for Lisa wagner

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Real tea dye which isn't actually tea it's natural dyes instead of the crappy sray on stuff !

dye stuffs; Henna, catchu, Kamala, pomagrante rind, walnut husks and a few other things.
P1010726.jpg

P1010727.jpg

P1010727.jpg

These are brewed not boiled for several hours
P1010738.jpg

meanwhile the rug is washed a 160L sino-persian

P1010730.jpg

P1010735.jpg

The solution is first applied to the back of the rug

P1010744.jpg

then the front

P1010754.jpg

then worked in with a brush
P1010760.jpg

left to soak for 2-3 hours.
P1010763.jpg

it's fairly durable ( much more than the crappy spray on tea dye) and resistant to acids and alkaline products

P1010768.jpg

Attachments

• P1010727.jpg
    P1010727.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 78
B

Bill G. Martin

Nice Job...!!!

can you tell us....
A) how much do you charge for this add on?

B) nice looking shop floor and walls....is everything epoxy coated or just painted?

C) now this may seem like a silly question, but tell us about your floor drains?
How many drains do you have and do you have any trouble containing and directing the water
flow towards the drain?

D) Do you own your own shop? If not, any hassel with the land lord and all of the wash work on the floor with worry about migrating water off the floor and into someone elses space?

Bill in Central Florida

Thanks for sharing

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Bill G. Martin said:
Nice Job...!!!

can you tell us....

A) how much do you charge for this add on?

5.00 SQ FT. It sounds like allot of money but it's also a hassle I often turn tea dye jobs down. It shuts the wash floor down so in the time I can do this one rug I can wash much more dollar wise without the clean up. we had a large w/w job today so this was a good time to do it

B) nice looking shop floor and walls....is everything epoxy coated or just painted?

floor and back wall is epoxy.

C) now this may seem like a silly question, but tell us about your floor drains?
How many drains do you have and do you have any trouble containing and directing the water
flow towards the drain?

1 channel drain 3 ft , the slab has a drop to the drain and walls.

D) Do you own your own shop? If not, any hassel with the land lord and all of the wash work on the floor with worry about migrating water off the floor and into someone elses space?

I lease this space, the wash floor is a raised single poor monolithic concrete slab 20x30 all water is contained on the wash floor. All areas outside the wash slab are "dry only areas" including the rug drying rack. The landlord had no problems he took a tour of our old location so he could see how we the space up

John Watson

Flippen show off, How come you didn't have your son doing it?

Thanks Randy, Great shots in sucksession Sure glad there is butt wads like you to help us old guys out.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Hi Randy, thank you for posting that. It's funny because my mother and our restorer Lesley (who does the American Indian restoration in our shop) were talking about dyeing the other day, because she does all her own dyeing of wool for her restoration work - and we just had the Weavers Guild hold a workshop at our plant with Indigo Dyeing of fabrics and fibers for rugs which was super cool.

But we were talking about how in Turkey they save up their tea leaves in large containers, and then sometimes will pack the rugs with them, which gives the rugs a nice sheen and also that darker hue.

I was thinking about changing it from Tea Wash to Starbucks Wash rugs so that I could just buy large volumes of the stuff, and "test" it every morning as a latte. =)

When we used to get red wine stains out with white wine (back before they started adding red dye to lots of lines...) my mother is a big fan of Chardonnay, so we used to make the white wine a business write-off. I like the idea of a Starbucks write off.

Anyway - these photos are fantastic Randy, and I appreciate you posting them. I greatly admire your work.

Lisa

P.S. Have you washed YOUR tea washed rugs a few years after application? Do they fade/release over time, or with use? What about fringes? I know the best tea wash is being done with permanganate - which the restorers often use to "age" and darken wool for repairs. Looks like iodine.

People used to soak their hands in tea for several hours to toughen them up.

Why anyone wants that crap on a rug is a mystery to me.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
The over dye is fairly resistant to most things it is a tannin based dye system. At one point I was doing these by the pallet load and I've have had a number come back for washing. The weak point which is the case on many natural dye rugs are any strong rust removers one came back where a carpet cleaner tried to clean in home hit it with rust remover and lightened it up by a few shades. I washed the rug and made a paste of dye stuff and applied it to the rug turned out great. Thankfully the "Tea look" and this trend are for the most part over !

permanganate doesn't last, it's unstable and It oxidizes on the surface it's what most of the cheap washes t's only benefit is it makes a fairly uniform color.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
danielc said:
People used to soak their hands in tea for several hours to toughen them up.

Why anyone wants that crap on a rug is a mystery to me.

With this rug it's a couple of reasons, lets face it the colors are fugly additionally the rug was moved to another room with another rug that has a tea dyed finish so the idea is to harmonize the colors. This all could have been avoided if the owner would have stayed away from trends and went for a classic rug in classic colors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom