For You Guys with Experience with the Hoss

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Jim, Mikey, Whoever,

I know primarily you use this for resi, and I've heard most love it for nasties. Since I am 90-95% happy with results when just wanding, we do have this one large property management company that we service that mostly has middle end homes but also have occassional semi-nasties, my question is can you employ the Hoss just to clean traffic areas (which is where I sometimes lack "excellent" results) or if you use the Hoss in any part of a room like the traffic areas is it best to use it in all of that room?

Or once you start using it do you find yourself going to it more than the wand? Seems to me it would be most beneficial when servicing a resi that has let their carpets go longer between cleanings than they should or a first time clean that hasn't been cleaned in 3-5 years.

I know I'm about 1-2 years behind the curve but that is intentional since I learned several years ago (2006 Vortex) not to purchase new toys until the manufacturing bugs had been worked out. Seems the Hoss has gone through this process now and it's time to purchase one.

I tested one in my nasty chinese restaurant (they clean every 4-6 months) it did a great job however it took us 1.5 hours longer than 175ing the troubled areas and wanding. However the water flow wasn't correct and I didn't take the time to fix it (new to me) on the job so I can't completely know if it was 1.5 hours slower until I tried it with correct flow, I guesstimate that it would only add about .5 hours with the flow set correctly. It also did not have the upgrade to all the long water flow bars.

Last edited:

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
From whoever -

The main reason I bought it was for a very large commercial carpet tile job. I love the machine for commercial as others have stated a little different results. Also love to dual wand with it. Put it in the bad rooms and wand the others. Keeps a good vacuum seal to maximize the wand vacuum. The flow is not as high as my wands, so keeps the heat high on dual as well. For residential polys, there is not a better answer.

We use it for whole rooms, not traffic areas - seems it would take longer. We still use our wands more than hoss. Maybe 65/35. The flow on my wands is at least twice, maybe more. My assistant likes it, so sometimes I will set him up in a house and clean the truck. :rockon:

Time/experience will take that time difference away as you get past the learning curve.

Reactions: BLewis

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
What I tell most people is that it does take longer to clean but I know for a fact it cleans better just because of all the crap just on the bottom plate of the machine when you are done.

i believe all rotaries collect and dig crap out of carpet but we only have experience with the 360i and the hoss.

Out of the five commercial jobs we have tried the hoss out on we have returned it to the truck on four of them. If the concrete is not completely flat the hoss ( probably an rotary not only the hoss) will kind of skip around and is not easily controllable.

The 360i, was a joke on commercial and much worse than the hoss when it came to skipping around but of most residential it did good.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Im considering getting another rotary. The production time sucks on the ones I have used but the cleaning quality is great. I had a 360i and found it to be cheap and not very durable. I see alot of the 360i in the hoss with the components they use. I think if I get another rotary Im getting an rx20. I have saw rx 20's that are 20 years old still in daily use , those things are built like a tank. I cant see a 360i or a hoss surviving that long

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I know primarily you use this for resi, and I've heard most love it for nasties. Since I am 90-95% happy with results when just wanding, we do have this one large property management company that we service that mostly has middle end homes but also have occassional semi-nasties, my question is can you employ the Hoss just to clean traffic areas (which is where I sometimes lack "excellent" results) or if you use the Hoss in any part of a room like the traffic areas is it best to use it in all of that room?

your better off using it in the entire room...there will be a huge difference in the appearance of the carpet.......but if you get the HLX model....it will allow you to dial it up for better flushing in the nasty areas...then you can dial it back down for the cleaner ones......very noticeable difference between wand and rotary..

Or once you start using it do you find yourself going to it more than the wand? Seems to me it would be most beneficial when servicing a resi that has let their carpets go longer between cleanings than they should or a first time clean that hasn't been cleaned in 3-5 years.

I use mine...every job no matter how the carpet looks....as most that are using them are starting to find out....the machine gets in there a flushes the carpets out....just because it looks clean..does not mean it is...The filters don't lie...

I know I'm about 1-2 years behind the curve but that is intentional since I learned several years ago (2006 Vortex) not to purchase new toys until the manufacturing bugs had been worked out. Seems the Hoss has gone through this process now and it's time to purchase one.

I tested one in my nasty chinese restaurant (they clean every 4-6 months) it did a great job however it took us 1.5 hours longer than 175ing the troubled areas and wanding. However the water flow wasn't correct and I didn't take the time to fix it (new to me) on the job so I can't completely know if it was 1.5 hours slower until I tried it with correct flow, I guesstimate that it would only add about .5 hours with the flow set correctly. It also did not have the upgrade to all the long water flow bars.

its not a machine that you are just going to grab and make it work....big difference between the spray jets and the flow bars....little bit of a learning curve to it...but once you understand it and get the process down you will pick up your time and move better....with the equipment that you are running..you will be more then fine and be able to move faster then most.....the key is to set pace with your machine...not your rotary...so in this case it does not matter which one you use...you have to give your machine time to recover...with that being said...the Hoss is still faster then the others.......

Reactions: BLewis

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Im considering getting another rotary. The production time sucks on the ones I have used but the cleaning quality is great. I had a 360i and found it to be cheap and not very durable. I see alot of the 360i in the hoss with the components they use. I think if I get another rotary Im getting an rx20. I have saw rx 20's that are 20 years old still in daily use , those things are built like a tank. I cant see a 360i or a hoss surviving that long

the mechanical side of me says that the Hoss is going to run neck in neck with the RX and out last them all....no question in my mind about it........

big difference in the machines....

RX...loss of heat...

Hoss....holds the heat...

RX...spray jets....

Hoss...Flow...

RX...some over spray and with the spinning head you cant get close to things...

Hoss.....no over spray and you can get under the edges of beds.....and tight up againest walls....

those are just the ones off the top of my head...

what similarities are you seeing in the 360i and the Hoss........??

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders

I think you maybe confusing the trex and the HOSS on this post. The HOSS doesn't share any components with the 360. The trex clearly was modeled off of the 360 with a little RX20 blended in.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Like Jim, I only clean with a rotary. Wand only for rugs. I find the rx much faster and easier then a wand but that's only because I don't have much experience cleaning with it.
the mechanical side of me says that the Hoss is going to run neck in neck with the RX and out last them all....no question in my mind about it........

big difference in the machines....

RX...loss of heat...

Hoss....holds the heat...

RX...spray jets....

Hoss...Flow...

RX...some over spray and with the spinning head you cant get close to things...

Hoss.....no over spray and you can get under the edges of beds.....and tight up againest walls....

those are just the ones off the top of my head...

I run 8015 jets on the rx along with CD metal hole skids.
I've ran the Hoss for about 10-15 jobs.

The Hoss only seems like it gets closer to the wall but what I saw was 1.5 - 2" from the edges. Rx is at least the same.

I'm sure the RX looses a bit of heat but has anyone tested how much?. I doubt it's anything significant. Besides the agitation makes up for a few degrees of heat loss.

I run about 300 psi and don't get any over spray. Maybe the stock jets do.

A used Rx can be had for about 800 bucks. I bought mine about 3 years ago used. I find it more manuarable then all the others too. To be fair the Hoss I had did not have the improvements of the new one.

Deep carpet cleaning San Jose

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Like Jim, I only clean with a rotary. Wand only for rugs. I find the rx much faster and easier then a wand but that's only because I don't have much experience cleaning with it.

I run 8015 jets on the rx along with CD metal hole skids.
I've ran the Hoss for about 10-15 jobs.

The Hoss only seems like it gets closer to the wall but what I saw was 1.5 - 2" from the edges. Rx is at least the same.

I'm sure the RX looses a bit of heat but has anyone tested how much?. I doubt it's anything significant. Besides the agitation makes up for a few degrees of heat loss.

I run about 300 psi and don't get any over spray. Maybe the stock jets do.

A used Rx can be had for about 800 bucks. I bought mine about 3 years ago used. I find it more manuarable then all the others too. To be fair the Hoss I had did not have the improvements of the new one.

Deep carpet cleaning San Jose

I have never tested it....but that's a big heat loss.....

100_2304.jpg

it gets much closer......

IMG_5715.jpg

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I have never tested it....but that's a big heat loss.....

100_2304.jpg

it gets much closer......

IMG_5715.jpg

Yeah, I'm not saying the Hoss is a bad machine. I'd prefer one over anything else if buying new. Except I would wait a for a few more revisions.

I am giving my feedback mainly so people don't think they have to buy the latest and greatest to be able to offer their customers rotary cleaning. You won't have to worry that your used crappy RX is inferior to other rotaries, because it's not. Also, most people don't even know if they want to use a rotary, so whatever they buy will end up in the garage if they rather just wand.

As for the first picture, how much loss do you think it is?. 10-15% ?. I remember the picture when you originally posted it. What was the psi, jets and the temperature inside?. In that restaurant you were cleaning the extra boost in temperature may have helped. Years ago I got a plastic ring from Lisa and Greenie that closes that gap (easy fix). Also,for commercial the rx will ride un level / bumpy concrete better then any other machine.

The second pic, the rx gets just as close. The bumper touches the wall. After the star is put on, the edge of the vacuum slot is about 1/2" from the bumper (edge of wall). I've never tried to measure how far it does the actual cleaning to the edge because I never thought it was important. At the time I was testing the Hoss I read on the forums that it would clean up to the edge, it measured to be about two fingers side by side. Just because it's touching the edge doesn't mean it's cleaning up to it.

Albert

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Yeah, I'm not saying the Hoss is a bad machine. I'd prefer one over anything else if buying new. Except I would wait a for a few more revisions.

I am giving my feedback mainly so people don't think they have to buy the latest and greatest to be able to offer their customers rotary cleaning. You won't have to worry that your used crappy RX is inferior to other rotaries, because it's not. Also, most people don't even know if they want to use a rotary, so whatever they buy will end up in the garage if they rather just wand.

As for the first picture, how much loss do you think it is?. 10-15% ?. I remember the picture when you originally posted it. What was the psi, jets and the temperature inside?. In that restaurant you were cleaning the extra boost in temperature may have helped. Years ago I got a plastic ring from Lisa and Greenie that closes that gap (easy fix). Also,for commercial the rx will ride un level / bumpy concrete better then any other machine.

The second pic, the rx gets just as close. The bumper touches the wall. After the star is put on, the edge of the vacuum slot is about 1/2" from the bumper (edge of wall). I've never tried to measure how far it does the actual cleaning to the edge because I never thought it was important. At the time I was testing the Hoss I read on the forums that it would clean up to the edge, it measured to be about two fingers side by side. Just because it's touching the edge doesn't mean it's cleaning up to it.

Albert

first picture was taken in 2006.....I could not tell you what I had for dinner 3 nights ago......so I doubt that I could tell you jet and PSI on the RX........but it was a warm summer night because everyone was in shorts....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom