Fresh Wax on Finished VCT

Rock4Jesus777

Name
Geof
Hi! I’m new to this forum but wanted to join to glean from the experience of others on a particular issue.

I’m a custodian at a small private school and have been doing the floors here for over 7 years. Every summer, we utilize the time for floor resurfacing. I am mostly self trained but utilize whatever online sources I can for more info.

With COVID, we’ve experienced things we haven’t before, such as an entire room that wasn’t really used all school year.

My new supervisor wants a fresh coat of wax laid on this particular floor to brighten it up. My question is: there are 5-6 coats of wax on the floor. It has been cleaned with an autoscrubber, mopped with restorer, buffed and swept. It is pretty shiny but could still use a brightening up. Is it ready to take a coat of wax? Or should I follow up with a no-rinse floor cleaner? We have on-hand Betco pH7. Should I use that, let it dry and lay a coat?

If it worked, there should be a photo of the room attached. View attachment 108915

Reactions: JimTrace

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Hi! I’m new to this forum but wanted to join to glean from the experience of others on a particular issue.

I’m a custodian at a small private school and have been doing the floors here for over 7 years. Every summer, we utilize the time for floor resurfacing. I am mostly self trained but utilize whatever online sources I can for more info.

With COVID, we’ve experienced things we haven’t before, such as an entire room that wasn’t really used all school year.

My new supervisor wants a fresh coat of wax laid on this particular floor to brighten it up. My question is: there are 5-6 coats of wax on the floor. It has been cleaned with an autoscrubber, mopped with restorer, buffed and swept. It is pretty shiny but could still use a brightening up. Is it ready to take a coat of wax? Or should I follow up with a no-rinse floor cleaner? We have on-hand Betco pH7. Should I use that, let it dry and lay a coat?

If it worked, there should be a photo of the room attached. View attachment 108915
There are 2 ways to go with vct. One is to do a complete strip/seal and wax, the other is after a strip/seal and wax, they build up coats of finish so that they can take a high speed buffer and just remove a coat or 2, then spray buff.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Some of what Lee said. Scrub with spp using 175
with tank if available. If not, flood floor like stripping but with neutral cleaner. Pick up with
auto scrubber or wet vac. Mop as you go, then neutralize it. Lay 2 coats of finish and your super
will be tickled pink. Thank me later😀

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
You could do pH7 and a light pad, suck it up and do a freshwater rinse or two. Then apply your wax. Do a test with a fresh clean mop and water and see how dirty your water gets first in a section, may not even have to use the pH7.

Doug Rice

Supportive Member
Why would a school with VCT not own the most essential tool for it's maintenance....
Who you going to turn loose at night with an Electric at 2000 RPM or a 27" propane? Its a small private school and not a mega school district with a myriad of talent.

JimTrace

Name
Jim Sheffer

If the floor is reasonably clean and it sounds like it is, do a shower scrub with your Betco product and a green pad on your buffer (175 rpm rotary). Pick up the slurry with your auto scrubber using clean pads and clear water in the solution tank. Mop with a known clean mop and clear water. Recoat as normal with two light coats. Your boss will love the results.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

IHaveNoIdea

Name
Mike F

It's ready to be stripped! Does it have a nice, yellow tinge to it?

steve_64

Spray buff it. You are adding a little wax as you buff it to a new shine. It should be done periodically anyway. It replaces burnishing.. I worked in schools for years and never burnished a floor.

• Eyeroll
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

steve_64

Spray buff was the norm until the mid 1970's. 175 swing buffer and red pads. It was a laborious art.
I could make floors shine like not many could.
In the army they wouldn't step in my room for GI inspections. Stand at the door and just look in.
I actually like running a buffer. A spray bottle hanging on the handle couple one hitters maybe a drink and I woukd work for hours.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Shine Armor either ceramic top coat
Or the graphemeceramic combo heavy duty glass coat!

Why do I havta be the 1st to tell you?
The smart person would jump all
Over this!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom