For Those Who Read Books

BRSUMMERVILLE

I heard an interview on the radio. The host was talking with Tom Gegay, who created Tire Plus.He sold his business for 2.8 millon dollars. He wrote a book "The Big Book of Small Business. How he and his partner created a successful service / retail business.

Listening to the interview was interesting. To me, it's another version of SFS.

Has any one read this book? It sounds like an interesting read.

Bob Rock

rgerard

Bob,

I read this book about a year ago. It kept my interest all the way through and that is rare for me. I usually skim through books after the first few paragraphs. It is written like Tom is having a conversation with you about his trials of running his tire shop and he hit on a lot of concerns that I have with my business.

I would recommend it to any small business owner, particularly owners with employee issues. I may read it again sometime because I did enjoy it quite a bit and there is more information in it that I want to go through again. Good book!

Randy

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks for the suggestion Bob.

I'll look for it at the book store this weekend!

BRSUMMERVILLE

Big Book of Small Business

Went to Barnes & Noble. Bought the last one in the store.

In the introduction, it mention mentors. Great. Not has easy has it states.

My problem, as I see it. I am the only Dry Foamer in the area of Charleston SC (been cleaning since 1995). Most other cleaners are HWE. I am into cleaning, not restoration (insurance) work. I'm not a 24/7 cleaner. I don't have deep pockets. I am an owner/operator.

I'm in the same community where Al Bradham of Carpet Care Service is located. I've told him in the past that I considered him as a mentor. He is a busy fella. I have stopped by his placea couple of times. I don't want to bug the heck out of him.

This is one of the reason I bought this book. But, I'll still needs to asked questions.

QUESTION: The first chapter mentioning partnering up. I can not afford a partner. Heck, sometimes I cannot afford to pay myself. I've been thinking of having a family member (who help me on big jobs once in awhile) be some what of a parner, to give feed back or a sounding board.

Will this do? Need serious feedback or suggestions?

If you want to make a wise crack remark, go to the bird room.

Can anyone be mentor on this board?

Bob Rock

Mike Brummett

2.8 million?

Not exactly that much in todays economy. Not that I would'nt mind having to squeak by on that amount!

Another great book: "How The News Makes Us Dumb" by C. John Sommerville.

any relation?

MIKE

BRSUMMERVILLE

I'm going to start having a meeting once a month with people that help me with big jobs. The discussions will be about improving the business and solving problems. The meeting will be at a restaurant. I will compersate them by paying for their meals.

Any other suggestions on this idea?

Bob Rock

Bryan Irvin

Hey Bob,

If you have big jobs you need help with, I can help you, I just need about a weeks notice so I can fit it in my schedule. I'm sorry I havent called ya about getting together for lunch yet, I've been working day and night! If I get some free time next week, I will call ya!

Name
Al
Hi Bob and the rest of you.

As I said in the past you are all welcome at my shop, what there is of it. I have had the great opportunity to travel and meet people from all over the world that has helped me and my business grow and I am always open to share. The most I have to share is what NOT to do, I have done it wrong every which way, but still here. I believe we have a wonderful profession that you can make a good and happy living at what ever stage your business is in.

Cleaning is easy, business is HARD. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom