Flame Throwing PTO

Rex Tyus

OK, finally fired up the after burner I got from Greenie back in the spring.
I have no numbers to post as it was a crude quick redneck install. It is a true post system burner at this point. No gauges as of yet. I will improve the positioning and set up take pictures and post later. But for now I must say for all those that said heat don't matter, has never cleaned with it.

I am way happy. :D :D

TimP

After you clean some rugs I want to know what you think about it. Or have you cleaned some to test it out? Also I think a lot of us would like to know what kind of LP usage you see being a post heater. I really need to come see it in action though to see what real heat looks like being used. Have you modified it to go over 220-230 or did you just leave it at the max factory setting?

Rex Tyus

Have you modified it to go over 220-230 or did you just leave it at the max factory setting?

:twisted: :twisted: :wink:

As I have said I don't have a temp guage in line yet. But I can maintain live steam much longer than I thought possible. :shock: I also cooked a few check valves today. They were pretty well used anyway. Just didn't show up before the steam streamed through them.

TimP

don't get too crazy you'll be blowing through solution hose next

Name
Jesse
Buy a lie detector, crank it up and test it at different pressures with different flow requirements and pauses to make sure you don't spike higher than you want to.

Carry extra quick connects and ball valves. We have spare ball vales with qd's ready to go.

With a 3ht run between 250-265 with inlet temps between 160-190 expect to burn .15 and .25 gallons of LP per hour.

Rex Tyus

With a 3ht run between 250-265 with inlet temps between 160-190 expect to burn .15 and .25 gallons of LP per hour.

Thanks! That is good info. I will probably try to keep my temps around 240. I still want to be able to use my hydra force. :D I am going to get a lie detector. Never wanted one before....to depressing :oops: . But now... I actually would like to know what my temps are 8) .

G

So, you've installed a post heater that heats the water after the heat exchanger?

How hot do most heat exchangers get??

Rex Tyus

Yes I have.

I don't know the average temp for heat exchangers nationally. Mine however is a fluid transfer exchanger and gets to 190 on a good day. Thus the need to crank it up.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I had a spitfire that would operate between 190-200 depending on the conditions. I added a 2HT, and the first week I burned up stairwand valve, and my PC valve....heat is good, you just have to control it. I ran mine at about 250-270 most of the time. Good range for me.

Farenheit251

I had a very similar setup for several years. White Magic pto w/56 blower and a #2 little giant. Propane went a long way. Set off a lot of smoke detectors. 250-260 would actually scare me when I cleaned with a pmf or aw 29 wand. With a Greenhorn I hardly notice how hot it is. Did notice last nite when I wore my old shoe with a hole in the top. Valve was leaking w/ 270 atm and somehow I managed to hold it right above the hole. Damn that hurt.

Rex Tyus

After realizing (finally) how simple the set up is I am surprised it isn't more common.

Farenheit251

I hooked mine up w/ quick disconnects so I could unconnect the hoses and hook them together bypassing the heater when I needed high psi for tile.

Rex Tyus

Modest update. Heat is sweet. :D I have to be careful or all I get is steam vapor out of my hydoforce though. I am using much less prespray and appear to be getting better results. Next week I will finish all the realignments and take some readings and some pics. As far as fuel consumption I have failed miserably to get any kind of Idea. I will say when dual wanding in a 6000 sf open area the bottom of the propane tank started to frost. :shock: I am thinking heavy consumption during that time.

TimP

You might need two tanks, or increased flow to take care of that....different regulator? All I know is frosting probably isn't right. But it's probably awesome being able to dual wand with heat with that Cleanco.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
hummm you shouldnt frost in FL...also are you just running a little giant?? is it a 3 or a 4??

mine (180/360,000 btu) is frosting more now that its cold out...

Rex Tyus

Yes little giant 3ht. Don't forget I was dual wanding with Greenhorns and hydro force with the super soaker tips. In other words pretty high water flow and consistent demand.

Rex Tyus

Nope, used the two 802's with stock heat (or the lack there of) Couldn't use the 16" wands I have because the carpet is gluedown. Didn't have the super soaker tips for the hydro force either.

This time real heat, 2 Greenhorns, hydro's screaming with the super soaker tip, 2.5" hose. Life is good.

TimP

You just about have a vortex now don't ya. If they get you a better clutch for that pto you'd be in business. Sounds pretty awesome!!! I guess you can see how a vortex can be worth it if you got the work.

Greenie

Rex Tyus said:
Nope, used the two 802's with stock heat (or the lack there of) Couldn't use the 16" wands I have because the carpet is gluedown.

Lots of guys ask why not use a 16" on commercial, I think the uneven flooring is more common than some guys realize on these big jobs, it's hard to worry about it though when you are just trying to knock out the job and still walk the next day...so we see more wet carpet than necessary..and potential problems

Rex Tyus said:
This time real heat, 2 Greenhorns, hydro's screaming with the super soaker tip, 2.5" hose. Life is good.

Time is money!
[/quote]

Farenheit251

How did you get the tip to fit on your hydroforce. The white ones I saw at tractor supply store appeared to have wider threads than my hydroforce gun tip?

Rex Tyus

How did you get the tip to fit on your hydroforce. The white ones I saw at tractor supply store appeared to have wider threads than my hydroforce gun tip?

It is a 1/4" pressure washer quick connector. Unscrew the factory tip from the hydro, screw on the quick connector and you will need a 4.5 gph white nozzle tip. There are many gph variations. The only size I could get to work with any consistency is the 4.5gph (this is really important). You will also probably need to remove the dilution tip as the back pressure on the white nozzle tip is higher than the standard hydroforce tip. Test this for yourself to find your actual dilution before you use it on the first job. It will vary some from unit to unit. Hope this helps. It takes some practice and it is not for every situation, but when it is the right one it is the right one. :D

Back
Top Bottom