First trouble with my Cleanco

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
When I fired it up late yesterday afternoon, it wouldn't go to full RPMs on the "carpet" setting. I talked to the guy from Cleanco and he said to check the (modulator or something?) device down near my e brake. Sure enough, a wire had come loose (orange wire to RPM1). I plugged it back in and it helped a bit. It is still not consistent. I ended up cleaning 2 apartments on the "upholstery" setting. It worked okay but obviously need to come up with a solution. Any guesses? Time for that trip to KC?

The Clean Machine

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Oh man, wish I was closer.

Check yur belt tensioners !

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Reactions: Russ T.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
If something got tangled up in the orange wire to pull it loose, maybe the wiring was damaged? One thing you could try (temporarily) would be to swap the RPM1 (orange) and RPM2 (blue) wires on the module. This would make your switch operate backwards (Carpet position would now be Upholstery, and vice-versa) but the Carpet mode would now use the blue wire to communicate with the module instead of the orange. If Carpet mode works this way, then look for a problem with the orange wire.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
If something got tangled up in the orange wire to pull it loose, maybe the wiring was damaged? One thing you could try (temporarily) would be to swap the RPM1 (orange) and RPM2 (blue) wires on the module. This would make your switch operate backwards (Carpet position would now be Upholstery, and vice-versa) but the Carpet mode would now use the blue wire to communicate with the module instead of the orange. If Carpet mode works this way, then look for a problem with the orange wire.

Thanks Dan. That's a great idea. I must have have kicked some wires or something. I have a slow day today and should be able to check it out. I scheduled a tune up in KC for Tuesday. Going to do belts, fluids. Anything else to check while I'm there, it's 3 hours away and I don't want to make a lot of trips...maybe once a year.

Machine had @ 1500 hours on it when I bought it and I don't know how it was cared for. It's at about 1800 hours now and I want to get it to "fighting shape". Great machine so far....if you don't kick wires and stuff. ;-)

The Clean Machine

Name
Jesse
I'm not familiar with the computer controlled pto's so my advice may not help.

When we have a throttle related issue we use a 1.5" tube edging wand to push the gas pedal. We run it through the large opening on the steering wheel. The rubber steering wheel holds it from slipping. Last Sunday we had a truck run that way for 6 hours without needing any further rpm adjustments.

Reactions: GCCLee

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I'm not familiar with the computer controlled pto's so my advice may not help.

When we have a throttle related issue we use a 1.5" tube edging wand to push the gas pedal. We run it through the large opening on the steering wheel. The rubber steering wheel holds it from slipping. Last Sunday we had a truck run that way for 6 hours without needing any further rpm adjustments.

Uh huh uh Hun, an dats da way we like it : )

Fun pokin at the fast pedal when it runin huh? Vrrrrmm Vrrrrrmmm : )

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
a tweak on that idea would be to use a threaded rod and a bracket to brace it . You could adjust it fairly readily...if it was needed

my friend's Cleanco was acting up, the RPM's would suddenly drop down as if the high rpm button was turned off.
With the machine turned totally off, it would increase rpm for 20-30secs and then idle down again.
No reason found. Ghosts in the machine

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
a tweak on that idea would be to use a threaded rod and a bracket to brace it . You could adjust it fairly readily...if it was needed

my friend's Cleanco was acting up, the RPM's would suddenly drop down as if the high rpm button was turned off.
With the machine turned totally off, it would increase rpm for 20-30secs and then idle down again.
No reason found. Ghosts in the machine

Hey wait a minute!
Last week i had this cause my high speed to act up. I even called Jim Martin about it.

agy8avyg.jpg

Have ya checked yur hoses fur hairballs? Had a bobby pin stand up in the hose and it caused all kinds a wierdness. When i removed it I had to turn the truck back down a lil from monkeying w it.

Don furget to check all yur belt tensions.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks Chris. It revs fine on the upholstery setting so I don't think that's it. I think it must be electrical (wiring). I kicked the module(?) or wiring causing the RPM1 wire to come totally disconnected. I plugged it back in but can't help but think it's loose elsewhere too. I looked under the hood while on a job but didn't get too involved with it. I don't think it's major and it's time for a little Cleanco 101 down in KC anyway.

I too wish I had you or Jim or Saiger close by to ask for occasional help. The Kid has been a lone ranger for a looooong time.

Can you think of any other things to check while I'm down there? Maybe a short list? I'm not trying to spend a fortune fixing things that aren't broken.

Thanks again.

The Clean Machine

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Check the clutch too.

I was running too high of a lift.

Also keep in mind those serpentines do need to be replaced and it's far cheaper to replace them yourself for $50 than have a dist do it for easily twice that much.

Reactions: GCCLee and Russ T.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Have em inspect anything that moves!
And make them let you get in there so the tech can show you some tips n tricks hands on.

Mine was running faster on uph setting when I made the call.
Gremlins are cool, if you can teach em manners bro!

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think I'm going to go ahead and do the serpentine belt. I don't know how diligent the previous owner was with maintenance.

There's a belt around the clutch too. It looks newer but who knows? Should I have that changed too?

If I am to plan on making 1 yearly trip to KC, what should I have them do during these trips to keep the Kid going strong? Thanks.

The Clean Machine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Probably a good idea to replace the belts but you don't need a TM mechanic to do that. You can have your local garage do that for you and it might be cheaper than the distributor. Less time there also. I'd let them know your issues so they will be sure to have the parts on hand ready for you.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I think I'm going to go ahead and do the serpentine belt. I don't know how diligent the previous owner was with maintenance.

There's a belt around the clutch too. It looks newer but who knows? Should I have that changed too?

If I am to plan on making 1 yearly trip to KC, what should I have them do during these trips to keep the Kid going strong? Thanks.

The Clean Machine

Hey Billy, it's so easy to change the serp-belt .. I've done it by myself and I'm no mechanic .. take your wrench (longer the handle - easier to push) to the tensioner and heave .. the belt should fall off at that point .. make sure you have your diagram of how it goes back on .. and the part store will need the actual number on the belt cause they will pull the original belt according to specs which will be shorter

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Where Jimmy?

The Clean Machine

Napa

Advance can get green but they aren't gates greens, i run them.

I found a clutch n compressor shop on accident here yesterday. And to think Ive driven by it for years : )

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

The Clean Machine

Hey Russ,

Not sure if the new cleanco's are similar to the Butlers, but the Butlers have a 2 belt drive in the front to run the drive shaft and they will also wear down and loose RPM, but also, they have a lower aluminum pulley that over time will wear grooves in it and start to wear out the belts faster. That pulley can get sharp also so if so, be careful! It would be on the front of the crankshaft on the Butlers.

We replace the belts on the front of the vans every year. We also carry a full set of belts for the Butler units water pump and blower as well as the 2 belts for the front of the van/Butler.

Best wishes Buddy!

Mark

Reactions: GCCLee and Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I think it's probably wise to go ahead and make that trip to KC on Tuesday. Carl at Full Circle is the one who will be going through it with me. They installed my machine in '10 and should be able to give me a little education on it. I hope not to make many trips but need to have some peace of mind with our (hopefully) busiest season approaching.

The Clean Machine

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Ever see the movie Road Trip ?

: )

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Hey Rusty - how was your trip .. did ya learn a thing or two .. was there anything wrong with the machine ..

On my way to KC now, scheduling conflict yesterday. Thanks for checking. I'll definitely report back.

Hopefully a little Cleanco 101 will make this system seem a little less magical...

7y2e8e4e.jpg

The Clean Machine

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
On my way to KC now, scheduling conflict yesterday. Thanks for checking. I'll definitely report back.

Hopefully a little Cleanco 101 will make this system seem a little less magical...

7y2e8e4e.jpg

The Clean Machine

So that's what a road looks like again with no ice and snow.....

Can only hope for that here someday!

This dang winter!

PS: you might be a slight bit over the speed limit....LOL :icon_razz:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Well, I made it back from Full Circle in KC. The Compact 47 seems a little less magical to me after having Carl go through it with me.

My major concern was that variation in RPM's while on the "Carpet" or high setting. I had a wire come loose from the module under the steering column last week. I plugged it back into the wrong position and it didn't act right since. I had to clean a few jobs on the "upholstery" setting which wasn't ideal but I worked through it. Carl corrected that wiring issue and it was back to normal.

He showed me how to change pump and blower oil. It's really easy on these units. I don't think it's the piece of cake that the Butlers are but pretty close. A couple quick connects give you easy access.

He inspected each of the 5 belts (2 serpentine under the hood, 2 blower, 1 pump) and instructed me to keep rolling. He said they looked fine and not to worry so much (man can I worry). Carl gave me a special tool to use in the future when I replace my blower belts. He showed me how to do it when he adjusted them to proper tension.

He put a laser on the shaft to make sure everything was level and running smooth. It was.

He greased the drive shaft in the front and back. The zerk under the hood is impossible to reach unless you remove the assembly that holds the air filter, then it's easy. He said this is unique to the Ford/Cleanco system. These (2) are the ONLY grease points on my system. There is nothing to grease on my Roots 47 blower.

He put a load on the blower and adjusted the module under the steering column to specs for the "carpet" setting and also the "upholstery" setting.

It was a good trip. I talked to my boy Chris, Ladwig hollered at me, and another one of my peeps from Iowa City called too. I can't remember his name...started with an "R" but can't remember. I really do appreciate the wacky community we have going on here. It makes these solo missions seem not quite so.....solo.

The Clean Machine

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Oh, and when I got home I had 500 rounds of 9 mm practice ammo waiting for me. I think Ill find time tomorrow to throw some lead down range! Mel and the boys are out of town and it's supposed to be almost 60 here :-).

The Clean Machine

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Man, I so need a handsfree so I can talk while I work. That first place was absolutely nasty!

Did he show YOU How to make the module adjustment?

Glad he gave you the tool, you should be set now. Getcha a lazer an shoot it yurself next time. I have not lazered mine : ( batteries still ded from when the dog was little : )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom