freedom xt heat problem

renew it

Name
Adrian O'Mahony
Hi guys, I am a new member and i have a major heat problem with our freedom xt 3000. After initial pre-heating time i get high temp from my solution hose, but after a few minutes heat is gone. If i let unit run for ten minutes the heat is back but only for a few minutes again. Unit is not dumping water to waste tank, i descaled machine and heat exchangers, bled hxs', changed thermostat, Unit has been down now for 10 days and i need help with this problem. Any ideas

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
If it has a diverter valve, it sounds like it might not be activating. Contact Shane Tiegs from this board, I believe he has a Freedom. I have a powerclean but I don't know how similar a Genesis is to yours. In fact, if its the same machine as Shanes, I gave him a diverter actuator, so that might be your problem. When the actuator doesn't work, all the heat goes out of the machine without going through the exhaust heat exchanger.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I have a Victory 47XT but I believe the PowerClean systems all have the same basic heating systems. Did you calibrate the thermostat after replacing? Have you watched diverter valve? Is it opening and closing at the proper time? What type of actuator does your unit have? Is it electric or vacuum type? The vacuum type is the best but I did have one of the vacuum actuators go bad. I was able to buy an original Bimba valve from the manufacture. Let me know if you need one, I'll look up the details. Make sure there are no leaks in the vacuum lines and the solenoid is functioning properly. I never had trouble with the electric type but it tends to slam the diverter open and closed, and I think that is what broke the flapper shaft. You could always contact Jim Nappe at Guarranteed Cleaning Supply. http://www.guaranteedcleaningsupply.com/

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I have a Victory 47XT but I believe the PowerClean systems all have the same basic heating systems. Did you calibrate the thermostat after replacing? Have you watched diverter valve? Is it opening and closing at the proper time? What type of actuator does your unit have? Is it electric or vacuum type? The vacuum type is the best but I did have one of the vacuum actuators go bad. I was able to buy an original Bimba valve from the manufacture. Let me know if you need one, I'll look up the details. Make sure there are no leaks in the vacuum lines and the solenoid is functioning properly. I never had trouble with the electric type but it tends to slam the diverter open and closed, and I think that is what broke the flapper shaft. You could always contact Jim Nappe at Guarranteed Cleaning Supply. http://www.guaranteedcleaningsupply.com/

I agree with Shane.....if the diverter flap "broke", there would be very little heat diverted to the HX'ers. I've replaced a few flaps over the years (I have an 03 Genesis, electric diverter). I find that the electrical connections would corode an cause delay/no heat. I moved the themostat dial up to a new panel on top of the machine. I've also installed a relay into the diverter system to increase response time to the diverter, and I've changed the "coil commander", which boosts the voltage to the diverter when activated.

divert1_zps978871b3.jpg
divertt2_zps5cb003ae.jpg

Reactions: Mark Saiger

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
You can also call Jeff at Steamway Express (Express Distributing) in Ohio. He has had repair experience with Powerclean equipment. 1-866-859-1011.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
You can also call Jeff at Steamway Express (Express Distributing) in Ohio. He has had repair experience with Powerclean equipment. 1-866-859-1011.

Whoa.....sorry, didn't notice you're from Ireland. Not sure if the phone numbers will help you. We'll do the best we can for you.

When you fire it up and let it warm up, let the wand flow and see if it's responding to the thermostat call for heat. Start there. Also check to see if that diverter flap has broke off inside the diverter. When mine breaks, the rod and clevis just hang next to the diverter. It breaks right at the entry into the diverter box.

renew it

Name
Adrian O'Mahony
Searching for diverter but can't find it. If i have one where should it be.
I'm a novice at these problems as you tell.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Follow the exhaust header from the engine. It will connect to a square box. That's the diverted. There is a flapper inside which is controlled by an actuator. The actuator will either have vacuum tubes or wires depending on which type it is.

renew it

Name
Adrian O'Mahony
No luck with diverter box. exhaust going straight to heat exchanger. Should blower hx get hot or stay cold.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
This is my Victory 47. The exhaust header that comes off the engine is has header wrap on it and goes down to the diverter. You can see depending on position of the flapper inside the diverter the hot exhaust wil either go straight down thru the diverter to the heat exchangers or out the back of the diverter and through the muffler. TM004.jpg Here is a closer look at the actuator connected to the diverter. This is not original equipment so it will look slightly different than the one that came from PowerClean. DSC00925.jpg The outside of the blower heat exchanger will get hot after you have run the machine a while with the vacuum hose and wand hooked up. It will stay hot as long as you continue to have the hose and wand hooked up.

Last edited:

renew it

Name
Adrian O'Mahony
Our unit has nothing like your set up. Our exhaust comes out of engine at two points and joins into one and goes directly into heat exchanger and out the back and down to the muffler. So it's back to the drawing board. I like your set up though. Thanks Shane for all the advice and pics.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Sorry I couldn't help more. I'm not familiar with the Freedom xt 3000. If you have a thermostat, it has to be connected to something which controls the heat ie a diverter or valve which opens to dump hot water. I suggest you contact Jim Nappe at Guaranteed Cleaning Supply. He is the one who designed these things.

renew it

Name
Adrian O'Mahony
I dropped him an email a few minutes ago. All solenoids seem to be working fine. I turned down temp to 40 degrees and water started to dump. Its not dumping at high temps. Maybe Jim Nappes has a solution. I need to get sorted as work is really piling up. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Name
Marcus
I have had similare problems with heat exchangers......
I went to kero heat on all vans.....amazing difference

less problems and no comparison in heat....

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Why can't you just continue to clean with it. I had plenty of days when my propane ran dry and I cleaned with cold water. Increase your chemicals and scrub it. Cold water flushes just fine. Never had a redo because of cold water.

gene

renew it

Name
Adrian O'Mahony
On some jobs we can use cold water, but recently we've been doing some churches. They have alot of victorian and georgian quarry tiles.
They can be up to 150yrs old. We need the heat for the layers of old sealers and waxes etc.Even with strippers they can be difficult to remove.

Name
Marcus
How difficult is it to change over to kero Marcus.
Adrian
Easiest heater system...
1. Take out heat exchangers...replace with mufflers....muffler shop can do this
2. Find kero heater box....used by pressure washers...around 2000$..(1500$..at northern tools?)
3. Tweet flow switch to 1/4..1/2 gallon.......about 100$
4. Adjust fittings male...female 1/4 inch from heater box(pressure washers are 1/2 inch fittings)
Your ready to go......
The key is to find a light weight heater box(200..300lbs.)

I've had 3 of them over the past 8 years all northern tools
We changed all of them ourselves....I am not a mechanic....
I haven't triggered a wand in 7 years...just tie off the trigger constant heat....
Work smarter not harder

Thanks

The captain

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom