Floor Finish that WILL NOT STRIP

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Floor Finish that WILL NOT STRIP

We did a VCT job last night that made me feel like a hack. There was moderately heavy buildup and the finish had yellowed. I have run into heavy buildup before that required extra labor but this was something else. The stripper would not emulsify the finish at all. It was not even slippery. I even tried ammonia on a small area, nothing. It only softened the finish a bit and what did come off quickly gummed up the pad. I tried to explain to the customer that we did the best we could in the time frame we had to work on it. I told them it would need scraped off with razors and other aggressive methods which I was not prepared for.

What kind of floor finish would cause this?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Poly huh :x . Like someone just bought poly floor finish designed for hardwood and rolled it on?
I want to track down the SOB and make them help me blade that shit off.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
rwcarpet said:
Might be a good job for a Square Scrub??

I was just thinking that.
If I have another go at it I will: strip, flood, blade, scrub, extract then I might have to screen / sand some spots.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ACE said:
Poly huh :x . Like someone just bought poly floor finish designed for hardwood and rolled it on?
I want to track down the SOB and make them help me blade that shit off.

if the guy who ever did that to floors i do came in...i may very well be in jail... typing this:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :x :x :x :x

chadb

I did a job like this last year. Worked on it for an entire weekend, scraping, scrubbing, tried everything. Looked horrible. Left all kind of old wax but just had to wax over it because like you, i just ran out of time. They actually hired me again this year for some reason and i ordered betco extreme stripper from jondon. got up every bit of wax and floor looked like new. This is some good stripper. A little pricey, especially with shipping but was well worth it after the heck i went through the first time. Good Luck

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
dealtimeman said:
Did the finish turn milky white?
NO

They guy there said he has a container of what was used last time. I'm going to find out what it is.

Connor

Name
Connor
Did you try dimming the lights, playing loud music and throwing some dollar bills at it?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mike;

There are some seal strippers designed for polyurethane . . .

but it is still a labor-intensive job (odor not bad).

If you are going to attempt that type of job,

I can get you a 16 oz. bottle to test.

Larry

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
Jasco will take it right up. You just will have to wear a respirator and the place will stink for a week. Neighborhood animals will probably die and someone will get cancer. Sounds like fun.

Or you could always use a soy stripper also. But that takes a long time and has to be covered. have no idea what either one will do to the VCT either.

Poly sucks. Makes me want to punch people in the face.

I have had two jobs in the last year where someone put polly on top of ceramic cause Home Depot told them it would make there floor SHINY!!!!!

I hate home depot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom