fresh water tank, how often do you use it?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Do you think it's necessary to have a fresh water tank?

Illinois get very cold in winter, seems to me fresh water tank would just be another thing to freeze.

As long as I can get water from the home why would I need a 900$ water tank?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Every job, big commercial would be the only time we wouldn't use the tank.

For us it makes even more sense in the winter to carry our own water than to be blamed for frozen faucets or hook up only to find out they turned all their outside water off.

I always hated frozen garden hose as you reeled it in through the snow. :x

You can always buy a cheap ag tank from a tractor supply if you don't mind the shape.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
this is my first truck with out a fresh tank....it has been almost a year and it has not effected me one bit...I have pretty much covered every job out there with it from the schools to the residential...with out missing it....

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Lloyd Dobler said:
Every job, big commercial would be the only time we wouldn't use the tank.

For us it makes even more sense in the winter to carry our own water than to be blamed for frozen faucets or hook up only to find out they turned all their outside water off.

I always hated frozen garden hose as you reeled it in through the snow. :x

You can always buy a cheap ag tank from a tractor supply if you don't mind the shape.

I use my tank on Every job too. It also saves time. Some homes also have wells and a lot of minerials

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have done it with and without a fresh tank. I can't imagine going back to not having a fresh tank. its SOOOO nice to not have to hook up on a smaller job or one where there isn't a water faucet that is easy to get to. my machine has a sub mount water tank, the tank is under the truckmount and doesn't really add to the space anymore. I love it.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I agree with Steve, they are great to have. However, 99% of the time you can get away without it. But I will never NOT have one.

Adam

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
every job. If need be we will fill up the tank at someones house and roll to the treatment plant to dump the nasty that way we don't have to go to the shop

John Watson

Every body seems to be on the same page, You have to scuse ol Jim cause if its froze in the am its done been boiled out in the pm in his beautiful desert areas...

I have a modified 120 gal water well. We added another float valve 3-4 inches from the bottom of the tank, with it hooked up is series I can have just the 3-4 inches of water in the tank while being connected to the home owners supply (Not packing water weight) or hook up and just open valve to upper float and fill tank to what ever level we want. We normaly kept the tank at 1/2 to 3/4 full and filled at homes where supply access is easy. this as saved us lots of time over the years..

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I clean in 6 months of winter and a fresh water tank is essential in my opinion. In fact, I now am getting a much bigger one to last the whole day. Winter is hard enough let alone hooking up an additional water line. I would never go into the house with one either.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Thank you everyone!

So, in general it's a great thing to have.

Many of you bring up a good point about winter. I figured most people just hook up water supply inside the house(slop sink, bathroom), when it's -5 for two months... Guess not.

Thanks again.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
not sure how you came out with that result when most everyone said they hook up the fresh tank most of the time. It has nothing to do with weather it is just easier and cuts out a potential problem and you have control of what goes in

Jamesh921

Name
James

You can find a water tank in just about any size or shape you need to fit your truck. I too, refused to pay rediculous high dollar carpet cleaning supply house prices for a fresh water tank. Especially when they didn't carry the footprint I needed for my truck.

Did a little research and found an 80 gallon tank with a 18" x 24" footprint for only $180.00 at a company called Chappell Supply in Oklahoma City.

They have all different size tanks and their prices beat the heck out of just about any cleaning supplier for all kinds of different parts.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
never been without one

I remember looooong time ago, working with another guys truck where I needed to hook up to water. Needed more hose to reach the tap than I did to get to the condo!

Plus, I've been to places where they have dirty water. I like to know what I'm cleaning with, no variations.

My 225gallon tank only cost around $300-400, plastic, never wear out

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We stared carrying water in 1985 when we bought our first 5 Butlers. No way would we ever go back to not carrying it- such a time saver and like someone else said control of the type of water that goes in.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Why have a fresh tank? If you are going to hook up to a customers house to fill the tank,
just hook it to the machine.

is this a serious question. Stop take two deep breaths and reread my post and figure it out. 30yrs in and you don't get it.sheesh :lol:

Kevin when you start doing more than one job a day and you run out of water in the middle you can fill your fresh water tank for the next couple jobs at the location you are running out. Now if I hooked up to the hose at that job I would have to hook up at the subsequent jobs but if I fill my tank I do not have to. I can also be filling the tank while doing other things like packing away tools and hoses

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
XTREME1 said:
Why have a fresh tank? If you are going to hook up to a customers house to fill the tank,
just hook it to the machine.

is this a serious question. Stop take two deep breaths and reread my post and figure it out. 30yrs in and you don't get it.sheesh :lol:

Kevin when you start doing more than one job a day and you run out of water in the middle you can fill your fresh water tank for the next couple jobs at the location you are running out. Now if I hooked up to the hose at that job I would have to hook up at the subsequent jobs but if I fill my tank I do not have to. I can also be filling the tank while doing other things like packing away tools and hoses

That is why I outfit all trucks with 210 tanks.
I go out to clean carpet not mess with water hookups.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
but yet you couldn't figure why someone would hook up and you have never used more than 210 gallons in a day. hmmm

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Re: well then, how much can you clean w/your tank?

Okay,

well that brings up another question for ya.

The unit we are thinking about buying is a sub mount and only holds 60 gal.

How many sqft would you be able to clean with 60 gallons?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
bob vawter said:
i worry about SOME of yous kiddies.......... somewhat amus

Now Bawb... I know you're going to get all pissy with me after saying this.... BUT. You say everyone does it all wrong... if you had done it RIGHT, wouldn't you be retired in Florida with a 350k condo, couple audi TT's, and not having to sell steam genies to pay for your sticky icky ?

:twisted:

go ahead take your shot

Re: well then, how much can you clean w/your tank?

jcooper said:
Okay,

well that brings up another question for ya.

The unit we are thinking about buying is a sub mount and only holds 60 gal.

How many sqft would you be able to clean with 60 gallons?

My LEGEND Xl has a submount. I have around 2200 hours on it. I used the tank all the time and never ran out of water even on big empty homes when you would really use a lot of water.

I have the console tank with my EVEREST and run out of water almost weekly. I have done what HARPER said about turning the heat down, but it doesn't make much difference. I think the tank just doesn't hold as much water as the sub-mounted tank.

60 gallon tank for the LEGEND or similar is good.

The larger machines need at least a hundred gallon tank.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
No wonder why ur customers say it takea two weeks for their carpet to dry

Sent from my g2 using tapatalk. Whofat

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom