Fresh water tank?

Frederick

Name
Paul Barbie
Looking for advice on purchasing a 100 gallon fresh water tank that you do not have to babysit when you are filling it. Float shut off features have continually failed in the one van I have with this set up. Getting ready to set up a new ford high ceiling van and I do not want to repeat this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
The Tank is enert and only sits there-- so THATS not the problem.- fix the hardware.

The Hudson valve is ok.
Watts bulkhead- mounted float valve is also ok.

The issue could be that some houses have differnet water pressuure.
Too high of presure has caused my Hudson valve to blow apart or my Watts not to shut off.
Maybe install a pressure regulator-- or weekly make sure the float angle screw is tight on the Watts.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I'm always the Jerk that recommends Butler, so in keeping with that, just do what they do.

Works perfect, every time, for a long time.

Reactions: Mikey P

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The Hudson valve was never reliable for me. Thought maybe it was because they were designed to maintain a full tank or if it was the turbulence of the water around the valve. I finally gave up on it. I found the most reliable is an inexpensive plastic float valve. They are slow to fill because of the restriction in the valve.
I have 2 like new Hudson valves sitting in my office if anyone is interested in trying one.

Frederick

Name
Paul Barbie
The Tank is enert and only sits there-- so THATS not the problem.- fix the hardware.

The Hudson valve is ok.
Watts bulkhead- mounted float valve is also ok.

The issue could be that some houses have differnet water pressuure.
Too high of presure has caused my Hudson valve to blow apart or my Watts not to shut off.
Maybe install a pressure regulator-- or weekly make sure the float angle screw is tight on the Watts.
Sloshing water inside the tank while driving is what wipes out the float type valve systems. Water pressure is mild in my situation when the tank is filling.

Frederick

Name
Paul Barbie
Run the overflow hose behind the rear wheel.
I have one overflow hose that drains right below the tank onto the floor. Will have to add another one to keep up as the water entering the tank comes in faster that the overflow hose can handle. Thought there could be a valve system that could be fool proof and be reliable. Sloshing water inside the tank while driving is what causes the float type valves to fail. Not sure if the new fresh water tanks have more baffles built in to confront this issue.
S

scotty747

I flooded mine yesterday. Again. Look for something that fills vertically, not horizontally. Amazon had a lot of stuff but haven't had time to mess with it.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Easiest solution is to put a larger diameter overflow hose directed out of the truck. No big deal if some water spills on the ground. If you really need a float system, buy a toilet float system from your local hardware store. When was the last time your toilet overflowed?

scotty747

I thought about that, but they fill from the bottom. Need something that goes in the side or top.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I have the "over-the-wheel well" 100 gallon fresh tank in my van. It has an overflow hose so if the shut off fails the water just runs under the van. I also noticed the weight distribution of equipment was not balanced when the tank was full, so I installed a second round, tall 45 gallon fresh tank on the other side of the van to equal the load. It gravity fills and shuts off when the other larger fresh tank is full. Then I can continue to fill the round tank at the end of the job when I am putting things away. Sinic it is now at a higher level than the big fresh tank, I cut it out of the system. When I run low in the big tank, I open the tall tank shut off and observe the level when the 2 tanks equalize. Then I hook up a water source and continue the fill process. By doing this I never run out of water while cleaning.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Set a timer on your phone.

Even with an overflow for filling purposes, you need some way to stop water from running out while driving. The same citizen-Nazis that report kids playing outside during Covid lockdown will call in if they see "chemicals" running out of your truck.

Water running out of a cleaning truck onto pavement here will get you a visit from Ecology and a fine from the cities of Bellevue and Seattle, because they don't bother finding out whether the water is clean or not. The first fine is $450, and the fines rise astronomically after the first one.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
Run the overflow hose behind the rear wheel.
Oh, I thought it was something like this. My Butler I am working on does have the hose out thru the wheelwell

20200527_110657.jpg

Joeytechman

Name
Joseph Kenny
Butler uses an electric setup. Float switch in the tank, solenoid valve control of the water. It works very well, a bit more complicated to set up than mechanical valve.

Reactions: Rob Grady

steve_64

Set a timer on your phone.

Even with an overflow for filling purposes, you need some way to stop water from running out while driving. The same citizen-Nazis that report kids playing outside during Covid lockdown will call in if they see "chemicals" running out of your truck.

Water running out of a cleaning truck onto pavement here will get you a visit from Ecology and a fine from the cities of Bellevue and Seattle, because they don't bother finding out whether the water is clean or not. The first fine is $450, and the fines rise astronomically after the first one.
My driveway is slightly uphill on the way out. If I take my time there in goid unless I gun it from a stop. Or go up a bigger hill.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom