Floor stripping from glue down carpet

Rob Coats

Name
Rob Coats
I am bidding the stripping of VCT that has glue down carpet adhesive and ink stains from the carpet tiles that were on it for years. HELP!
The current janitor gave up on it. I am guessing that a standard strip would remove it, assisted by scrapers, but not sure of the best chemicals to use ... or if it's even possible.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Will they pay you to try? I don't think I'd bid the job without knowing what would work or if the finished appearance would be acceptable.

Glue down adhesive usually requires a product akin to paint remover and a long dwell time. That's to remove it from concrete or tile, not sure what that chemistry would do to vinyl.

If the ink doesn't wipe off with iso or acetone it's probably soaked in.

Unless the ink/glue is just in a few small areas, replacing the vinyl might be the better option.

Mikey P

Administrator
I am bidding the stripping of VCT that has glue down carpet adhesive and ink stains from the carpet tiles that were on it for years. HELP!
The current janitor gave up on it. I am guessing that a standard strip would remove it, assisted by scrapers, but not sure of the best chemicals to use ... or if it's even possible.
I would offer to come up and help but, I wont...yikes

VCT stripper will not remove carpet adhesive.

Rob Coats

Name
Rob Coats
In shopping for a good stripper I saw the comment that the stripper cut the adhesive fast and required only a quick mop to remove.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Wrong!!!! Stripper emulsifies finish, but not glue. Even the hottest stripper will not do it. A scraper will literally whip it off. I’ve done it many times on vct, terrazzo and such that has carpet laid over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
In shopping for a good stripper I saw the comment that the stripper cut the adhesive fast and required only a quick mop to remove.
Let me sell you some snake oil. Doesn't , won't and can't cut through glue. Ever, Period, End of story. Put on your best sneakers and a track suit and RUN! RUN FAST AND RUN HARD! RUN LIKE HELL! JUST RUN!

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
If I knew how to post videos like Saiger, I have a video showing me pulling carpet with a winch then scraping the carpet that wouldn’t come loose. The scrap away will remove residual carpet and glue.

Reactions: Fat Mike

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
If I knew how to post videos like Saiger, I have a video showing me pulling carpet with a winch then scraping the carpet that wouldn’t come loose. The scrap away will remove residual carpet and glue.
The winch is a good idea. Still sounds like no fun!

what was the wench’s name

• Haha
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I think lowes sells that adhesive stripper remover, but it’s more of a thick gel liquid that comes in a metal container. You have to apply it, and lay a plastic over it to keep it from drying and preventing anyone from suffocating.

The cost and labor to do that is probably the same as removing the tile snd installing new VCT

I WOULD RUN.

You didn’t get in this business for these kind of headache jobs

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Research this stuff. I don’t know if it’s safe to apply on the floor you’re working on, but it’s a starting point

FFA96810-D91E-4F72-B1A8-F292F114D42B.jpeg

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
I think if you’re going to try to preserve the existing floor you’ll have to scrape like mentioned above.

saturating a floor that is also a glue down with adhesive remover is going to result in delamination somewhere

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Rob Coats

Name
Rob Coats
Research this stuff. I don’t know if it’s safe to apply on the floor you’re working on, but it’s a starting point

View attachment 111073
Thanks for the lead. Many reviews say it doesn't work, but some say it's amazing. Formula 747 is more aggressive it seems. But nearly all reviews are for removing adhesive from concrete flooring and I am using it on VCT. I am thinking that it'll work and any that gets in between the tiles will dry and hopefully doesn't become a problem.
Next, I need to remove the ink "3M" labeling that bled into the VCT from the carpet tiles. If it doesn't come out with the stripper then ProChem Ink remover?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Rob Coats

Name
Rob Coats
Wrong!!!! Stripper emulsifies finish, but not glue. Even the hottest stripper will not do it. A scraper will literally whip it off. I’ve done it many times on vct, terrazzo and such that has carpet laid over it.
Thanks. I found a couple of scrape-aways and a bit pricey. Hard to believe it doesn't scratch or gouge the VCT.

Last edited:

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Me too! I’ve done quite a few of these because a lot customers know I can. I certainly wouldn’t do Any in general.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom