Footprints etched in stone floor

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
So I am looking for a little help to identify this stone and find a solution to removing the etched footprints. I know its a natural stone and the finish is course and flat. Thanks for the help and education:

77651362-A440-4AEC-85E9-FE7004B0CFC9_zpsfmczllow.jpg

E55F1A92-C2CE-4239-9006-98E6791865F5_zpsx9lzskwt.jpg

C45824F7-D7E4-4758-84A4-504891E9DF7C_zpsxtzbg3ui.jpg

Name
cameron demille
I'm 99% sure that's porcelain. I can't be certain from the photos, but there are a few things that are red flags for me that say it isn't stone.

If it is porcelain, and it's actually etched, you're in deep poo poo.

Ammonium biflouride will etch porcelain and ceramic, and is sold as "Amazing" carpet cleaner/rust remover, and I'm sure goes by many other names. The tiles will have to be replaced, as this is a printed finish porcelain and not a through body.

Reactions: J Scott W

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Luckily I did not make this problem. What are the indicators that make you think its porcelain? When I looked at it the edges are very square cut with no rounding or color change. No pattern in the room that I could pick up on. The entire surface "looked" as if it were concrete that had been sandblasted lightly with a dull finish across the entire floor. Customer used Goof Off and Vinegar to try to remove the foot prints. The footprints are now a whiter brighter area of the floor.

Here is another view.
236798FE-70A0-4943-AE7A-CF6F93C7D219_zpsohoolzar.jpg

and this is an ajacent room which I'm 100% positive is porcelin.
4EF9DA0F-8832-4775-9C23-79BA3ED94430_zpscox9ucoy.jpg

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
What causes this? I had this happen at a store in the mall. I was using pros choice stone cleaner. What can you clean with if stone cleaner does this.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Yea, you can see the boot pattern in the top picture. I will see if I can get some better pictures tomorrow.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Do they know where they bought it?
I would stop by a couple tile stores nearby, one of them might carry it.

We have some commercial jobs that look exactly like that and its porcelain .
But, but we can be tricked sometimes.

Name
cameron demille
I'm with Mikey. I am looking at it on a bigger screen this morning. That floor looks filthy. They've been mopping it, you can see the dirt caked up on the edges of the tile, down in the grout joints. Also, the second pic you posted (of the original floor) is a dead giveaway that it's porcelain.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
So I just spoke with my customer and they are trying to locate any extra pieces but they are also saying its stone. I'm gonna see what they come up with in their search. I am not the greatest at identifying all sorts of different flooring and I really respect the thoughts and opinions coming from Cameron and Mikey. I also hope Mikey is correct but my pictures are not doing must just on the material, damn iphone.

Name
cameron demille
1. Take a utility knife and try to scratch it in the corner of the room. If the knife scratches it, it's stone. If it doesn't and just leaves a metal mark, or no mark, it's porcelain

2. Take some cleaner. Any alkaline or tile cleaner and clean a section. Use a rag or soft brush.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know what kind of floor they have.

Reactions: J Scott W and Dan

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
1. Take a utility knife and try to scratch it in the corner of the room. If the knife scratches it, it's stone. If it doesn't and just leaves a metal mark, or no mark, it's porcelain

2. Take some cleaner. Any alkaline or tile cleaner and clean a section. Use a rag or soft brush.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know what kind of floor they have.

If they don't come up with a sample the alkaline was my thought process too. Thanks for the knife tip I will also try that.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
No luck on the sample piece. I'm going to peel the carpet at a thresh and look at the tile edge and go from there and plan B is alkaline cleaner.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Why not just pull a floor register, look to see if its stone, apply alkaline and clean with a spinner and be a hero :)

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Why not just pull a floor register, look to see if its stone, apply alkaline and clean with a spinner and be a hero :)

Registers are on the walls. Going out today and that's the plan. I will be also cleaning all the tile and grout not just this one area.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
It was porcelain. I broke out the crb and started scrubbing. After a few minutes I looked back and I was creating the same white etched looking footprints. Hit them with crb again and NOTHING happened. After turbo it was fine.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Lol... Nope, happy it all worked out. Thanks for the swift kick in the ass.

Name
cameron demille
You think that was a tough ID, you should see the latest Corian Marble look alike counter tops

It's all about the lighting. get natural light on stone and it's a dead giveaway. The patterns are getting pretty good in the manufactured product, but you should be able to tell within 3 seconds by looking across the surface with light on it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom