Freshwater tank on board, yes or no?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I have the opportunity to buy a used freshwater tank for my truck.Even used it's not inexpensive.I'm just starting out and I need a lot of other things as well.
For the money of the tank I could also purchase quite a few tools.I'd like a rotary tool or a prochem upholstery tool for example.I'm not sure I can swing it all on my budget.I'll have to set priorities.
How important is it to have a tank on board.I know all that weight puts more stress on the truck and I'll be using more gas hauling around 100 gal of water.The weight will be all on one side and my truck might handle poorly.And I'm loosing space on the truck.Those are definite negatives.In the winter outside spigots on houses might be shut off and then it might be good to have a tank.What is more common in the industry.Tank or no tank.What are the pros and cons?

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
I have always had a fw tank. Wouldn't go without now, I would make sure its at least 100 gal.

I have a 120 gal fw tank and the same with the waste tank. Its convenient and I don't have to hook up another hose.

Mikey P

Administrator
If I had to choose between a Freshy and my 175 the rotary would win hands down. Not even a question.

Although once you become accustomed to the luxury of a Freshy, you'll never go back.

A standard cargo van does not have enough room for all my tools and a Freshy imo.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Roxy;

Save the money on the tank, and buy the tools you need to make money. You can always buy the tank. I have never had one, but would love one if I felt I needed it. It would be nice in the winter, or even for a small job where you have to run 30080808080897979676858987 feet of garden hose for 1 room.

Other than that, get yourself a nice live garden reel and go that route.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Use money on tools. I'd love to have a freshy, but haven't ever had one. There have been three times I've needed it due to the water being off at the home. Easily solved by paying the neighbor to use their water.

G

I wouldn't be without a fresh water tank (at least 100 gallons).

In the last year there's been over a dozen times where there was no water turned on at a vacant. Probably another dozen times where there was no spicket close (in the back of the house).

You'll use fresh water a lot more than you will a 175 rotary!

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
get the tools
a 55gl drum will make you a fw tank ,cost of plastic drum next to nothing,

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I Second the 55 gallon drum. You can also go to a RV supply and get a 12 volt sureflo or flojet pump to feed the water box. If you just run water directly to the pump from the tank no pump is needed. Just make some kind of steel frame or a strong strap to keep the tank from moving around. In winter climates fw tank is the only way to go :wink: .

Mister Sir

Name
steve snail
FW tank? YOU BET!

In the winter it is sooooo nice, not having to jack w/another water line.

When you get busy, and since you are on this board, you will, what is your time worth?

Trevor Truitt

Roxy~

Since you mentioned budget concerns, definitely skip it for now. Only takes three minutes to hook up a fresh water hose.

If no outside spigot is available, you can hook up inside to most sink faucets (with a $5 adapter) or washer hookup.

Trevor

John Watson

Roxy,
I should not reply since it's my tank that you might buy. First it is 120 gal Hydro well, I will show you what I did to my other tank in my truck. by placing another float switch near the bottom of the tank one will have the option of packing a full, 1/2 or about 5 gal.. There is times when I run with my tank MT other times I fill every other day. depends on my schedule and the type of jobs we are doing. It also has the molded in storage shelf for I think 6 Gal jugs. I saved over 1 hr a day per truck not having my guys look for water and mess with hoses. That was 4 man hrs per day.. There is pros and cons for and against. I also have 2 white 55 gal barrels I will sell you, but, I think unless you have a proper way to bolt them down, you would be unsmart to consider them. I used them in my High cube 14 ft van when I needed extra water when we went to a few jobs where their wells were bad. I have a 200 gal tank in that trk but we secured those barrels good. you don't want 400 lbs slippen and slidin in the back of your Van. and you have mentioned that looks were important to you and your clients.

Like I said you decide and let me know Tuesday when I see you. Bring your list and chances are I have what you want and or need.. If you don't get it someone else will. Heck, Now that Helen and I are going to The Strategies For Success class in May, I may need to keep it and set up another truck for Helen.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Go to an agricultural supply store.

They have roto moulded containers that the farmers put on the tractor and spray weed killers, herbicides, fertilizer, etc;

They come complete with a 12volt shurflo pump to supply the water to the t/m, although you may need to upgrade this for more water.

They can be put in and out of your vehicle as needed.

SQUATPAK_lg.jpg

Code SQ400-S5
Description
Low profiled baffled tanks in 400 and 800 litre capacity designed for multi-purpose applications. Ideal for weed spraying, fire fighting and watering. Tanks available bare for fitting of your own pump and hosereel combinations. · Recessed pump/engine mount · Unique baffled design maximizes equal weight distribution · Screw on lid with breather · Calibrated sight line · Mounting inserts for 1 or 2 hosereels

Key Features :
2088 series Shurflo 12-volt pump & pressure regulator
Topline gun & 12mt hose

Options Available
SQ400-S5-1
20 metres of hose, hose reel included

SQ400-S6
8002 Series Shurflo 12V DC 6.4L/min. pump

Attachments

• SQUATPAK_lg.jpg
    SQUATPAK_lg.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 153

John Watson

Hey short one, That damn tank won't work in the US. The damn fill spout is upside down!!!! Runs out as fast as you put it in!!!! Made for down under only!!!!!! Again Happy 25th to you and yours...... And if he buys my tank I can afford to take you two to the outback steak house when you vist. I know you will be home sick for that upside down food.

Greenie

To tank or not to tank....has a lot to do with your market.

We serviced heaps of track homes, EVERYONE had a spigot 30' from the front door.
Plus we tore through the water, I'd be refilling at lunch every single day, so a fresh was not top of the list.

an extra 100' of garden hose can go a long way in a crisis.

But just look above, plenty of guys couldn't work without one, so it depends on your market.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I think the real question is, if your on a budget, and are in need of a rotary or an upholstery wand....I would spend the money on the tools that make money. As for getting the Prochem wand, I would get the Hydramaster Drimaster wand....way better.

Tahoesteve

Just starting out I would spend the money on the tools that would help me make more money now. Then add the convenience items later.

I learned this business on a TM with the hoses now have a TM with a freshy...would never go back.

JohnnyV

Get a 55 Gal drum and try it for a day...You'll be surprised how much carpet you can clean with it. I want a bigger one now but I won't go without fresh water again......You try it, you won't either.

JohnnyV

Oh yeah it would....either that or all your jobs are over 1200 sq.ft or your flooding the carpet......I can do a whole house or more with 5 jet .10 total flow so don't tell me it wouldn't......

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
It won't last me one average job...sorry. Proof is in the waste tank. 100 gallon tank fills up in a few hours. Just because you can skimp buy on a drum of water, doesnt mean the rest of us can.

G

I have one van with 55 gal Fresh and another with none. Both Fords.

Fresh water onboard eats breaks likes there is no tomorrow. I replace front breaks apx every 9 months to a tune of 400.00. Still working on the original breaks of the other van without Fresh water. I service mostly the residential market with water but occasional Ill get some emptys that have the water turned off. So I keep both around.

Name
Lee Stockwell
That's just wrong. Something is very wrong with your Ford, or someones driving.

By that logic you should try to keep your fuel tank near empty.

I replace front pads every two years. $20 and 20 minutes.

G

Takes more stopping pressure to stop an additional 100 gals of FW than one without. Believe 1 gal of water=8 lbs. Simple math

Besides if you breaks fail would you want the responsibility that it was because you bought the 20.00 break pads.

G

Usually 60-80k with a good set of pads over here..but I guess we drive like granny over in these parts.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's a time saver!

You can say yea but it's only 5-minutes, but time how many jobs a day, times a week, times a month, time a year!

It's worth every penny!
8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom