flow

Name
Ron lippold
what flow are you guys running? have you ever played with jets? I can run 290 all day with 6 flow but my sweet spot is 24 flow at 220 degrees at 750 psi at the machine nets me 600 psi with the wand keyed.

i have found that the flow cleans way better than extreme heat.

So what am i the only one that likes alot of water?

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I'm running 20flow @600psi right now. Heat is not an issue with th el diablo. I really like the way it flushes the carpet!

Name
Jesse
Ron I was just going to ask you about your pressure drops when keying the wand.

We run 24, 20, & 18 flow wands. Our machines have to be set at 800psi to get 600psi triggered. We keep 240-260 ATM but it requires 2 coolant exchangers and a 3ht to keep up with 2.5gpm.

I put 2 04 jets on my turbo and the pressure drops from 1000 to 600. If I wire the turbo's trigger on I can then turn up the pressure to 900 but that's all she'll do.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

I think the flow you are operating at should do a great job.

Most TM's will not produce that much temperature at that water flow,

but Heat Exchangers are more efficient at hi-flow rates.

Therefore, you will clean with more BTU's, even though the temp is less.

Larry

Greenie

Ron Lippold said:
So why am i the only one that likes alot of water?

Simple....you are NOT the only one....lol

Just part of a minority that is growing. Only limit? HX technology, hence the reason Fuel Burners are coming back, not going away.

You guys do realize, here in this pocket internet universe, common speak like: 20 flow at 200 deg. @ 600psi is actually Greek for most of the carpet cleaning world. But...it won't always be so.

10 years from now you'll be looking back and sounding like one of those old Steamway farts that talks about how he wrangled 2.5" vac hose and was ahead of his time with 3/8" sol. line....cause he was, just todays hose is lighter, more flexible etc...and it's able to be mainstream with a little innovation and a little faith that it could be done...and a few dollars.

Same goes for tools, trucks, chems etc...

Flow trumps high heat with the rare exception of the grease pit on low nap carpet, but high flow and high heat and moderately high pressure is: Carpet cleaning Nirvana on a 400' hose run, guys like Jess E are leading the way with hybrid truckmonts.

You guys are writing history, and the modern world will follow.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

I have a TM that can supply your "hi-flow" water requirements:

aircrafttm.jpg

Larry

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Ron Lippold said:
what flow are you guys running? have you ever played with jets? I can run 290 all day with 6 flow but my sweet spot is 24 flow at 220 degrees at 750 psi at the machine nets me 600 psi with the wand keyed.

You could run 290 with what kind of hose?

rick imby

Name
Rick
Ron Lippold said:

Funny how someone discovered High Flow a long time ago Here is a quote from their website

"t was there while working in the family business in the early 1990's that Mike began working on ways to improve the performance of their company's steam machine, the Steri-Steam. He first redesigned and improved the vacuum system and then he added a unique on board pre-spray system. Later he began experimenting with increased water-flow rates and found that a higher flow rate substantially increased the amount of soil removal and significantly improved the over all performance of the machine. He then applied for and received an exclusive patent for his high-flow concept and it was soon after, the Steamin Demon Company was born." ---1995

You are only a few years behind the high flow.---Rick

Couer d'Alene Carpet Cleaning Eugene Carpet Cleaning Carpet Cleaning

Greenie

It's nothing against Mike and the Demon, he got the patent, everyone wishes him well, but i was specifically addressing truckmounted high flow with heat.

Folks hooked to utility sinks for pressure and flow 40 years ago, beat the hell out of the pump technology avail. at the time if you think about it.

As for TMs, it was Steamway that claimed 2.1 gpm at very high temps some 30 years ago.

Is anything really new?

Name
Ron lippold
jess im running a 6.5 gpm pump but she will only go to 1250psi i set her for carpets at 750 to maintain 600 or so psi when the wand is keyed. on tile i will crank her up to 1100 or so depending.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
just went to 8 flow from 6. I have plenty of heat getting wasted as I have tried many things to lower the heat my machine makes. it still holds around 270 even with a lower thermostat in the water box. I dropped it to 140 deg. from the 180 after I checked the water and it was really 195 before it opened up and dropped to around 185. those temps cavitate the pump to easy plus can't be good for the seals. i'm afraid the higher flow will go through the carpet and wet the back. I'm lucky when the humidity is 60 percent inside a house so I have to pay attention. only during the winter will we sometimes get low humidity. s florida sucks for quick dry times even with great vacuum.

Gene

charlie brown

I'm losing it. Thats 4 jets with .06 opening at 600psi. to produce 24 gallons, PER MINUTE. I think I need to down load or look for my Sraying Systems chart. I guess I'll have to replace my #6 blower with something bigger, and go to 3.5 inch hose and 2 CHIMPS NO 3 CHIMPS.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i don't know the exact math but it's calculated at around 3000 psi I believe. so you would have to have 3000 psi with 4 06's to get the actual flow rate.

Gene

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
GeneMiller said:
i don't know the exact math but it's calculated at around 3000 psi I believe. so you would have to have 3000 psi with 4 06's to get the actual flow rate.

Gene

I believe you mean 4000psi, Gene

actually, it's rated in tenths of a gal @40psi if you look at the charts from teejet

example...an 04 jet flows .4 (4 tenths) GPM at 40psi
Whether that equates to 4gpm @4000 psi, i donno

..L.T.A.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
GeneMiller said:
Gene
4000 PSI, actually. Calculated flow with 24 jetting and 600psi at the jets is 9.2 GPM - but you'll never even get close to that because:

dealtimeman said:
and theres only so much water that will go thru a 1/4" hose.

In this case, (600 PSI ATM), 3-ish GPM.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
I just got off the phone with Greenie & his girlfriend had to call 911 because Greenie was beating his head against the wall because you're all pH-ucktards...

Gene: Carpet backing get wet from pressure not flow... He's told you a million times. Try listening. Put the big jets 12 flow jets on & turn the knob on your pressure regulator. Your heat will correct it's self.

Charlie Brown: 24 gallons a minute? Are ******* kidding me? Isn't you PUMP only rated for like 3-5 allons a minute? .................... He're are a few extra decimal points... I think you lost one.

Rick: There is always a newb trying to make the steamin demon argument... Try to keep up. You were only a few years off the mark... Keep trying you'll get here.

Out Of Character said:
dealtimeman said:
and theres only so much water that will go thru a 1/4" hose.

Exactly. Use it all.

Finally... Someone gets it.

gary mackay

Hey hold on now! What is 18, 20, 24 flow? My 12" greenhorn has a flow of 8 I think. There are guys actually running a total flow of 24?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
gary mackay said:
Hey hold on now! What is 18, 20, 24 flow? My 12" greenhorn has a flow of 8 I think. There are guys actually running a total flow of 24?

That's not as radical as it sounds. With 600 PSI and a 100' solution hose (1/4") your 8 flow works out to about 2.4 GPM. With the same hose and pressure, 24 flow is about 3.5 GPM. More - yes, but not triple like the jet sizes suggest.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
dgardner said:
gary mackay said:

That's not as radical as it sounds. With 600 PSI and a 100' solution hose (1/4") your 8 flow works out to about 2.4 GPM. With the same hose and pressure, 24 flow is about 3.5 GPM. More - yes, but not quadruple like the jet sizes suggest.

Bucket Test it.. its not 2.4 gpm at 8 flow. Mabe 1.8. I was running a quad jet with 12 flow and getting just over 2 gpm at 600 psi. If he's running a titatium (I think) with 6 jets total, he can run 04's for 24 flow.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Agreed. 2.4 is a calculated best case. Typical flows will be lower mainly because the plumbing between the wand valve and the jets is very restrictive and varies, as well as the pressure drop thru QC's. I was mainly trying to show the relative changes between different jet sizes, i.e. going from an 8 to a 24 flow doesn't triple your GPM.

Every time I try to take all variables into account, someone calls me on it because their setup flows different. There are so many things that affect the exact flow, including the brand of hose you use, that I settled on standardized numbers, which is good to ballpark the expected performance of a setup. If you need or want to know your exact flow for your setup, then a bucket test is the only way to go.

-JB-

Name
JB
That's where I learntit! :wink:

PAST tense Ole'Green one! :mrgreen:

Yeah, sorry, got sick of some of the SD issues you never hear about, like-

1- flooding custys homes w/loose fittings & drain lines that accidentally drop out of sinks.

2- replacing chepo-faucets w/$300 ones, for stripping or snapping aerators off

3- having to special order 20 year old oyster colored delta faucet aerator cause the tech scratched the old one.

4- having to replace a $3500 machine every two years cause the finish wares off from normal daily usage

5- being told in the user's manual to touch up the paint w/rust-oleum when it scratches and peels, which it will.

6- (the last straw) Calling SD to find out what the tool is to crimp the hose clamps (no its not a screwdriver, they crimp), and getting sold a "hose crimper" for $75, turns out to be a $7.50 F'kin POS ceramic tile nipper, burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me! :twisted:

PS

Also liked going from $150 an hour to $250 OVERNIGHT, w/the new TM! :wink:

Guess it was the FLOW I liked, you can't patent flow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom