for the chemists out there....

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Ok, so Had a Powerforce II 5 quart Jug with premixed Matrix Grandslam from Jon Don at 2 1/2 quarts for heavy soil, also had three table spoons of Sodium Percarbonate for a booster. 24 hrs later, I noticed not only has the usually seperation occur (normal and too be expected with grandslam) but the bottom portion of the seperated fluid was now windshield wiper fluid blue. Nothing was added to the mix. No corrosion on tubes or filter. Just curious If this has happened to anybody else or something I should be concerned with. Obviously I emptied the bottle and washed it out. Let me know what you all think.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
It is due to separation of one or more organic solvents not completely miscible in water. Some organic solvents used in cleaning chemistry are completely soluble in water. If so, there will be only one visible phase, and all the other components will be homogeneous.

By contrast, substances are said to be immiscible if in any proportion, they do not form a homogeneous phase. For example, diethyl ether is fairly soluble in water, but these two solvents are not miscible since they are not soluble in all proportions. The other components can be partially or completely soluble in the two phases. Those that are not, will settle in either the water soluble portion, or the organic solvent portion. in this case, the colorant used is soluble in the one phase, but not the other. Without the water added, the colorant was simply a dispersed colloid, but not actually dissolved.

In organic compounds, the weight percent of hydrocarbon chain often determines the compounds miscibility with water. For example, among the alcohols, ethanol has two carbon atoms and is miscible with water, whereas octanol with a C8H17 substituent is not. Octanol's immiscibility leads it to be used as a standard for partition equilibria. This is also the case with lipids; the very long carbon chains of lipids cause them to almost always be immiscible with water.

Simply either a periodic shaking is necessary or greater dilution with water can often help, unless you'll d rather switch to a product without the problem.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I wasn't thinking and I added BridgePoint's Flex to a jug that had a little bit of Milgo SR in it. (I thought it would make things smell pretty.)

The day after I checked the jug and the blue color was much lighter and it had red spots and stains all over the inside of the jug. I went to drop the bill off at the place that I had cleaned, and asked if I could check the carpet to make sure none of the spots came back and it still looked beautiful, but they said it looked great and I didn't need to check it. Figure I would have heard something by now if I destroyed it.

Anybody know what makes Flex and Milgo SR do that?

(Sorry 'bout the thread hijack)

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
As I worked my way through the dazzling level of College level chemistry and above. (grateful I payed attention or your post would be foreign.) So my understanding is the bluish complexity of the seperated solution is simply the embedded colorant of the otherwise Tan/ creamish natured prespray which might have seperated because of the addition of the sodium percarbonate (oxidizer) and this could have caused the reaction that would have given up that bluish colorant? Sounds fair enough. I'm not worried about the seperation. Its just the first time the seperation had a much different color. I knew it had something to do with the reaction with the sod. Perc. but just was not sure was specifically. Still interested in other peoples chemical results from mixing match boosters and presprays!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I believe the mixture has turned into a product called SCOPE.

Its good for your breath.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Ah ha, Now we know the secret ingredient that Gives Grand Slam that Minty Freshness. Great for your Mouth, Great for you carpet.

I'll have to check with Jon Don and see whats they think. After All it was both of their products that had the reaction. Thanks all! 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom