem with stuff like this is the time involved. It can take quite awhile to completely remove stains like this. Once you tell a lady she's probably going to have to pay anywhere from $150 to $300 dollars to have it gone, and even then there's no guarantee, I can't see many people being willing to take that gamble.

And, I'm really not into spending a lot of time on a job, with a customer who may not be happy with the results, without getting paid my hourly rate.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree, we've quoted $350.00 and called a crew in on a weekend.

Sent them out, they spent a 90-minutes working on it and the client was not thrilled with the 95% improvement. Green nail polish on white carpet, Looked pretty good from the pictures I saw but some people expect miracles even after we explain the limitations.

It's a no win situation. If we don't go out, they think we don't care. When we do go out and it isn't 100% they think they overpaid. :errf:

Lonny

Supportive Member
Amen to that. I had a lady spill out a fairly large bottle of blue tempura paint(no tempura does NOT mean temporary as she thought). I spent two hours on the crap, it never came out 100%, and she has never called back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom