Ford Transit 250

tcdepot

Name
The Cleaner's Depot
Does anyone have a truck mount in one of the new Ford Transit 250's? I'd be interested in seeing how you have it laid out.

Thanks.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I looked at the new Ford Transit. Not impressed. Your layout will depend on your machine, where you like your hoses to come out and whether your a fresh water tank guy or not.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
What were u not impressed with? On paper with the 3.5 ecoboost it looks really impressive.

tcdepot

Name
The Cleaner's Depot
Yeah, I was impressed with the van overall. It has the possibility to do some really neat things to save room on the floor of the vehicle that you can't do in a regular van. My biggest issue, since we're going to install a Sapphire 370 on a submount tank in one, was under the truck. Seems like there is not too much space to bolt to and quite a few things you have to make sure you look out for.

I guess we'll just see how it goes.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
not impressed compared to what?

Mercedes Sprinter. The transit is a first year vehicle from Ford. I thought the dash was hideous and made me feel like i was in a Focus. I was hoping for something a lil more rugged in look and feel. I don't like the wheelbase on the Ford because it limits your ability with wheel well location. The overhead bin with the sun visors felt cheap and weak. I was looking at the 1 tons and the GVW is 9950 which was good but only offered in single rear wheel. The Sprinter is 9990 GVW with dual rear wheels which is a ton more stable regardless is GVW. The Sprinter has a ton of room from the sliding door to the wheel well (36 inches I think). The other problem I can remember is you can only get the Extended Ford in the "high" roof option.
The 3.5 eco boost motor looks impressive from HP and torque but the MPG is still enough less that the Sprinter diesel still out performs it. If you were to take the Ford and ad the Powerstroke diesel your cost is the same as the Sprinter. The Sprinter I test drove scoots very well, both diesel options, and btw, Sprinter does not have a gas option so that is also something I've taken into consideration but even so I would rather ad the auxiliary tank.
I also looked at the new Dodge Pro Master and not a fat chance in hell I would do a front wheel drive and a 1 ton rated at 9350 GVW. The mirrors to me were also located totally wrong, lower than that of the Sprinter or Transit and I am a mirror driver.
I have compiled a ton a data over the past month with all kinds of measurement and layouts and pricing. The sprinter wins across the board but it does cost a few thousand more than the Transit in gas form. Diesel to diesel is another story.

Reactions: Papa John

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
To defend the pro master 3500, even Though i did not go with it

They do have 5-100k warranty on power train
And that low floor is awesome.
And my research did t turn up any major defects

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
To defend the pro master 3500, even Though i did not go with it

They do have 5-100k warranty on power train
And that low floor is awesome.
And my research did t turn up any major defects

The low floor was awesome but they sacrificed RWD to achieve it.
Sprinter warranty is:

DIESEL ENGINE LIMITED WARRANTY
Coverage for turbo diesel engines for 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Diesel-equipped, heavy-duty vehicles also carry a diesel Emission Warranty.
5-YEAR / 100,000-MILELIMITED OUTER-BODY WARRANTY
Protection for the outer, finish-painted, metal panels against corrosion and perforation for 5 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. All panels are covered for 3 years regardless of mileage.
3-YEAR / 36,000-MILEBASIC LIMITED WARRANTY
Basic coverage for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Excludes normal maintenance and wear items.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Dodge Pro Master and not a fat chance in hell I would do a front wheel drive and a 1 ton rated at 9350 GVW

So Dan, do you feel the constant weight of a tm would end up causing front end issues? That's what I would figure.

Seems like there is not too much space to bolt to and quite a few things you have to make sure you look out for.

As far as the tm or shelves, hose reels, etc...

Will any of these new(transit/dodge) fit in a normal garage? Thought I read a 2500 only comes with the medium roof style.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
So Dan, do you feel the constant weight of a tm would end up causing front end issues? That's what I would figure.

My common sense tells me a side mount tranny twisting with a heavy load from the front wheels is not the best of design and will wear faster than RWD. I also feel handling is compromised with FWD, We've all drove a front wheel car and felt the pull when accelerating. I don't see that as a good thing with a heavy load.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
The van is awesome. Fyi and yes it looks like a focus interior, which is great btw. Drives better and 25k less than a sprinter

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Really glad you didn't put a Dodge video up. I think most guys would be happy with the Ford just won't be my first choice. It's actually my 3rd choice and there is no 4th and I'll take a Pinto before a Dodge.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Ford had the Transit vans for about 30 years...definitely not a first year vehicle.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
The van is awesome. Fyi and yes it looks like a focus interior, which is great btw. Drives better and 25k less than a sprinter

Where did you get 25K difference? I haven't looked at 3/4 tons but the 1 ton ford Extended with 3.5 Eco boost medium height is 37K and the 1 ton sprinter 170 extended dual ly 9950 GVW was 43K. These prices are not based on MSRP but what they can actually be bought for without even much negotiating yet.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I priced a medium roof 250 without ecoboost for 33,000 with decent options
Good luck with a 3.5 without ecoboost.. Really? I think my mini van has a 3.6, I wouldn't put a truckmount in there!!

Able 1

Name
Keith
Wait, I might have posted wrong... No, I didn't.. You are an idiot! Do you carry 2,500 pounds in either of them?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Lol well i towed my old 4700 pound camper with the edge. And that was just the 3.5 the 3.7 is not an ecoboost the 3.5 is.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Ford is all that I will drive.. I don't do Government Motors!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom