Flow meter settings and size of solution juggs

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I'm always wondering if my flow meter is working the way it should. The other day I did a job and I set the flow at 3 gph. Halfway into the job I checked the content of the 5 gal solution jug and it wasn't visibly emptier.So I upped the mixture to get more rinsing solution into the water.It made a little bit of difference.I check the ratio with the mix tank empty and get a solid reading while it refills.So when I can see the little ball float and stay around 3 or 4 gph that must mean that the solution gets into the mix tank,right? The adjustment is very touchy. 1/16th of a turn and I'm already at 4 gph. Is this normal? Is it possible that the meter shows flow but is inaccurate?
So at 4 gph how many normal sized homes should I be able to do with one 5 gal jug?
I'm not very busy yet and I'm wondering if I should not use a smaller jug so that I don't have so much solution left over.I hesitate to use old solution because I'm not sure if once mixed, the solution has a limited shelf life.
How long can I store premixed solution before it goes bad?
And if it does not loose it's effectiveness, I could save time and the trouble of mixing the stuff on location by having a few 1 gal jugs premixed. Some basic solutions to which I could add a few extra goodies depending on the job. Does that sound like a good idea?

John Watson

Roxy, I use a 2 1/2 gal jug for my rinse, we set our flow meter to 1 1/2-2. I mix my rinse at 8oz (1 cup) to 2.5 gal. water. this normaly lasts about 4-5 hrs or all day of cleaning. If you held your spray wide open at a #4 setting you should use 4 gal per hour, But since we alternate betwee wet and dry strokes it should last you 6-8 hrs depending how much you squeeze your trigger. sometimes when our flow meter seems a little to touchy we have got an air bubble in it. I just open knob while having the trigger pulled or have my fill hose connected to the pressure line QC and the fluid going back in the rinse jug so the flow ball runs at 10 for a bit to clear all air from system..

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
an' check your footvalve to be sure you don't have a backflow back into your solution jug

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
John Watson said:
I just open knob while having the trigger pulled or have my fill hose connected to the pressure line QC and the fluid going back in the rinse jug so the flow ball runs at 10 for a bit to clear all air from system..
Thanks John,
I understand all of what you said except the last bit, but it seems that everything is as it should be. It's actually good that a couple of gallons of solution last all day.
Less cost for me, more money in my pocket right? I'll look for the 2 1/2 gal jugs.
By the way I had to change out the valve on the wand I got from you it was stuck in the on position. I used it on my first job. It works great, big improvement from the one I had. Thanks

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
the footvalve is on the end of the line that goes into the jug...if you don't have one...when you let off the trigger....
the solution in the line will drain back into the jug and it will seem as though yor not using as much........

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Thanks for clarifying that. I have a foot valve in my solution jug. I blew into it and there doesn't seem to be an obstruction so I guess it is OK.So it is a one way valve, I did not know that. I thought it was just a screen.
There's another filter i just learned about, which is right where the freshwater and the solution merge to go into the mix tank. It was really difficult to get a wrench into the space to remove the filter but I got it and that screen is clear also.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
if you could blow into it....
it's NOT working right...it only sucks.....

THERES YOR PROBLEM!

twist it apart...
and clean out the little white ball and spring.......OHH
an' put a metal washer on the line for weight so it'll STAY at the bottom of the jug!

an' yous all thought i was jus another purty face........ :lol:

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I blew into it the same direction as the solution flows.In other words I took the line with the foot valve out of the jug and blew air into the valve going throught the line, which then came out in the mix tank. Is that not the direction in which it is supposed to let air through?
I will open the valve up to check it out just in case, but I don't want to break it. Can I just clamp the top end of the valve and then twist the bottom part where the screen is open, with the clear hose still attached or do I need to take the valve off the hose prior to opening it?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
you CAN'T blow that way...you'd have to put the whole damn valve in yor mouf...and it STILL wouldn't be right....
take the footvalve off the line and SUCK......(it should work!)
Then BLOW...and it WON'T....
it's a one way valve and you're checking it the WRONG way...........

HINT:instead of forcing the footvalve onto the white tec line....take a small piece of rubber hose that will fit onto the footvalve and slide it onto the white tec line.....

to let air through
Air should NEVER go thru that line...if you get air bubbles thru the Dywers..
you have a problem......

Back
Top Bottom